Dog in Stuttgart

Hello Everybody;

I am planning to move to Stuttgart in the next months with my dog.

I haven't got my dog yet, still looking for breeds so my concern is how is the life of a medium sized dog owner in Stuttgart downtown.

I am very attracted to dogs that are wrongly perceived as aggressive so before I get a breed I wanted your opinion about this.

If I had it my way I would love to get a Doberman or an American Bulldog but it seems that I ll have to many issues so I have narrowed it down to a Boxer.

My life is very active so the dog will have its share of daily exercise (daily runs with me, etc) and will rarely be alone.

Thanks for your feed back.

a boxer is good breed.

Hello,

Stuttgart has got a lot of parks and also woods where yo could walk/jogg with your dog:). But it is important to know, that dogs have to walk on the leash in all woods and in parks :(- there are even policemen who walk in civil clothing for to check that..if you are found walking with your dog without a leash, the fine will be between 40 and 70 Euro. So it is recommended, e.g. to buy a longer leash. I would highly recommend not to bind the dog in front of a supermarket, because this year already three dogs have been stolen in Stuttgart in front of Supermarkets. Also please do not let you dog alone in the car in the summertime- even in a very short time, a dog can dye there - there was also a case in Stuttgart where three dogs died because their owner had let them in the car while going for shopping only 30 minutes- the temperature at that day was about 25 degree. I assume that your landlord in Germany has accepted that you keep a dog in the apartment/house, so you are one of the lucky with an animal friendly landlord. Good areas to walk with a dog are the following: Stuttgart Kräherwald/Feuerbacher Tal, Stuttgart Sonnenberg , Stuttgart Sommerrain/ Fellbach on the fields, or in the wineyards, which you also find near Heilbronner Straße, which is located quiet ce ntral. I wish you and your dog a good time in Stuttgart!

Thank you very much for the info....I am inclined to a medium size dog (boxer, etc) is there a particular unwritten law about having this kind of dogs in an apt / city.

The dog wont be left alone and come with me to the office so he will be a happy camper...

Hi,  until some month before, the law was like this that tenants had to ask the landlords if a dog in the apartment is allowed. But 2-3 month before, a German court decided in one case, that tenants do not have to ask the landlord regarding this topic anymore, (here is a link to this rechtsindex.de/mietrecht/3259-urteil-generelles-verbot-von-hunde-und-katzenhaltung-in-der -maybe you can translate it with Google translator-

But anyway, I would highly recommend you to ask your landlord if it is okay to keep a dog- just for to avoid trouble and arguments and also to avoid the situation, that in worst case the dog would have to go back and then would be homeless:((....- but I keep my fingers crossed for you that all will be ok:)!It is great that your dog will be able to come to work with you- I:)- super!Best regards and good luck!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any dog parks in the vicinity  of downtown Stuttgart ZIP code 70182 area?

VR/

Hi Annette, was just wondering if you have managed to find a dog park yet? How about arranging doggie walks? Would anyone be up for that? I have a beautiful Lam/ Chow Chow mix..