Vacation

I am working on a trip to Cuenca, Loja, and Vilcabamba.  Right now, we are just looking.  My mother will be 87 in June and she said we can't move until she's gone.  However, we are hoping to change her mind and come with us.  Where would be some good places to take her, leisurely?  Where do the expats hang so we can get as much information as we can?  We do have one slight problem.  My husband has used pot to control his ADHD since he was 12.  It's bad enough in the states, but what is it like there?  We also have a chihuahua.  Will she be allowed to come with us?  Where would be a good place to stay?  We don't want a "resort/spa", just a nice room for 3 people where we can walk to most places.  What would be the best way to get from one city to another?

Vicki,

The Chihuahua can come but the Marijuana has to stay.  Dont sweat though, I was diagnosed ADHD myself and have found many other ways to control it.  We have a tea here called "Antistress", which has a very strong relaxation and focus effect and it is considerably cheaper than the weed also.  SO, if ADHD is the "only" reason he smokes he will be just fine here.

They do not accept Marijuana as Medicinal here and it is illegal throughout the country.  I am not saying it doesn't exist here.  I am just saying it is not legal. 

As far as arranging a trip to Ecuador.  I own an online travel agency dedicated to the country.  I think you will find my services helpful.

My website is themiddleoftheworld.com.  and I will send you my email privately.

Mike

Welcome Vickichiles, I am sure there are many people on this forum who will give you the information you require on the variety of subjects you have mentioned.  If you look at other threads on here you will see much information and links concerning pet travel.  All the information I have gathered here indicates that there is no medical pot use in Ecuador, that the country as a whole does not condone any mind or moody altering substances other than alcohol, coffee, tea and chocolate.  Even the ancient Andean tradition of chewing leaves for a cocaine buzz is not legal.  The plant is used to make tea, but the cocaine must be extracted first. So it sounds like your husband may need some kind of alternative treatment. I would think you would want to explain to your mother's doctor about the trip you are proposing, for at age 87 the flight and change in altitude could be tough on her.  Cuenca would be the place to headquarter your expedition, but you would have to fly into another city and then fly to Cuenca.  Once again, the large expat community in Cuenca will help you greatly, just ignore the ones trying to sell you something.  Good luck in your search.

I agree with most of what Mugtech states, especially the altitude adjustment being a possible problem for an 87 year old.  The only disagreement I have with Mugtech is having Cuenca as the hub for your exploration here.

Quito is the capital with the new international airport.  It is central to the country and you can find transportation to anywhere in the country from here.  It also contains the largest historical center in all of the Americas, with National Geographic stating it to be a must see destination of 2012.

Here is a link to National Geographics article on Quito:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-2013/#/plaza-de-san-francisco-quito-ecuador_61105_600x450.jpg

From Quito you can see the Avenue of the Volcanos, The Cloud forest of Mindo, the churches with golden altars, not to mention stand on the Equator at BOTH of the Middle of the World sites.  The Monument of Mitad Del Mundo is no longer the "true Equator". 

Cuenca is a beautiful colonial city and a major retirement destination, but does not offer a visitor as much as Quito has to offer, when touring the country.

I understand that we all have preferences, and respect that you disagree with Mugs regarding where is " the best place to live "
But.... I have issue with someone that is promoting a certain place based on the fact that they are making money off of that recommendation.
To me, this is a public forum that is set up to aid folks that are searching for information, not a "for profit" platform to hawk ones business. I'm really surprised that your links aren't censored, as they seem to violate the rules that were set forth by the administrators.
Please understand, I am in no way attacking you, or your message. I just think this is the wrong venue to be promoting a business. The moderators are more than welcome to correct me if I'm misinterpreting the guidelines they set up.
Good Luck in your business.
ZenSPIKE

Zen,

I do not make any special spiffs or money for recommending Quito. As a travel agency I get paid to book hotels, flights and tours and such.  It does not matter where in the country they are booked.  My views on Quito are personal and based on my experience.  Please don't take offense to me promoting the city I love.

P.S.  I also never mentioned Quito being a better place to live, I merely mentioned Quito being a better hub for exploring the country, which in my personal opinion is true.  Cuenca is actually a better place to live for retiring expats, with Quito being a better option for younger working expats.

Also.  I don't mention my business on here unless it could potentially directly benefit a client, and I do it in relevant conversation related to their post.  I believe maybe that is why I'm not being censored.  I do leave my website or blog link in my signature sometimes which I feel is acceptable because I am not asking anyone to click.  Judging from the web traffic I get it seems like people WANT the information I provide because my site and blog both contain helpful information for visitors and expats alike.

Mike

vickichiles wrote:

I am working on a trip to Cuenca, Loja, and Vilcabamba.  Right now, we are just looking.  My mother will be 87 in June and she said we can't move until she's gone.  However, we are hoping to change her mind and come with us.  Where would be some good places to take her, leisurely?  Where do the expats hang so we can get as much information as we can?  We do have one slight problem.  My husband has used pot to control his ADHD since he was 12.  It's bad enough in the states, but what is it like there?  We also have a chihuahua.  Will she be allowed to come with us?  Where would be a good place to stay?  We don't want a "resort/spa", just a nice room for 3 people where we can walk to most places.  What would be the best way to get from one city to another?

I see 3 cities she wants to see, none of them named Quito.  Her profile says they are considering retiring to Ecuador to one of those three cities.  Not sure how going to Quito and checking out Volcano Alley would help that cause.

Mike,
I really think you are being a tad disingenuous when you claim that you are a Travel Agency only. When one goes to your web site, you are in fact a " Full Service " provider for all things Ecuadorian, right down to assisting in Visa processing.
So, to me, by the very nature of the link, you are in fact advertising. You drive people to your site to sell an assortment of services.
I'm in no way arguing that you shouldn't be able to make a living any way you like, I was just saying this forum is not structured for profit.
No hard feelings I hope, just stating my opinion. I wish you continued success in your many endeavors.
Stay Well,
Zen

Mugtech,

Ok.  I will stop promoting the capital of Quito in the Ecuador forum unless someone specifically mentions Quito. 

Although you must admit, being that most flights arrive in Quito, and most people stay here for a few days, it makes sense to mention its many tourist attractions. 

I get it, retirees mostly do not come to Quito to live, but most of the clients I have worked with have stayed in Quito whether to visit, or handle their Visa paper work.  While they are here they need something to do right?  They are quite pleased when they get a chance to discover a city that does not get much of a mention in the retirement blogs, magazines, or forums, being that most of those outlets are written by real estate agents and other service providers who have their interests set in Cuenca, Loja, Vilcabamba, Cotocachi, and other retirement destinations.

Respectfully yours,
from Gringolandia Quito

Mike
www.themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com

Zen,

Their are no hard feelings.  And YES, I do help with Visas, which is something I have never mentioned in this forum.  Nor will I again.

I think you living here as long as you have should know you can not thrive here providing only one service.   

YES, my business is an online travel agency dedicated to travelers and expats, so expat services must be provided.  I also can book Galapagos cruises and Amazon Expeditions (this part of the site under construction). 

I feel what I do is a unique value proposition for here in Ecuador, and I hope we will meet one day in person when I make my rounds in Cuenca.  I need to find a Licensed Tour guide that specializes in Cuenca and the Azuay province.  If you know one I would appreciate the contact.

Mike,

Mike,
I will look forward to meeting you. I do know a fellow that might be able to aid you for Cuenca services. I will contact him, and if he is interested, I will pm you a link to him.
Good Luck,
Zen

That would be great thanks Zen.