We are thinking about moving to belize but i do have tons of questions

I have 10 years here and have just the opposite experience as Popeye and the other Belize haters. Belize is NOT the most expensive Caribbean country, it is the cheapest of the Caribbean and the most expensive of the Central American countries. I have never had any crime perpetrated on myself other than a bike being stolen. The percentages the naysayers use in describing the amount of crime, unhappy people, reasons for coming and going are pure fiction.

Belize is what you make of it. yes it is a 3rd world country with poor medical, but my lifestyle is far healthier than it was in the states.

Everyone does not have their hands out, I know  a lot of hard working happy people who are trying to better themselves through education and work ethic.

There are people who will take  you, just like everywhere. Rule 1...never pay anyone until a job is done or the titled product is in your hands . Do your due diligence, like you would anywhere. And finally, Kumbaya. Do unto others, you will reap what you sow. If you treat people like criminals, they will become criminals. if you draw a clear line in the sand about what you expect, they will either comply or go away.

That is my 2 cents, Now gimme a dollah .

I half to agree, our resent trip was very pleasant ,we went to the village and had  very nice conversations with the locals in Englishsh, no problems . We got back to Miami and could not understand any one had to find a translator

I am sorry I go on this site to talk to people who have lived there  to tell me what it is really like and I thank those who do and did. I do not want to hear what is written in books as I can read them too. I want to talk to real people.

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentRepor … ?cid=11963

Popeye 1 this is for you.. Sorry guys it is a long one... It is not the Perfect place either.. 

Mexico 2012 OSAC Crime and Safety Report: Merida
Overall Crime and Safety Situation

Crime Threats

The Yucatan Peninsula has not suffered the same level of violence seen in other parts of Mexico. However, the Yucatan Peninsula does remain a part of the nationwide narco-conflict. Incidents of kidnapping, extortion, and other narco-related crimes do occur in the region. There is no evidence to indicate that criminals specifically target American citizens or American interest. Criminals select victims based on appearance, vulnerability, and inattentiveness.

The Cancun and Playa del Carmen areas have experienced a rise in cartel criminal activity. The majority of this activity takes place outside major tourist and resort areas and typically involves individuals associated with criminal groups. A number of recent incidents have occurred in the downtown area of Cancun during late night hours. Visitors to the Yucatan Peninsula should remain aware of their surroundings as crimes can happen in any place at any time.

Sexual assaults of tourists have been reported in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and other resort areas. Many of these have occurred at night or in the early morning. Attacks have occurred on deserted beaches and in hotel rooms. Acquaintance rape is a serious problem. In other cases, hotel workers, taxi drivers, and security personnel have been implicated.

See the information at travel.state.gov regarding spring break in Mexico if you are considering visiting Mexican resort areas during February through March when thousands of U.S. college students traditionally arrive. Additional information designed specifically for traveling students is available at studentsabroad.state.gov.

Over three million American citizens travel to Cancun and other Mexican beach resorts each year, including as many as 120,000 during the spring break season, which normally begins in mid-February and runs about two months. Excessive alcohol consumption, especially by American citizens under the legal U.S. drinking age, is a significant problem. The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18, but it is not uniformly enforced. Alcohol is implicated in the majority of arrests, violent crimes, accidents, and deaths suffered by American citizen.

Importing firearms into Mexico without proper permissions is illegal. Importing a firearm will lead to arrest and detention, as well as substantial attorney's fees.

Standards of security, safety, and supervision in Mexico may not reach those expected in the United States. This has contributed to deaths of U.S. citizens in automobile accidents, after falls from balconies or into open ditches, by drowning in the ocean, hotel pools, water sports mishaps, among others.

In recent years, moped rentals have become widespread in Cancun and Cozumel, and the number of serious moped accidents has risen accordingly. Most operators carry no insurance and do not conduct safety checks. U.S. Embassy Mexico City recommends avoiding operators who do not provide a helmet with the rental. Some operators have demanded fees many times in excess of damages caused to the vehicles, even if renters have purchased insurance in advance. Vacationers at other beach resorts have encountered similar problems after accidents involving rented jet skis. There have been cases of mobs gathering to prevent tourists from departing the scene of an accident and to intimidate them into paying exorbitant damage claims.

