International School and housing in Shanghai - recommendations?

Dear all,
My family and I are planning to live 2-3 years in Shanghai from after the summer this year (2013). I found this great Expat.com and really hope some of you can help us a little.

Because on a couple of areas we would really like to get some first hand insights/experiences from families similar to ourselves who live in Shanghai.

Especially with respect to the good areas to live in and choice for school for our two 12 year old boys.

As for housing, we do not plan to live in Pudong, yet would love some insights into where in Puxi you would recommend us to focus our housing search (I know it depends on e.g. choice of school but still...) - ? We are city-people and prefer old style/renovated housing rather than newly built.

Any good housing agencies that you can recommend?

There seems to be quite a number of international schools, but which are most recommended and why - ? Our boys have previously during two years attended an american IB-based international school in Phnom Penh, which both they and we really enjoyed.

I look forward to hear from some of you out there - thanks for your help :-)

Best,
Peter

Hi peter,

Welcome to expat-blog, and thank you for introduction.

I suggest you to go through the Shanghai forum, you may find some useful information, about what you are looking for. Hope this might help you.

Regards,

David.

Hi Peter, great to know you thru this wonderful blog. Shanghai is an exciting place and offers tremendous opportunities. We loved to be there but now we are relocated to HK. We used to live in Gubei area in Hongqiao, Puxi. It is a superb area for expatriates in terms of schooling for kids, shopping (massive western supermarket Carrefour - maybe the biggest Carrefour in Shanghai), transportation (both good for tube or driving) and the expatriate community. Recommend you to take a look - well organised and planned residential street with lines of trees. We do have a medium sized three bed there which is fully furnished and vacant at the moment and we are looking for a great family to appreciate it. If you are interested, pls feel free to email me for details [email protected]

Hi, peter,

Welcome to Shanghai!

I recommend the Greencity in Pudong to you. Like Gubei Hongqiao area, Greencity is a wonderful place for expatriate to live, comparing with Japanese/Koreanes in Gubei Hongqiao, the majority in Greencity is from western counties, such as europe, amrica. There are great shools around Greencity, French school, German school, British school.. strong recommend it to you.

We do have a twinhouse close to these international schools and Greencity(10mins by driving), which is fully furnished, with ground heating and garage, and 4 bedrooms and. It's vacant at the moment and we are looking for a great family to appreciate it.

If you are interested, pls feel free to email me for details [email protected]

Wish you and the family the great stay in Shanghai

KEVIN

Hi Peter, for school reviews check out ShanghaiMamas.org. They are family focused with tons of experience.

Most of the international schools are out in the suburbs, 20 min-1hr from city center. So depends if you have a driver/car or what. The international school are close to really nice expat neighborhoods (little america/france/etc) If you want a more local experience live in the Former french concession (Xuhui district) old lane houses and tree lined streets. ALso depend what metroline you want to be near for work.

Hope that helps,
Kris

[moderated: pls post in the job section.]