Current Recruitment Situation in Dubai

Hi Members,

I just realized, I should let everyone know what is going on in terms of opportunities in Dubai.

Post recession (I'd like to call it 'post' since we are back on track fortunately), life is tougher for a 'job seeker'. Imagine being chased down by a recruiter in trying to persuade you in taking up a job, well, thats not here anymore.. Recruiters are more or less either fishing in the market, increasing database size or sleeping at home.

Some have started billing candidates with stupid engagement fees, and some say your CV is not professional, and hence bill them that way. This btw, is against the Labor Laws of UAE. No Candidate can be charged against an engagement fee or a promise that you will be put in front of a 'potential' employer.

If a Candidate goes to an Executive Search Firm, well, your basically wasting your time, because not a lot of Employers are hiring via such firms, because it is a cost, and ever since September 2008, Employers have understood one very useful thing, STOP CRAZY HIRING.. All the big recruitment and manpower budgets Employers had have lessened drastically (and i mean drastically), if there recruitment budget was 2 million for 2008, there recruitment budget today is 100,000 dhs, so it is drastic, only kept for hiring immediate filling positions, that too upper hierarchy level. So, dont waste a lot of time in going through Executive Search Firms, they usually tend to put up advertisements for database collections.

If a Candidate registers with Companies like, Bayt.com, Monstergulf, Gulf Talent, Recruit Gulf etc, the chances of your CV getting noticed and missed out is because, post recession, each job advertisement generates at least 1000 absolutely perfect candidates for the job. You wont get noticed. You'll need to refresh, log in - log out every day, every minute, to keep your CV active, and hence, do that daily, and you'll be considered a cyber freak ! Yes, employers use this tool to recruit, so my suggestion is to create multiple CVs for e.g. if your an Accountant, then create different CVs specializing in different accounting domains i.e. payroll, payables, receivables, trial balance, audit, finance etc etc. and then sign up for automated search responses against key words. Spend at least two hours daily, in going through all job sites, then, enjoy your beer and watch football/desperate housewives..

You are up against thousands of perfect job seekers who are already based in Dubai, so, if you have the resources, then take time out and fly to Dubai, at least 2-3 weeks and then look for a job. Employers do not prefer hiring from International Markets as for now, because it tends to be irrelevant and expensive. So your CV should have a Dubai based sim number.

Over and all, LinkedIn seems to be a successful tool used by Employers to hire now, so start using it, make sure you have 'endorsements' and tons of good references on it. Also make sure, your CV matches your LinkedIn's profile, since you need to upload that as well against a job posting.

Dubai is a booming Industry, I have spent almost 34 years of my life here, well, 34 in July, There is plenty of potential to come here and start an amazing life, as long as you are great at 'personal financial management', you love south indian tea, and enjoy 'entertainment'..

I hope this insight is beneficial to whosoever reads it. Be positive in your approach, and luck will work wonders for you.

Good Luck.

Saud Ahmed

Thanks a lot Saud for this update

Thanks Saud

Your welcome.. Good Luck !

thx

Hi Saud ,,

Thanks for the information .

I'm currently looking for a job in Dubai if you can help me in that ?

Thank you

BellaSooma wrote:

Hi Saud ,,

I'm currently looking for a job in Dubai if you can help me in that ?

Thank you

Im PM'ing you my official email ID.. you can send me your CV there..

Regards,
Saud

Nice one Saud. Yep that's a good summary of the current job market here in Dubai.

thanks friend.me and my husband plan to come.thanks a lot

gr8 write-up .....

hi,I am from Sri Lanka and want to know current recruitment process in Dubai.My husband is Web application developer and he has a degree and 11 years experience.I am Accountant with a degree and having 6 years experience.Can we apply online jobs.Is it possible?pls let me know the conditions.thanks a lot!

Hi Saud ,,

Thanks alot for the information .I'm currently looking for a job in Dubai if you can help me in that ?

Thank you,

Chathu

chathu77 wrote:

Hi Saud ,,

Thanks alot for the information .I'm currently looking for a job in Dubai if you can help me in that ?

Thank you,

Chathu

Hi Chathu

Thank you for liking my post, basically it covers almost every fundamental of the 'job search' process. You should try the online process and also make sure your profile is amazing at LinkedIn.

Good Luck..
Saud

thanks a lot friend...

Hello Everyone...

How is everything?? My name is Jonathan and I am 24 Years old.. I have moved to Dubai from New york. I am currently working on my Bachelor's in Business Administration and Marketing. I have a year left and hopefully I am done. But I have been searching through so many Job recruitment websites.. The only thing is that I either find Jobs that require 10 years of experience or require no type of intellectuality or experience. In New York, I worked for a Medical Office in which the first two years I worked in Data Entry and Filing and the last 4 years I was the office manager. But I want to work in banks or bank related positions. Or the same thing I did in New York just not in a Medical Clinic. I would like to work in a company that I can start my career and grow, not become a doctor in order to grow. I feel that in offices (fortune 500 companies) and banks, one really has potential. I would like some suggestions or websites or recruitment offices that you guys might see fit for someone trying find a job in an office or bank. What do you guys think??

Thanks in advanced for any and all suggestions!! ;-)

Jonathan

Hiii jjay

Greetings!

If you are interested in a career of your own with an ever growing multi billion dollar company, kindly contact me for details.

best wishes

ravi

055 265 7079

hi,thanks for information.We are  from Srilanka, and we hope to come to there,Iam Accountant degree holder and My husband is IT degree holder. Currency working as Network Engineer and Web Developer with 11 years experience.thank you.