Visitors should be aware of their surroundings at all times, even when in areas generally considered safe. Women traveling alone are especially vulnerable and should exercise caution, particularly at night. Victims, who are almost always unaccompanied, have been assaulted and/or robbed of personal property. American citizens should be very cautious in general when using ATMs in Mexico. If an ATM must be used, it should be accessed only during the business day at large protected facilities (preferably inside commercial establishments, rather than at glass-enclosed, highly visible ATMs on streets). American and Mexican citizens are sometimes accosted on the street and forced to withdraw money from their accounts using their ATM cards.

Armed street crime is a serious problem in all of the major cities in Mexico. Some bars and nightclubs, especially in resort cities such as Cancun and Playa del Carmen, can be havens for criminals. Some establishments may contaminate or drug drinks to gain control over the patron.

To avoid being a victim, use the buddy system. Do not venture out on your own or leave traveling companions alone. Most crimes, including sexual assaults, occur when the victim is separated from a group or is out on their own. Be cognizant of your consumption of alcohol. Most vehicular accidents and incidents of crime affecting U.S. citizens involve the excess consumption of alcohol.

Road Safety

Road conditions in the Yucatan Peninsula are different than those encountered in the United States. Extra care should be exercised when passing a vehicle or being passed. Non-toll roads between major cities can be narrow and vary in conditions. Toll roads are generally wider and better maintained. Drivers should beware of unmarked speed bumps in populated areas. Driving at night outside of major cities is not advisable due to the lack of adequate street lighting.

Criminal assaults occur on highways throughout Mexico. Travelers should exercise extreme caution at all times, avoid traveling at night, and may wish to use toll ("cuota") roads rather than the less secure free ("libre") roads whenever possible.

Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death of U.S. citizens in Mexico. Motorists should exercise special caution on the heavily traveled expressway south of Cancun, particularly between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, where the road reduces from four divided lanes to two-way traffic on a narrow and poorly maintained road.

U.S. citizens are advised to cooperate with official checkpoints when traveling on Mexican highways.

Prior to road travel, ensure your vehicle is in good working condition and that fluids are at the correct level. When traveling long distances, it is best to travel in tandem with another vehicle. Ensure that there is enough fuel to reach larger cities or towns, as some smaller communities may not have service stations.

The following items are recommended for road trips:

•    Cellular phone and charger
•    Spare tire
•    Portable gas can with funnel
•    Potable water
•    Non-perishable food items
•    First-aid kit
•    Jumper cables
•    Flares / reflectors
•    Tool kit
•    Spare key

Political Violence

Historical Perspective

Americans and American interests have not been the target of major demonstrations. The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation. Travelers should avoid political demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by Mexican authorities. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. American citizens are urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations and to exercise caution if in the vicinity of any protests.

International Terrorism or Transnational Terrorism

There is no evidence that international terrorist groups are operating in the Yucatan Peninsula. However, the Yucatan is widely reported to be a trafficking route for Caribbean and other illegal immigrants, and these same trafficking routes could be exploited by international terrorist groups.

Post-Specific Concerns

Environmental Hazards

From June to November, the Yucatan Peninsula may experience strong winds and rains as a result of hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico or along the Pacific Coast. The state of Quintana Roo tends to suffer the greatest effects from Atlantic hurricanes; however, storms have been known to cause flooding and disruption of utility services throughout the Yucatan Peninsula.

Travelers are advised to keep abreast of developing weather conditions during the hurricane season and to avoid the paths of storms when possible. It is prudent to leave a detailed itinerary, including local contact information and expected date of return, with a friend or family member. Travelers to the Yucatan Peninsula are advised to register with the Consulate.

Kidnappings

A type of common extortion scheme affecting the entire Peninsula is virtual kidnapping. This is a common telephone scam in which a distraught caller serves as a ploy to elicit information about a potential victim. The caller then uses this knowledge to demand ransom for the release of the supposed victim. In the event of such a call, stay calm since the vast majority of the calls are hoaxes; do not reveal any personal information; try to speak with the victim to corroborate identity; and contact the local police as well as U.S. Consulate Merida or the nearest Consular Agency.

