Taxi from Nairobi airport to downtown Nairobi

I will be taking a taxi from NBO to downtown, near the Globe Cinema roundabout, at around 9pm at night.  I know I need to negotiate the price.  What would be an okay price for that time of night?
Thanks,
Jerry

Hy Jerry,

i think 1500 to 2000KES its ok for the Price,because i pay always around the same Price.

Greatings Gerald

I am afraid 2000 is a minimum they would go for. Are you here already? How much did you pay?

I understand why there would be different thoughts on the low amount.  I will expect I should be able to negotiate for 2000kes. 

No Polrad, I am not there yet.  I will arrive the first week in June. 

This is off topic but I just wrote 2000kes.  I have also seen it ksh.  Is one of those more correct than the other?

I think KSH is more popular here, as for Kenyan SHilling.
I live here for one year already. If you are a tourist you have to pick whatever taxi is waiting there. Expats usually have their own guy. Having your own guy is convenient, cheaper and guarantees safety. My guy charges me 2200 KSH, but I live a bit off the down-town, maybe extra half a mile. If you want, you can give me you arrival date and time and I'll send my guy there. This way he will get a client and you wont have to worry about transportation. Are you going to live here for awhile or just visiting for a holidays?

Polrad, you wrote...
"If you are a tourist you have to pick whatever taxi is waiting there."

Are you telling me Polrad that I have to accept whatever rate the first taxi driver gives me?  I cannot pass on him and negotiate with the next taxi if the first one is too high?

Hello,

when i drive always to my finace from Airport(she lives in the near of Eastleigh the Driver want 2500KSH.

Greatings Gerald

Jerry, just to advise you; Globe Cinema Roundabout is very risky indeed at night and getting out of a vehicle there after 9pm...............well, I wouldnt go there after dark. 'Downtown' Nairobi generally is fairly unsafe at night.

As for taxis, there are cabs from the airport - all painted yellow.  Jatco and Kenatco are reputable taxi companies and easy to book from overseas, as they are online.  I am unable to advise on fares, as I live out of Nairobi.

The alternative would be to use one of the drivers posted above.

Oh no, sorry. Of course you can negotiate price. I think it is also ok to go to the next guy if the first is too expensive. However I also saw mini bus (matatu) drivers actually fighting (pushing and grabbing each other) over a passenger.
What I meant is that you have no choice but to use a stranger driver. Whereas expats I know, have their own guy, whom they call or sms. They are more trustful. Not that strangers drivers, especially those who get to the airport are criminals. However time to time we hear here that people are robbed or mugged in taxis and perhaps sometimes driver is one of the gang members.
I don't wanna scare you. Its not like crimes are happening on every corner every day, but you wanna be careful.
Follow advice of Longonot62. I think it is best choice for someone who is new to Kenya.

Just to add.  Taxi fares are subject to negotiation.  You will tend to be quoted an intially high price, but bartering is expected, but do this BEFORE you get in.

Thank you all for your advice
Jerry

hello
What will you be doing at that time in down town?
That area is the lower Nairobi and not recommended for foreigners to be there at night.
Get a taxi from me at only ksh 1500, i will also offer advise when you arrive.
reg.
anna

Thank you for the nice price Anna. I would love to say yes.  My problem with pre-ordering  a ride from the airport is I never have used roaming before.  So I cannot guarantee it will work in Kenya.  If my plane is late, or early, or if the immigration line is long, or where we meet at the airport.  All those need phone capability and I am not 100% sure if I will have it until I get a Kenyan sim card. I wouldn't call using roaming anyway.  just text.  Calling internationally using a US network is extremely expensive. But again, thank you for the great price.  I will have to use my negotiating skills at the airport. 

To answer your question, my hotel is near Globe Cinema roundabout.  It is the Kahama Hotel - rated highly in Lonely Planet as a budget hotel.

Kahama Hotel is a budget hotel yes and a nice one. its just situated in an area that was once notorious for muggings , street boys etc.
But things have changed though the reputation lingers HOWEVER ,I would still insist that you are safe inside especially at night.
About taxi, you are better off with the registered ones, they are situated right at the air port, have yellow line across. The cost is Kes. 2000. averagely.
Welcome to kenya.
Liz

p.s- The globe cinema is not a secure area. Please check out this link for a budget hotel in a safer area: http://kolpingguesthouses-africa.com/ke … /rates.php:)

Hello,
Message well received, count on us for your travel needs in Nairobi.
We will be there to serve you.
Karibu sana

regards,
anna

Lizah, I am well used to colorful areas.  They can be interesting as long as the usual guidelines - things like wallet in the front pocket, walk like I live there, etc keep safety in my favor. You say be inside at night.  What time at night would you suggest?

I have received much help on this forum.  I expect it is a sign of the courtesy and accommodation I will receive in general in Nairobi.  Either way, it is a very nice first impression.
Jerry

hi,
Courtesy and being helpful is our other name as Kenyans.
Hope you enjoy your stay. I'm sure you will. Make sure to sample our budget safaris if you have the resources to spare and time.
And if you like, tell others.