Great write up filled with useful suggestions!  I've personally found most recruiters in my industry (shipping) to be a useless lot while personal connections are the best way forward. Hence, i agree 100 pct with you that everyone should be using linked in endorsement and recommend features. Nobody will dobs better job at marketing your skills than yourself.

I've just accepted a job in dxb and will be moving in August.... Super excited!!! :)

hi saud,
This is Milesh K. from Mumbai(India) Thanks for the information,.  I'm looking for a job in Dubai, I hav completed my MBA-Finance & want a job in Account/ Finance stream. Can you please help me .

Regds,

Milesh K

Hello Milesh and welcome to Expat.com!

I can suggest you to visit the Jobs in Dubai > Banking, Finance, Accountancy section. Hope that helps! ;)

Thank you,
Pravin.

thanks pravin

Hey Pravin,

Does Jobs in Dubai really work?

I signed up for their services a while back. They have been sending messages explaining to me that my resume has be shortlisted. But the catch is that I have to pay a fee of $90. I was wondering. Is it worth it? Does this site actually help people obtain a job?

Thanks so much..

Jonathan R.

Hi Jonathan,

Pravind was referring to the Jobs section on expat-blog site.

Please feel free to post your advert in our Jobs in Dubai section it's free of charge. :)

Thank you,

David.

@Saud1979,

I will give you hi five on your post.
Everything you wrote is the gospel truth. A couple month I was in UAE- Dubai& Abu Dhabi and I met 101 job seekers some from east Europe, UK and various African countries. It seem everyone and their best friend was looking for job. I got speaking to  about three of them in great depth and was amazed at  what they told me. From being off jobs that was commission only when they were not in sales. These were individuals with over 6yrs of working experiences in MNC firms.

My advice to any Jobseeker is go to Dubai even if it for a week. Make friends with recruiters and network(networking activities can found http://www. meetup.com/cities/ae/dubai/). Make sure you get Dubai number and replace your contact number with it. Before you leave topup your Dubai mobile with as much credit.

if companies see a dubai contact number they more likely to call you and if they say are you based in Dubai say yes just on quick holiday.

These are all very useful information, Thank you very much.

Saud,

Thanks for this valuable inputs, being a Dubai aspirant this indeed a vital information from me, I am visiting Dubai October 2013 third week and will be there for a month for a job search. I have seven years experince in HR working with companies like Wipro and Satyam in India. As indicated would try all my luck through Linkedin also.

Thanks,
Ranjith

Saud ;

Thanx for the Interesting and valuable post about the Job market in Dubai, but wanted to ask you if you have any info on business opportunities in UAE (for someone from Syria who is a relative of mine) with a starting capital of  a few 100s thousands USD. Also, the easiest and most economical way for that person like him to get residency in UAE for him and his family.
Any refferals to helpful sites are welcome..

Majd

Hello Majd.

May be this article might help ---> Setting up a business in Dubai.

Thanks

Karen :)

(Sorry for the off topic. If you have any question feel free to start a new topic on the Dubai Forum. Thanks.)

could you plzz tel me if someone wants to go for job in DXB so is there any season to go there which suits best for job hunter

thank you

yes u are 100% correct, current job sites giving wrong information in news papers, giving wrong reference, if we check with their job ref. # in their own site showing "wrong reference". this is very disgusting.their ultimate aim is to increase their database only. Employers want candidates with enormous experience, flexible for long working hours, must be experienced in their field , but salary part same old 90's structure. they r not concerned about the living cost hike.

Thanks Saud,

An eye opener for anyone intending to move to Dubai in search of job for an ultimate better life. I guess this is still the situation now.  :)

Thank you.

Byola.

Hello Saud,

Thanks for the excellent post. I have few questions, can I private message you?  Can you please send me an email at [email protected]?

Thanks,

Ahmed Hasan

Hi Everyone,

Just checking up with members who replied to this post. Did you find anything ? how was the experience etc.

Let me know.

Regards,
Saud A

Nice write up. Unfortunately it hasnt worked for me.
Can you help me out??

Thanks man. You all right.

Thabi_2699 wrote:

Thanks man. You all right.

Hi Thabi
Welcome to Expat.com. Could you please introduce yourself to the other forum members. Thanks

Excellent assessment of the current hiring market

Cannot add anything, all  has been said

I am in the Spa Industry and have never seen so many sharks in the recent years, talking about agents, stay far from them and apply directly, send your CV to HOD in the Hotel industry HR are so lazy and corrupted, they would place their own family or relatives first, so get in touch with the people who hire, not the ones who do the paper work.

As for background checks, I have learn my lesson, make it mandatory, call the former employers... to avoid bringing genius from overseas who basically know little and want the world..

Hi Mr. Saud,

I'm currently looking for a job in Dubai and also visiting on 2nd sept 14, I will be very thank full to you if you can help me in that ?

Thank & Regards,

Hello all... I am surprised at the great divide between the rich and the poor in Dubai.  I have a great life in Australia and a fantastic job but I really wanted to go to Dubai to get in touch with my roots and polish my arabic but it seems it is a hard life for a lot of people.

You mentioned to go straight to the person hiring, however I would like to know where the best means of looking for a job.

I also noticed that the service is really lax and it seems like noone is in a hurry to get things done.  I am not having a go at anyone but just made that observation.  I go round in circles trying to get to get information or some large international companies don't even answer the phones... they just let it ring out time after time.

Anyway, I really do wish everyone success in their endeavours and good health.  Take Care