Work visas and horror stories

I've had several Skype video interviews with a private Saudi company in Riyadh lately. I'd be serving as a "process manager" for a food deliver/laundry company, who would be tasked with:

"-    Develop and create processes for areas within the company (Food, Laundry, Systems…)
-    Hold meetings with managers
-    Meet daily with [one of the managers, name omitted]
-    Set standards and maintain standards
-    Train and implement change on “the floor”
-    Assist where/when needed
-    Perform other tasks as outlined by [name omitted]"

The position sounds very nice as the salary is competitive (especially for someone just a year out of undergrad studies like myself) along with housing in the DQ, flights, visa, a car, phone, and computer all covered by the company.

I have seen some horror stories, though, from other companies in Riyadh (not this one) where people have been laid off on day one, or haven't been paid for months, or some other terrible situation where taking the company to court would not realistically be feasible.

So my question is this: What are my options in terms of safeguarding against situations like these? What actions should I take during these pre-employment interviews and negotiations?

Note: I haven't seen a written contract yet, but I am inclined to believe this will be a reputable company because the owner speaks excellent English and regularly works with a Canadian non-Arab woman living in Toronto (she's actually the one I've spoken to the most over Skype video). As far as I can tell, he seems fairly progressive and not the kind of person to totally screw someone over, but you can never be too sure...

This would be my first time in the middle east and first time living abroad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What you can do is make sure all what is promised is covered in the contract. The rest is like any employment opportunity in the world, depending on your relation with the company / manager. How you perform your work and how badly they need you. Not all companies / individuals are bad, you have to accept the choices that you make. Doesn't mean a compromise but if you are comfortable with what they offer you then go ahead and be open to have a different cultural experience.

YawnDomino wrote:

This would be my first time in the middle east and first time living abroad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Even if this is a reputable company, given your young age (23 years old), fairly new university degree, lack of knowledge/experience with the diverse cultures in this region, limited overall work experience (due to your age), and zero experience living abroad, I strongly advise you to look for a position elsewhere.  There's a reason for your uncertainty about starring in your own "horror story" with this job; frankly, the responsibilities would be a tall order for you to fill if the position were in the US.  (The company is obviously overlooking your age, or worse, perhaps they think you're malleable because you're young.)  Anyway, add a big dose of the Saudi way of (not) doing things, a restrictive culture, as well as a multicultural/multilingual work force, and you're looking at an experiment that's very likely to cause you a lot of regret and anxiety.  So take your focus off the potential money and benefits---it will not be worth it.

If you really want to work in this region, start with an easier country like the UAE.  I don't know what your degree is in, but try sites like bayt.com and gulftalent.com for job opportunities in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Smurfette's advice is spot on.  However, knowing the economic situation in the USA I know why this might be the only option on the horizon for you.

My advice is for you to do a lot of soul searching after reading the ins and outs (mostly outs lol) on this forum about living and working in KSA.  If you think you can handle it for some $$ to pay off student loans and get some practical experience on your resume, go for it BUT only sign a one year contract.

When I came here, I knew myself and knew I could tolerate *anything* for only one year so I took the chance and it has worked out well.

Best of luck.

any one tell me about the new labor law nitaqat???

I have read all the inputs on this topic thus far and let me give you my experience thus far.

I am very experienced and highly qualified in what I do.
In South Africa I had a good, stable job, with excellent income.

Then in January, out of the blue, I received a call from an agent. Some saudi guys saw my profile on Linkedin and wanted to meet me. I told the agent I was not in the market, but would meet the Saudi guy.
I met him in one of the top hotels in Cape Town and was immediately im pressed with his presence, honesty and just general demeanour.
Later that same day the agent phoned me and informed me they wanted to employ me. Well, they gave me a figure which was less then my then salary. I declined. They eventually went pass my then salary, and added a house for family, car, medical insurance, bonusses, etc.
Being a Muslim and having been to Mecca once for Hadj 12 years ago, my wife sort of convinced me to accept it.
I was not to excited but thought why not.
I resigned my job I had and came here on 2 March.
Immediately I did not like it. I was going to be away from my family for 3 months. Also they did not deliver the house they promised. They put me up in a villa in a compound with 2 other guys. I was last guy in so I ended up with the small bedroom, with 2 small bunkbeds. I had to share a shower and toilet facilities with one of the other guys. The 1st in had the ensuite room.
Also the 1 guy had a car and we had to drive with him to and from work. I did not get my promised car.
On Day 2, on our way back from the office, the guy with the care tells us he has an appointment at a mall. He will drop us there and we must take a taxi home.
Here I am, in the dark, in a foreign country. The 1st taxi driver qwe stopped could not understand a word of English. We eventually got a Pakistani taxi driver who could speak some English.
As he drove us to our compound, I asked him for his phone number.
when I got back to the compound I got onto my laptop, booked me a flight back to SA that same night. I phoned the taxi driver to come fetch me.
That very night, I was on a flight 11pm from Dammam to Doha. The next day at 17:10 I was back in Cape Town.
I think that must be a record for a person staying here.
But I will tell you more in part 2. This is already very long.

But everything worked out for me