Drugs and Narco-terrorism

Mexico is well known for its illegal drug trade and the corruption the industry fosters. The Yucatan Peninsula is strategically close to narcotic smuggling routes of Central America and parts of the Caribbean. Most of the violent crimes and kidnappings reported are the result of various drug trafficking groups exacting revenge and/or intimidating competitors.

Police Response

Police corruption and involvement in criminal activity occurs in the Yucatan Peninsula as it does in most parts of Mexico. Low apprehension and conviction rates of criminals contribute to Mexico's high crime rate. Corruption, along with fear of reprisals from criminal elements, leads most to believe that many crimes go unreported.

American citizens are advised to cooperate with police if stopped and questioned. If involved in a traffic accident or victimized by crime, one may be asked to accompany the investigating officer to a local police station to file a report. A complaint must be filed in the area where the crime occurred. Attempting to file a complaint once one has returned to the U.S. can be a difficult and time consuming. American citizen victims of crime in Mexico are encouraged to report the incident to the nearest police headquarters and to the nearest U.S. consular office. If a bribe is solicited, travelers should make a note of any identifying information of the officer, such as badge number, car number, and name. Travelers should not confront officers requesting a bribe, however. This information can be reported to the local authorities or to the nearest consulate or consular agency.

Medical Emergencies

Private hospitals in Mexico may or may not accept U.S. domestic health insurance, and those that do will expect payment prior to any services rendered. American travelers to Mexico should ensure that their medical coverage plans insure them while traveling in Mexico. Those without coverage in Mexico should either purchase temporary coverage or be prepared to pay in cash, up front, for any medical expenditure. Unlike the United States, hospitals in Mexico are not required to treat emergency cases, and patients needing emergency treatment can be denied for lack of payment. For more information, see the Department of State site for medical issues abroad.

Sometime ago Melly wrote:
"If you have a US attitude of "I want it all and I want it now." You will fail miserably in Belize. If you want to make a quiet and peaceful life without a bunch of stuff around you, you should be just fine. Treat the locals as humans...not as if they are less intelligent beings than the all knowing expat. Join a church."

I especially like the part about having a bunch of stuff around you. Our intention is to reduce the "stuff" in our lives to the  minimum needed. This is our reason for moving to Belize. It has also been said elsewhere on this forum that that kind of lifestyle is not living, "its poverty".  Maybe that is the draw for me. I was raised in a rural town where people didn't act poor. They did their work and accepted life on life's terms. Outhouses and snakes in the house were the norm. Gardening, raising animals and going to markets on the weekend was a way of life, not a punishment. I saw this simplicity in the children on the beach in Belize when we stepped off the boat. I remember the 'schools out and we want to swim and cool off' mentality and I miss it greatly. Except they have an ocean and we had a pond.

What I am stumbling to say is that not everyone wants to move there for the same personal reasons. Sometimes those reasons have an effect on our perceptions of how well (or how badly) things are going. I say it often and I will say it again here; it is all relative!

Quite honestly, if the guy who stole our shoes had asked for them, I would have probably given them to him. Not because he was poor or because he was Belizean; but because he was bold enough to ask. Its an attitude I have here and I am not sure it will change when I get there.

Wow! is all I can say.

This thread has been the biggest Belize bashing I have ever seen or read in my 5 yrs since purchasing my property in Belize.

I understand that those that are doing the largest bashing of Belize are those that have experienced some rough or bad times while they were living in Belize. I have found in my experiences those that have had these horrible experiences were those expats that went down to live with higher expectations of living and become sorrilly disappointed.

For those who are considering relocated to Belize just remember, 3/4 if not more of the country has no infrasture such as being on the grid and paved roads. Grocery stores are far and few in most villages and the stocks are limited. I am not too familiar with areas south of Belize city for the availability of supplies. However, in Cayo and Belize Districts your main places for obtaining any wanted supplies food, staples and equipment is San Ignacio/Santa Elena, Belmopan, Spanish Lookout, Orange Walk and Corozal. If you live in any other village in between these villages you will have to drive 30-45 min to get supplies.

