Looking for a job!

Hi,

I am graduating in July in Social Psychology and Training and Development at the University of Amsterdam.
And I am looking for an entry-level job in the field of communication, training or marketing in São Paulo.

Need some help on where to look. Do you (or someone in your network) know any job openings? Please let me know!

Thank you :)

Danae89

Hi Danae89,

The information and advice I'm about to give you is the same for everyone who asks me.

First off, you must understand that obtaining work here in Brazil is far from being an easy task for any foreigner since the laws here require all employers clearly demonstrate that they've exhausted all avenues to place a qualified Brazilian in any vacancy before they can hire a foreigner to fill it. No ifs, ands or buts. Only those graduated in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) area fields find it a bit easier, but not much.

As far as actually finding work is concerned the simplest way by far, if you can't afford to come here for an extended period of time on a tourist visa and do a job search, is to contact multinational companies in your home country which have operations in Brazil and ask if they have vacancies here, further if so are they able either to help place you or at least put you in contact with the right people in their HR Department here. Obviously they must be companies for whom your skills are marketable. In some cases (i.e. for lawyers, medical doctors, engineers, etc.) there is also the concern of having their foreign diplomas recognized here - see separate topic posting on Revalidation of Foreing Diplomas. This is a whole different level of bureaucracy apart from the issues of finding work and immigrations.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=177474

Fortunately, in general terms many of the companies will offer new candidates assistance with all aspects of the immigration process.

Hope this helps not only you clear up any doubts about your job search prospects, but also any other member who is thinking of looking for work here.

Also, you must always bear in mind that with the European economic situation such as it is, there is a very long line of Europeans looking to abandon a sinking ship who look at Brazil as a possible lifeboat - so you're facing lots of competition.

Very much easier if you've got the money to invest in starting up a business or invest in an existing business (R$150.000,00 about US$74,000.00) to apply for a Permanent Visa for Investors, which is the least bureaucratic of all of them to obtain.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Dear William, thank you so much for your quick response. Would it make a difference if I would only look for a project at a company to work for 6 months or a year? Especially now the world cup is going to be in Sao Paulo next year?

Danae

Hi Danae,

It is highly unlikely that would make any difference whatsoever. At any rate the bureaucracy will be exactly the same if you were coming to Brazil to work for 90 days or for 2 years.

As I mentioned the only way it gets easier is for those in STEM field professions, and even then it's not a whole lot easier.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team