Asthma Medication

Hi All,

I'm trying to get our medications figured out before leaving for KL. Does anyone use any daily asthma medications in KL? I'm wondering about availability of different medications in another country.

Here is my list: albuterol inhaler, flovent (fluticasone), asmanex twisthaler (mometasone furoate inhalation powder), singulair  (montelukast).

I don't TAKE all of these.... but I would rather switch now than wait until we arrive.

Thank You!

Hi eaam!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi eeam,

I got 'Asthalin HFA' which should be the same as Albuterol. 100 µg of Salbutamol per dose and available without prescription. They had others too but I don't really remember the ingredients. You don't have to worry so much as pretty much most of the meds are available here. If you really want to dig into it, use the MOH's list of registered products and search by active ingredient.

http://www.bpfk.gov.my/Search/Search_product.asp

When are you coming to KL?

Hi Eeam,

All of those you mentioned are easily available over the counter of course subject to stock availability of the different pharmacies(even though the steroid inhalers are prescription only medication. Malaysian pharmacies do not follow strictly to this ruling due to certain circumstances). All except for the mometasone inhalation powder that is not available in Malaysia.  You may want to get your physician to make the change first. 

Hope that helps

Salbutamol, FLuticasone and Montelukast is available here. It is listed in the Malaysian Drug Formulary. Shouldnt be a problem. Any private or government hospital will carry those. Not sure about the other one though.