Opening a Bank Account

Hi, I have recently emigrated to Jo'Burg on a Relative Permit, which allows me to work etc for 2 years. Unfortunately none of the banks appear too helpful in setting up an account for me so that I can sort out rent and a cell contract - any advice would be grateful..

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Chris.Cray !

I hope the other forum members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Chris,

I believe there are only 2 banks here in SA that would accept an expat- FNB which I personally use and Standard Bank which I know friends that use them.
For both you need to have a permanent contract with a SA based company and have all the documents they request or at least a company letter stating that they will back up your information.

Hope that helps

S

[moderated: off topic + pls start your own topic]

hi

if you are employed by a South African company, please go to the bank with a letter of employment and their work man compensation certificate

Regards

Emmanuel

Thanks it's off to FNP for me tomorrow then , how long for it all to go through , typically ?

FNB shoul issue you with an account number and card immediately, i know Standard Bank SA does

Regards

Emmanuel

Fn b were brilliant , even was dragged over to meet the branch manager. All sorted effortlessly , thanks Brian

.. opening an account, even without making an initial deposit?

Yes ! My pay goes in on the 15th June though.

Brilliant, I am going right away