Living and working illegally in Ecuador

This may seem like an odd question.  But I don't want to commit to any type of work visa.  However I do want to experience another country for maybe a year.  Is it possible to get a place and work side jobs for cash teaching english in Ecuador?

Basically im am suggesting living in the country illegally teaching english for cash on the side while I enjoy the beauty of Ecuador.

For those that ask my reason is that when I lived in Germany there was some kind of rumor that if I got a work visa in another country I couldn't work in the US for a certain period of time.  My worry is that...if I commit to some kind of work visa then decide I want to go back to the US I don't want to be unable to work.  Even besides that...I like the idea that I can just up and leave.

I've even considered living in a hotel instead renting an apartment.  Ive seen hotels in Ecuador for 10 bucks a night!

Anyway let me know what you guys think.  I know this may not seem like the best idea or shady but its really a legitimate question and unfortunately the topic isnt brought up enough on expat sites regardless of country. Thx in advance!

Hello The Giovanniincident,

First of all you should never put too much faith in rumors, they're almost always pure rubbish. How in the world that having a work visa in any other country will have an effect on US immigration situation I can't figure out for the life of me. What your status in another country may be has nothing to do whatsoever with the USA. If you're concerned at all about this you can clear up any doubts with a quick phone call to INS.

While it may look tempting to stay in some other country and work there all while "flying under the radar" the consequences of doing so are pretty darned serious if you get caught. Most countries will toss your butt into the clink until such time as they deport you if they catch you working on a Tourist Visa, or worse still on an EXPIRED Tourist Visa. That big ugly stamp the put in your passport doesn't only mean you can never get back into that country, but it may also prevent you from entering other countries too. Immigrations officers will use that deportation as an iron clad excuse to deny entry.

I know that young people these days think rules are meant to be bent to almost the breaking point; or that rules apply to everyone else except them - but playing fast and loose with immigrations rules can have some pretty devastating results that you may not even expect, not to mention that Central and South American jails are not the kind of tourist destinations you want to experience.

I'd recommend that you rethink the whole idea and give strong consideration to applying for a work visa wherever you decide to go. THE HEADACHE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you for the reply...

I guess I like the idea of sort of freelancing a bit to make ends meet.  The problem is I have a steady income since I am semi retired but....its probably not enough to really retire.

Thanks for your input.

my answer to you will be philosophical..

You are a human, and live on your planet, therefore can do as you please as long as you do not engage in activities that are morally wrong.

That philosophy, of course, will not meet the criteria of the fictions that is imposed on us, such as nationalities, governments, countries, borders, rules, regulations, permits, money, as all of these things are inventions, not created by some superior entity, but by men with questionable morals, and by design, control mechanisms.

haha well said....I am definitely looking at this from a philosophical point of view.

I enjoy travelling...I have lived in 3 countries and have never once been checked for a passport or any identification ever. (Excluding the USA).

One time while walking by an American base in Germany the polizei flagged me down and immediately drove once they heard me speak english.  Not sure if I fit a description of someone or what.  But oddly..no one has ever checked anything.

I like the idea of living low...doing some side jobs and completely disappearing.  I'm sure I'll get sick of it some day and want to return home or eventually make things right and make the new place my home.

I guess im just curious if anyone has had any success in it.

You will need some kind of visa to be in Ecuador that long, as you would need for ANY country in the world. While you may be able to be here for a year without ever needing to prove that you are here legally, when you go to leave the country your passport will be checked and they will then discover that you have overstayed your 90 day tourist visa. And that will result in a fine. You can get a 6 month tourism/commercial visa before you arrive in Ecuador and once you are here you can see how it goes. I would not advise just trying to be here illegally, even though you may be able to do jobs on the side.

Giovanni:

WJWoodward is exactly right that a work visa in Ecuador would have no effect at all on your US status.

Like you, I have never been asked for my visa in any country I've visited. However, I also have never been in contact with foreign police. If I were the victim of a crime, or committed a traffic violation, or were a witness to something -- I might very well be asked for identification, since the cops would know I was a foreigner the minute I opened my mouth. What happens then? Nothing good.

Odds are you would never be asked for your visa during a year in Ecuador. Odds are. How lucky do you feel?

And, as Ecokirby says, you will certainly be asked to show your passport/visa when leaving, and will be fined for overstaying.

It's your decision, of course, but it seems to be a lot of risk for very little gain.

Bob

Giovanni,

On top of putting yourself at risk of jail, deportation, or heavy fines, keep in mind that any "employer" here would not be obligated to pay you for your services under Ecuadorian law. 

You can provide a service, they can deny you payment, and there will be absolutely nothing you can do about it. 

One must also consider your chances of gaining employment in a country that has 100's of reputable Language Schools. 

Mike
www.themiddleoftheworld.com

Just a story.  Back in March, my friends overstayed their 90 tourist visa by 3 months.  They flew out of the Quito airport with no problems at all.  Were they very lucky, or is it the norm?  I have no idea. 

Also, 10 bucks a night for a hotel is expensive.  I've seen them as low as 5.

Thx everyone for the responses...some good info in here.

Ya the 10 dollar one was nice haha...very cool to hear.

I don't want to come to others that im up to no good..i legitimately want to work...and do well there...Im just not committed to the idea of it yet.  However If I loved it there id probably hire an attorney to fix my problem...they are good at that :)