Tourists need to take it easy in The Mariscal

Coming from your feet on the ground in the Mariscal District. I feel I need to share this with you. This side of town is not Compton, but you do need to be aware that flashing your iPad around here could make it dissapear with a flash. You have no idea how many tourists I have to tell to guard their possessions because they just leave them around like they are worthless trinkets.

The bottom line is. People who are unaware get robbed in Quito, pretty often. Not just tourists. Locals deal with this also. The thieves are are bold and brazen. Most of all they are smart and manipulative. They are truely experts are relieving you of your goods.

Yesterday, my wife had an attempt on her while getting gas in her car. They acted like they were neighbors, trying to encite a conversation while reaching into the car. She shut the windows in their face.

I have had an attempt on my cell phone by two 18-20 year olds outside of a Cafe Espanol in the Plaza Foch, but me (being cut from a different cloth) offered them my fists, which they of course declined.

I don't want to intimidate people from visiting the Mariscal because it is loads of fun. But I am kindly telling you to chill on the Panama hat sporting and the browsing your iPad apps while walking Juan Leon Mera.

For more info on Ecuador or Quito contact me from my site.

Mike

Good advice from Mike! I work with a lot of volunteers and students at Yanapuma, and a fair number of them do get robbed while they are here in Quito. "Be aware without being paranoid" is always my motto. There are many simple precautions you can take to avoid being robbed, much the same precautions you would take in wandering around certain neighborhoods in many US or European cities. We hand out a set of recommendations to our students and volunteers - like not carrying large amounts of cash or credit cards or passports, etc. The less you have on you, the less you have to lose. 
The Mariscal is lots of fun, and if you go out well prepared you will have a lot of fun!

Thanks Mike

@Ecokirby.

Exactly.  Do not look like a walking ATM and you will most likely be ok.

I travelled alone with a young child all over Ecuador and never had any problems. I didn't wear jewelry or carry ipads, large cameras or 5 bags of shopping. I was low key and was never bothered. I did strike up a conversation with a fellow on a bus who complimented me on my English and wanted to know were I went to learn. He thought I was an Ecuadorian. He said I fit right in and didn't look like a tourist. Great advice for keeping people safe. Thanks for posting.