My last point is there are good and bad people all over the world along with crime. Like anywhere, be street smart, know your prices and what is reasonable. Like a new kid on the school yard, don't be too eager to make friends. Size people up first and choose who you would trust and want to be friends with. I am not saying to be ruid just wise, not too eager.

Belizean's are very welcoming and friendly people they just don't like expats coming in and changing them, their religious believes and politics. They know what there infrastruture problems are and they are working on it in there own way. Belizeans will welcome you more if you stay out of that and help them with employment opportunities and to build businesses.

Nicely said Tony!

That's why you are successful. Good attitude.

I think you have earned some time out on the beach in your chair with a Belkin. :)

They EXPECT you to give it to them and very much count on you being stupid.

Thanks for your concern Dorothy. Like I said before, I have worked with petty criminals and the mentality that everyone owes them something for a long time. Those that ask with an expectation and no need usually get nothing from me. Shifty people give off lots of clues that they are closer to criminal than poor. A person just has to know what to look for.

For me, if I see a poor man on the street with no coat who is not begging at the corner, I may give him my coat. But if I see a person begging on the corner, they usually get a list of shelters that will help them.  The list does them no good because they are not willing to give a little to get a little. There is a subtle difference in the beggar and the thief. And there is a subtle difference between stupidity and giving.

We were attempting to do a secret Santa kind of thing in San Pedro a few years ago. We had small banks full of Belize money. Nothing big, just mostly change. We asked a few women who had children if the kids could have it and some said no. It was an eye opening experience. We later asked some locals about the incident and realized why they turned down free money. So I get that some people always want and others don't take handouts.

And there is a big difference in being stupid and be generous. I was raised to share-- no matter what. In our family if one child had a can of Coke and there were 5 other children present, we had to split the can 6 ways. The child always had the option of not bringing the Coke out until the kids were gone. We didn't eat in front of people that were hungry without offering half of what we had and we didn't own 3 pairs of shoes when the neighbor kid had none.

Its values that were instilled in me as a child; I tried to get away from in my 20s; now I am back to doing the right thing. At least the right thing as far as I am concerned. But the truth is that I have very little to give. If the person is truly hungry he will sit down and eat with me. If he is simply collecting money for liquor or drugs, he doesn't want to waste his time. That tells me a lot and that person probably wouldn't get my coat either.

Here in America if I see a man holding a sign that says he will work for food, I tell him what kind of work I have. If he isn't willing to do it he's not very hungry. If his sign says he has a disability I give him info about getting assistance and I go get him a hamburger. NOT the money for the food.

I do appreciate your concern that softies like me get taken advantage of. Please don't be concerned. I'm not the push over that I first seem. But I would spend a day getting a family in true need a meal or two.

When I talk about drawing clear lines in the sand, here is what I mean. the one guy in Dangriga who is always outside the Price is Right, asked me 10 years ago for a dollah:
My reply, in broken creole, loudly so all bystanders can hear:
What does one man wan give nutha man a dolla for doin nuthin?
No good can come from this!
If i give you a dollah for doin nuthin, then I gotta give that man (point to bystanders) and dat man and dat man a dollah for doin nuthin. soon, i have no dollah lef (turn pockets inside out) so why don you jus give me a dollah and we can save some time.....walk away grumbling....No good can come from dis.

that was 10 years ago and I pass this guy every time in Dangriga and he doesn't even make eye contact.

I love your story tony.
Does anyone think it is better in Canada?? I have a story that is over 15 yrs old.  My girlfriend worked in downtown toronto...there was a homeless man sitting where she got off the subway every morning.  Every morning she would give him a dollar (we had paper dollars then).  One morning she had a dental appointment so she arrived at work much later than usual.  To her surprise this same homeless man was standing up counting the wad of bills he had collected from his usual morning ritual. Only then did she realize he had more money than her in his pocket.  Moral of the story...there is greed, crime, drugs, good & bad people EVERYWHERE in the world.  I would not go to an ATM at night ANYWHERE. Just be aware & be smart.
I will say when I first visited Placencia...I never felt safer.  The second time I went with the tour group.  Most of us split up & walked down the main street in several small groups 2 to 5 people at the most.  NO ONE asked for ANYTHING. NO begging, no staring, no soliciting to buy...NOTHING.  I found that a refreshing experience...way different from other places I have visited.
I feel very good about renting in Placencia while my house is being built. Dangriga is a rougher area so I won't be renting there. 
You have to do your homework...lots of it.  We all live in city's & town's now...we all know places to avoid in these areas and we all know what COULD & often DOES happen.  Its no different in Belize.

