What is life like in Atyrau?

Hi All:

I am a Canadian Mechanical Engineer, with a possible offer to come work in Atyrau. I know nothing about the place, but the offer (as far as pay goes at least) seems very generous. But it seems like any available information online about this place is very limited.

The offer would likely be with Shell Oil, but still I know nothing about the housing or accommodations I can expect, the internet speed, things to do there, sports & exercise facilities, gyms, safety and security concerns, restaurants, transportation, night life, etc.

What about the cost of living out there, compared to, say, Canada? Will my money go far less further there?

I am married with a small child (2 yrs old), and we also have a small, wonderful and playful dog, I would want to bring them with me as well, but I heard that stray dogs roam the streets everythwere out there...is this true? Or would we be in a secure compound, with no stray dogs around, in a safe place for my dog? Would you say it's a safe enough place for my wife and family to come to Atyrau to live with me while I work here, provided we are careful and only stay in and around the best / safest places?

And, of course, I am at work all day, so I would want to know that my wife and family would be safe during the day while I am away from them, busy working in my job.

Any information anyone can provide me would be great. Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Dachshundman1

[moderated: no free ads please]

Definetly life in Atyray is different from Canadian. However we have safe residential communities for living in. Usualy families prefer to rent townhouses in the safe area. As for the dogs, no one will stray the dog if it is not walking alone. You can contact me for any help you need.

Hi there,
I'm in a similar position (except the dog is a golden retriever and the baby is 14 months old). Did you end up in atryau? What have you found out? I'm considering a job offer and would be very interested to hear more about your experience.  I'm actually on my phone in an airport now, so this will be short but I have a lot of questions if you've got time.

Hi duffman53,

If you will work for an O&G major here in Atyrau, there will be no problem when it comes to accommodation, transportation etc. They offer ranges of housing depending on the size of family. Internet are fast, telephone provision for international calls are free. A lot of restaurant and bars to choose. Atyrau is quiet nice and peaceful. People are lovely and friendly.

@ SilverwindXIII > Just to inform you that you have replied to an old thread here (2013).

However, thank you for your contribution !

Priscilla :)

Hi duffman53,
Let me know if you are already in Atyrau or still cosidering the offer. It took me 3-4 months to get the visa. I started the paperwork back in Sept 2014 and arrived Atyrau early Jan 2015. The city is safe and the people are friendly. However, whether you should bring your family over or not, it depends on your work schedule and family situation. In my personal experience, it's not worth bringing my family over because:
1. My daughters are in elementary school.
2. I'm working 60 hours per week.
3. There are not many attractions for your family to explore as compared to other cities or countries.
4. I'm on a rotation of 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off. So it's better to keep my family back home than bringing them over here and I visit them after every 6 weeks.
Take note that the international calls are not free. But there are ways to keep the communication back home free via provide wifi and internet services such as skype, viber, what's app, etc. I even brought with me a VoIP device (Ooma, magicjack, etc.) which uses internet and allows me to call USA for free, as if I'm in the USA. The mobile data here are 4G speed.

Hi everyone,
I am an IT Project Manager from Canada and considering a job offer for a company in Atyrau and have some questions. I would appreciate if anyone can help, so that I can decide whether to move or not.
1- Security: Is this city (Atyrau) safe? Are you comfortable living/walking around any time of the day?
2- Accomodation: What is living situation over there as compared to Canada (I read a comment below from a fellow Canadian and American and an update would be great from you)? Would you only consider living in a compound or a hotel is secure/safe?
3- How expensive is this place, for hotel/food etc?
4- If I go there, I would be meeting clients in 'Tengiz' city. Does anyone know anything about it? same questions for this place around security/safety etc.
5- What is the culture over and specially in these two cities?

I would welcome any responses and thanks in advance
Cheers