Moving to Montenegro - visa and immigration help ?

Hello :-)

Is it possible for me and my family to move to Montenegro long-term?

We are from the UK and Philippines and I am a writer so could set-up a company if that helps with long-term visas.

Is it true the tax rate is 9% and no social security tax ?

Can we arrive on tourist visas ? and then set-up the company and obtain long-term visas or resident permits?

Thanks for any help,

Hi Mark,

Of course you can move to Montenegro long-term, and indeed setting up a company is the easiest way to obtain residency. You need to count about 200€ of monthly fees to maintain it.

You will need to pay yourself a salary (the minimum is about 150€/month) and you will have to pay social contributions (about 100€/month via bank transfer + the accountant fees about 100€/month.

Profit tax is 9% indeed. VAT 17%.

You can arrive with a tourist visa, set up the company, arrange a rental lease for at least the same duration as your work permit / residency permit and then apply for the permit.

My main advice for now is to not arrive before September 15th as you will have a hard time finding a long-term let (except in the mountains maybe!!)

Cheers,
Carine

mark9238 wrote:

Hello :-)

Is it possible for me and my family to move to Montenegro long-term?

We are from the UK and Philippines and I am a writer so could set-up a company if that helps with long-term visas.

Is it true the tax rate is 9% and no social security tax ?

Can we arrive on tourist visas ? and then set-up the company and obtain long-term visas or resident permits?

Thanks for any help,

Carine, we are also thinking to come in October/November. How is the touristic season there? Here in Costa Brava by now there is nobody around...

Hey Nikiniki,
The busiest time here is July-August (to be avoided if possible), and there are also a good number of tourists in June and September. It it rather quiet from October to May, but for ex. in Tivat and Kotor you have people living year-round, universities, expats... Budva for ex. gets more empty in the winter.
The best periods to be in Montenegro are May-June, and September-October. Good weather, not too many people.
Cheers,
Carine