Thanks Tony. We are taking a Creole class here next month. Its Haitian but I think it will help us anyway. I am practicing your speech above. I think I'll lay that out for the next guy I meet here in Missouri with his hand out. See how it flies.

Reading these posts surely makes me reconsider my choice of Belize for my retirement, coming the first of 2014.  Our second choice is Ecuador.

That aside, your posts still prove me otherwise.

How long have you resided in Belize?

We were thinking of the Cayo district, due to the low cost of living.  Do you have any recommendations?

We plan to visit this coming October.

Thanks In Advance,

Laura

@kayana10

Don't believe everything you read on these forums. Your life in Belize is what you make of it. It depends on your how you live your life and fit in with the Belizeans. It's how you accept their way of living without passing judgement. You will do fine in Belize if you have no substance abuses such as drugs and alcohol and if you remeber that Belizeans are equal to you and you are not better than them.

San Ignacio, Cayo district is a safe community that also has a large expat community.San Ignacio is the second large city in Belize and has most everything available for shopping and supplies. Like every state, province or district all over the world there are bad districts. In the Cayo district between Belmopan and San Ignacio the villagers have limited shopping and supplies if any and travel either to Belmopan or San Ignacio or Spanish Lookout for their groceries and supplies.

Before you pass judgement or form an opinion on Belize come to Belize for not less than two weeks, rent a vehicle and go to Corozal, San Ignacio, Orange Walk, Dangriga, Maya Beach and Placencia. I am sure you will get a good look at Belize, the people and the culture. You will find everyone very accomodating and friendly. Most Belizean's want to make friends with nothing in return but stories and friendship.

I have been coming and going from Canada to our place in Belize for over 5 yrs.

Visit and then re post your happy thoughts of Belize on your return home.

I like what canadian bc had to say.   We researched, then came to Belize to see for our selves.  We like it here.  Check for yourselves.  We live in Corozal in a Belizan neighborhood, not in an expat developement.   That is what we wanted.

To dog lady, Haitian Creole is NOTHING LIKE the creole here.  My husband is from Haiti and fluent in creole, French & English.  I learned Papiamento in Aruba and I understand more of the local creole than hubs.   Your ears will learn, when you live with it.  BTW I think I may have found my dog at a shelter in Belmopan.  will know next week.  kris

Kris--I pray that you have found your dog! I have encountered some Creole in various parts of the world. Jamaica and Haiti seem to be similar but I expected that Belize would be much different. But I think the basis would be good to know either way.

Again, I want to thanks those who offer differing opinions of Belize. It doesn't seem to matter how much research a person does; I don't think I will know much without experiencing the different areas though my own view.

Thanks all.

Hi. did you actually move to Belize. I am reading posts from a couple of years ago. Just curious, if you are there, how you like it.

Hi Musikmaker - My husband and I live in San Pedro - just north - and we're really comfortable and happy here.  We've lived here for 3years and don't have plans to return to the U.S., at least in the foreseeable future,
If you have specific questions about living on Ambergris Caye, I'd be happy to answer from my own perspective,  if your expectations are realistic, you'll find joy in this wonderful country!

Hello JaHo.

Thanks for your quick reply. Gosh, I was thinking Belize is a place I could afford. Then I read awful things about crime, thieves, dishonesty, murders and it is scaring me off. One thing, I have a limited income. I also would be coming alone.

I have been on many mission trips. I say that to tell you I am accustomed to living in a developing nation. I am a person who loves people and would want to get to know those who actually come from Belize. I want to meet people, to make friends and have a meaningful, yet relaxing life. I am not one to do the high end socializing and expensive living kind of life.

