Which bank to prefer

Hi,

I need to open a bank account here. Which bank is better/

Regards,
Dinesh

it all depends what you expect to do with these banks
if its just use atm and normal and check your bank balance then you can use any local bank however if you interested in doing forex transfers and more serious banking stuff,,think again about using local banks, they have limited knowledge about such stuff,,,and can be a real pain

If you would like to open an account with a bank which has the most branches you ma go for Maybank.It is a local bank.

for me, atm availability is most important. maybank has a good network. my choice too.

@Johan Yee & @carlyle1979 --- Thanks for your reply.

I am looking for a bank which provides international transfer of money to Indian bank account online.

I have to transfer some money monthly to my Indian bank account. So any idea about that?

Regards,
Dinesh

u have two options - 1. u can go through your bank through online banking. there is an option for transferring forex money. but can b a tad more expensive but convienient as u can do transfers from a pc. 2. use a service provider like western union. lower commission charged but u will have to find a local outlet and go there everytime u want to make a transfer.

Thanks for the reply carlyle1979. I know about the western union money transfer.

All I was looking for is online transfer of money. I have heard that CIMB bank has got an option of online International money transfer. So can anybody tell me what are the charges incurred and the limit of transfer? Also how much reliable is it?

Thanks,
Dinesh

i think with banks, u basically get a slightly lower rate than the market rate. thats where banks make their money. cimb and maybank are both good local banks with online transfer services. i just prefer maybank :-) ur best bet is to just visit a branch or call up their call center.

maybank easy to transfer money I do every month to UK. All banks same.

Usually you have no choice as you have to have same bank as employer.

harpal2010 : MayBank is good for online transactions & plenty of ATM's. For remittance, I am using LOTUS for transferring money to India they are charging 15RM with best exchange rate bank in your account with in one day. EREMIT is also one of the service provider for remittance charging 12RM per one transaction but bit less exchange rate compare to LOTUS.

Lotus is the best. All the Indian frnds I know use it. Safe and legal too.

This may be far-fetched, but is there a Maybank branch in Semua House? Easy to then withdraw money and go to transfer at the Lotus branch. Safety is a priority :-)

I am doing all txns from my PC, no need to rush anywhere.

sorry gpms, u lost me. so u transfer money to india bank account via lotus? pls explain how. the way i have been used to is actually withdraw money and then visit money transfer place to send money to india bank account.

Carlyle, I will call you today to explain. No need to go to the Lotus guys. Its a 2 minute thing.

what about transfers to usa, which would be the cheapest way ?
tks in advance

which bank u like 2 prefer?

But hard to get a credit card with them as they dont like expats!

Nemodot wrote:

But hard to get a credit card with them as they dont like expats!

Hello Nemedot

Hope you noticed the long time inactivity of this thread  :unsure

Regards
Kenjee