Penianado Benefits: International Flights

Another thread ("Coming down for a look see") was getting off-track into international flights, so I thought it would be good to start a new thread.

The half-fare for seniors benefit is one of the nicest perks Ecuador offers. But it's important, I think, to know what the limitations are. I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but the following are those limitations as far as I know -- please correct me or add more info if you have it.

-- The benefit does not apply to everyone 65 or older. You must have the pensianado visa.
-- It applies only to Ecuadorian airlines (if you want to fly home for a visit on United, it doesn't apply).
-- Flights must originate in Ecuador and be round-trip.

Here are the international destinations to which Ecuadorian airlines fly, according to Wikipedia and/or their websites:

LAN
Spain - Madrid
United State - Miami, NYC
Argentina - Buenos Aires
Chile - Santiago
Peru - Lima

AeroGal
Peru - Lima
Colombia - Medellin, Bogota

TAME
Colombia - Bogota
Peru - Lima
Panama - Panama City
Venezuela - Caracas

Notes: Wikipedia says that TAME flies to Havana and Sao Paulo, but I don't see that on their website. Wikipedia also says that AeroGal recently got an infusion of cash, is buying additional planes, and plans several more international destinations (including Los Angeles). That will be something to watch out for, but I generally take a believe-it-when-I-see-it attitude on that sort of thing.

For me, this bennie doesn't mean much in terms of getting home for visits, since I'd fly to Chicago or Phoenix. But if you live in or near New York or Miami -- congratulations.

I can see it helping me in exploring a bit of South America -- I'd like to visit at least Buenos Aires and Lima, and this will be a big help financially. I guess I could take a bus to Lima, but I think I'd rather not.

And, of course, the half-price rule applies to domestic flights, which will help on the several visits I have planned for Galapagos.

Bob

Apart from the Pension visa, is there a minimum age?

defuera wrote:

Apart from the Pension visa, is there a minimum age?

Good question. All the senior benefits are intended for Ecuadorian citizens, they are merely extended to pensionados because holding that visa makes us residents, and under their rules eligible for the same bennies as citizens.

So I guess you would have to be of whatever age citizens become eligible. But I don't know whether that is 65, or some other age.

We'll have to await someone more knowledgeable.

Bob