One question I have is, how easy is it to keep in touch with folks at home? Is there skype now?
Another big doubt I now have is the comfort for my Golden Retriever. It sounds like even inland, he would be miserable.

If this sounds scattered, I guess it seems like such a big change---- many thoughts are flooding my mind.

Thanks.

You are just the kind of person who would be welcome here in BZ.  We have met and hold dear many locals, all of whom are helpful and loving people. 
Choose wisely where you settle.  Make sure there are others who have come to BZ and can support you with help for your adjustment and questions.  If you're willing to volunteer to help in the schools, food pantries, churches or local,activities, you'll meet wonderful people who are like-minded.
There is crime here, just like anywhere else in the world.  If you use common sense and don't lead a wild and crazy life, you'll be just fine.  We don't walk the streets alone at night or take chances with The law, and we have never felt unsafe here in BZ.
Your pup will be safe, too!  It's not hard to bring a dog into the country.  We have 3 we brought with us, and they're very content here.  It's true that it's hot much of the time, but we do have nice breezes, and ours are protected by the AC when we need it,
It's important to do your "homework" and I always suggest renting before you buy.  That gives you a chance to make sure you're where you really want to be before you make a financial commitment.

I commend every thing Doglady and B M Graig  have said.  I over simplify when I say if you are "country" you will love it, if you are "city" you will hate it. if you are self reliant you will be at home,  if a dripping tap (forcett) is a problem stay else where.   if you don't know a lamb chop comes from a lamb, stay at home.   do your homework, listen to every one, but come for a few months and make up your own mind.   hospitals can be a problem.but I had a week in Dangriga hospital, and my treatment was correct and prompt.  six months later I had the same problem in a UK hospital and the treatment and the conditions were disgusting.      I have difficulty believing any one could move to another country with out first hand experience of the conditions.     don't employ a builder unless you know how much cement he  should be using..when you see shoddy work developing stop it.   you will be surprised at the improvement.
the new version of Skype is good,, I have 30 minute calls to the uk and Malaysia,usually clear with out dropouts.
my smart "dongle" costs    B$30 a month, a little more if I research any thing.. my cable tv is B$42 a month.
a bottle of wine is 50% more than the uk, beer is much cheaper.. eggs and bread are half price.  beef and pork is cheaper, lamb is more expensive.

I have to put my 2 cents in here, though I have yet to move.
Dr Al, and I, and Spiceman have had some discussions here concerning some of these issues, and Dr Al was not always accurate or current or forthcoming with all of his information, with the exception of his first hand experiences, of course. I believe he categorized myself and Spiceman as "DIY Republican Minimalists" - a label I definitely don't take offense to. 
Everbody's experience will be different, depending on where you are 'coming from', your perceptions and fears, etc.
My expectations may be different from a lot of others - I don't expect (or want) Taco Bell, or Mc D's', etc. I don't expect to find a 1979 Chateau Beychevelle to enjoy with a filet mignon dinner, I don't expect 15 types of cheese in the grocery stores, and I don't expect a mono-rail or bullet train. I expect peace, tranquility, open air markets, no frozen food, no (or little) processed food, freedom, new friends and experiences, lots of outdoor opportunities, and the Belizean lifestyle.
:top: Our experiences in Belize have been really outstanding. We recently bought some property off the Hummingbird Hwy, after visiting and exploring several times. We love Belize. We have met many wonderful people in Belize, and have yet to meet anyone that was unpleasant, rude, or in any way abrasive. We eat at local establishments, mingle with the locals, and try to interact with Belizeans as much as possible. We are not, and don't want to be, in an expat community. We do have expat friends there, but we are pretty much "on our own".
Being "white" does not make you a gringo - your attitude and actions do. There are a lot of Caucasians in Belize that were born there and have lived their whole life there. You will be treated as you act.
It is not the US or Europe - it's Belize. It is unique and different. It is a developing country but it's NOT 3rd world - cell phones, grid power, internet access... you don't normally get in a 3rd world country. It's beautiful, has a very rich heritage, has a lot of unique attributes, presents incredible opportunities in many ways, has truly wonderful people, and is defintely the place for us. We are biding our time, and trying to hasten it.

