Divorce Question

Hello, I am an American woman who married a man from Palestine here in Egypt. I have asked for a divorce. Can anyone tell me how I get a divorce here? Thanks

i hope this topic help you
expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=160716

Thanks for the link and I have read it. But it really doesn't apply to my situation.

you can sue him in the court ( the family court ) and ask the divorce, call me if you want to do that.

Regards

are you married American law? if so, then go back there and file. it will be easier if you're having problems with him. BUT if it's amicable then just file in the courts here, have him served, and then the procedure begins. Just note that the divorce procedures here in Egypt are not woman friendly to put it mildly. You really are better off filing in the US if you can.

Depending on under which system your marriage took place.
It's better if it was US marriage and faster. If it was an Egyptian one you will file for "khole" (divorce without showing cause) through court and it should take around 6 months to grant you divorce given you return back your dowry
Your other option is to apply for normal divorce keeping your financial rights but it takes much more time and you should show cause for divorce (emotional or physical harm etc..)

I am saying those two options assuming he doesn't agree willingly to divorce, if he is okay then it's just a matter of paperwork.

An advice from personal experience, don't ask for divorce or get into a custody argument (if there are kids) while you are in a weaker position, meaning you're an expat in a country where you're not familiar with laws in it.. Go back to your home then decide what you want to do, even if this will mean calming things down until you can be home..

Hello Sr. let me ask you. Are you lawyer here in egypt?

sarahas wrote:

Depending on under which system your marriage took place.
It's better if it was US marriage and faster. If it was an Egyptian one you will file for "khole" (divorce without showing cause) through court and it should take around 6 months to grant you divorce given you return back your dowry
Your other option is to apply for normal divorce keeping your financial rights but it takes much more time and you should show cause for divorce (emotional or physical harm etc..)

I am saying those two options assuming he doesn't agree willingly to divorce, if he is okay then it's just a matter of paperwork.

An advice from personal experience, don't ask for divorce or get into a custody argument (if there are kids) while you are in a weaker position, meaning you're an expat in a country where you're not familiar with laws in it.. Go back to your home then decide what you want to do, even if this will mean calming things down until you can be home..

kindly note that in (The Khole System) you give up about all your Financial rights not just the dowry.

anyway you can check the link :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khula

meems74 wrote:

are you married American law? if so, then go back there and file. it will be easier if you're having problems with him. BUT if it's amicable then just file in the courts here, have him served, and then the procedure begins. Just note that the divorce procedures here in Egypt are not woman friendly to put it mildly. You really are better off filing in the US if you can.

I agree with you, but in The Egyptian Law the Wife does not need to pay money to the husband or make a settlement with him or Divide her wealth with him to can have the divorce.

the Egyptian law give many rights to the wife in the normal divorce but the khole is easier way and faster but the wife have to give up about all her financial rights and give him back the dowry no more.

Regards

Nour muhammad wrote:

Hello Sr. let me ask you. Are you lawyer here in egypt?

yes im Lawyer in Egypt, and PhD Researcher.

Regards

Does the muslim egyptian man who is divorcing his egyptian muslim wife go to the imman for the divorce and does he pay him the dowry?

yes

really??? He went to see the imman and he said he completed the paper. he gave him the money and then went to the court to have it stamped etc. he then collected the divorce certificate. however it is not final for 3 months.

He told me that he had divorced her 3 years ago with the imman but did not get the paper from the court only a paper from the imman?

the paper from the imman is enough, if the man didn't give here the money, then she goes to the court with the paper to get here rights.

thanks so much!  :) how easy is it to return to the wife after divorce?

yes, it is more easier to return than getting your rights unfortunately.

how would they do that? do they have to provide dowry, gold, apartment etc?

I am told she must marry and divorce before she can marry the same man again, is this true?

Also does the husband have any claims to the furniture etc on divorce if he provided everything?

if he only divorced here 3 times