Living in TripoliŽs city center

Hi!! From what IŽve seen till now, the place that I liked the most (for non car owner) is the city center. It actually looks like a real city, and not just roads, sand and houses... My question is, which are the "cons" of living there, despite the noise? Thanx in advance.

Mariano

mp_garcia wrote:

Hi!! From what IŽve seen till now, the place that I liked the most (for non car owner) is the city center. It actually looks like a real city, and not just roads, sand and houses... My question is, which are the "cons" of living there, despite the noise? Thanx in advance.

Mariano

I live near Souk Mahari (sp) which is pretty close to the center, the only downside (if you can call it that) is the lack of other ex-pats. I stay in a new apartment block with 9 apartments, and currently only 2 are occupied. Travel to a from work is a doddle though, 15 minute walk. If you don't know the area it is just round the corner from The Radisson hotel.

Thanx Clansman, this is a good input. I would still have the driver to take me to work, but at night and on holidays I have no car, and living close to the center would be nice for those days... I might try to negociate with my company to change my accomodations...

mariano

Another thing to bear in mind:

Like-for-like properties in the city centre compared with the suburbs (Janzour, Siraj), are 2-3 times more expensive.

mmmmm, thatŽs also important to have in mind...

From what I've heard, the locals can be very intrusive into your private life, it's just their nature.
For me the fact that every social event is in Janzour/Saraj is enough to make me want to stay out here.

I guess I need to take another look at the Janzour area, I know there are two diferent parts but I just went there at night to a, believe it or not, a small party...

we live in the center - Zawyat Aldahmani, and so far I like it. The pros for those who do not own a car are obvious - you can walk to most places you want. It may take time, but you can walk there. We go for a walk with the baby to the Cornish, Al Mahari shop is in 10 minutes' walk, the Green Square in 30 minutes' walk, the clinic is near, dahra souq. and 20 minutes to work - that's the longest.

the cons are the noise, that the entrance door of our block faces the street - out of the building and right in a rather busy street - not so good for the baby! not so many playgrounds except at dahra, the cornish and the green square - no place to set the kid free. rather few expats (read locals are not used to expats), but after half a year we are like locals - everybody knows us and greet happily. ;) and most English-speaking schools and nurseries are in Gargaresh

Nice info Palachakh, thanks!!!

mp-garcia, hope that you find apartment.
My family will come, though I am looking for a decent place to live in. Anyone can help by certain places.
I had a tour in Tajoora, Garagresh, Zawiat Dehmain, Bin Ashoor, Garagresh, Siraj, etc. They are almost similar, no small gardens for children to play! this is my concern.