I am leaving the states on May 12 to drive to Belize . Going alone, hope to see some of you down there. Thanks for all the help. Dave long

HI Dave,

How long will you be there.? is this your first visit? Are you looking into moving there? I am pretty curious. I'll be interested in your'report'.

Hi,

I like your answers. You are one of the few bloggers who is from a climate similar to mine, northeast where many are cold but few are frozen. If you're not a Bible reader, you might not get that little pun.

Tell me, how does the radical difference in climate feel to you? I am really wondering about that. Was it  a big adjustment?

Musikmaker

I am searching for a place to live, I drove to Belize in 1999 and don't remember too many problems then. Now I am in the position to retire and plan to move from place to place until
I find my place in the sun

I can answer quite a few of your questions but thinking it might easier in a phone call.  If you're up for it we can talk about a phone number through another format.  My name is Jude, by the way.

Hi! Here are a few tidbits I experienced living in Belize on a fixed retirement. The cost of gas is over $6.00 US currency. Some grocery stores carry American products such as cookies but you will pay a premium price. I paid $13.90 Belize for Chips Ahoy ($7.00 US). Meat is frozen even cold cuts. Produce is sub-par. But you are in a third world country so things are very different. We relocated to Hopkins Village, right on the sea. We did have many positive experiences, and there is a big expat community. Go with an adventurous spirit. Good luck.

Hey Jude! How much tariff did you pay on your hippy bus?

Good Morning! I would like to add a few comments. I am speaking of my experience. I have rented an American built house in Progresso Heights (all dollar amounts are Belize) $800.00 plus utilities. I can go into the village, and order a chicken. About two hours later I can go pick it up. $6.00. Fresh Pineapple free to $2.00 a piece. You can get fresh meat by going to a butcher shop. They do not have North American cuts of meat. Looks like they gave the dude a Samira sword, road kill. No refrigeration! Fish can be had at a reasonable price. Another note. I am white, over six foot tall, and may as well have Gringo tattooed on my forehead. Friday night the village people will open up their kitchens, and for $10.00 enough to feed four. I have walked down the streets at all hours, and never have I felt uncomfortable. I don't see Belize as a third world country, but a developing one. Just me, but I hope it takes some time. Gas was a little over $4.00 a gallon in Orange Walk Town. About a $100.00 to fill up a small car. You can go from one end of Belize to the other by bus. For me it is $2.00 for a ride into Corozal, or Orange Walk Town. Their is a Bakery in Orange Walk Town that make Chips Ahoy the processed food they are; even have meat pies. You can come out with a bag full of stuff for $20.00. Another thing I like to remember. I am a visitor.
Have a Great Day!

Including the two brand new generators, tools and what note under $1000.

Hi,

We are on the Hummingbird Hwy too at Mile 26 just west of Middlesex.  I agree with everything you said about being treated by the locals based on the way you interact and treat them.  However I will tell you one of our dark skinned American friends was just murdered on his property in Teakettle.  But again he didn't treat the locals with respect.

We will be back in country in November as we are wrapping up our affairs here I Colorado for our return.   We too do not want to be in an expat community and prefer to hang with the .locals.  Depending on your interests we can share some interesting "finds" such as caves and waterfalls.

See ya!

Right on Tony.  You hit it right on the money  Now you give me a dollah! Tee  hee.

I TOO DITO   THANX TO MELLY123 ......You sound like someone  I'd like to hang with!   All this negative stuff all in one blog....boggles the mind.... I take it all in and hopefully learn as I go on with my journey.....

thanx again melly123 : :/

Greetings
I'm so happy to read your message. It speaks to my reasoning for finding an ease that the rat race won't allow in North America. So I'm starting with connections here to learn more and there are great insights here, thank goodness! I have a year or to to craft my winter exit. I plan to go again this coming February and start looking at housing costs and locations. Exciting and daunting!
With gratitude,
Kimosha

Just Keep in Mind that this thread is 5 yr=ears old and the prices  given are likely  to be higher, but the cocsepts of how  and where people want  live in Belize not so much.