A DAY IN THE LIFE

I agree Bob but just cannot do that yet.  We are in the middle of harvesting and  processing corn.  We have done  4 truckloads so far and worked out most of the bugs in our system. Always something more - now two frigging transportation unions fighting it out over who gets to transport my corn!  BLOODY HELL..........  extortionists I tell you.

Soon taking a real vacation!

OH you so need a proper vacation :D:D:D

Bob K

I do I do I soooooo do.

Buy your own trucks.
Look what unions did to the USA & Canada.
That comment should piss off a few people.

Planner where are you going for your vacation. Back to Canada. Dont forget your snow boots.

Yes we will eventually buy our own trucks!!!

Canada, cold...oh hell no. I am going with two Canadian friends to Puerto Plata area for 2 whole weeks. I am looking forward to it.  We will dance every night for  2 weeks.

By the way, the north coast has now been officially warned - we  arrive Dec 26th!

HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BObK

Alas my dear, for I fear that I won't be there to greet & meet you.  I drag now leaden feet for .. we cant perform on the dance floor.  So very glad you'll get a break, so have lots of fun for heavens sake!    DO NOT answer calls from the office until the last day.      Daihatsu makes good trucks.  Probably spelt it wrong.  Who will take care of the pups, or should I say dogs?

Thanks guys,  I will be answering calls,  moving money online but fundamentally its a great break for me.   Dancing -  well Gypsy you dont have to dance, you can watch......LOL  We will get together when you return honey....

The dogs -  its hard to remember they are only   6 months old as they are so big.  Zeus is now about  48 pounds and Lupita  is about 43.  They are my big babies.  Lots of people here to look after them.  They are loved by all the staff.

And I will  have stories to tell and "some" photos....  but we can't  show all of em............  looking forward to seeing some of you over the holidays!

are you coming to costambar. you went to el carey in the past, if so, would like to meet you there

You bet honey!!!

what day and month

Darlene sabes k voy a estar en POP 27 - 30. Claro nos vemos entonces? Posible?

Darlene sabes k voy a estar en POP 27 - 30. Claro nos vemos entonces? Posible?

HI guys, lets meet at El Carey on the beach on Sunday afternoon Dec 27th.  Say about  2pm or so?

Darlene, my fett are only heavy due to the tears that fill thim. The tears of sadness at not being there to meet you & spend timedancing, yes I can dance, & to celebrate with Groby.   Maxime called last night & told me that he had the good fortune to have met you, ( re ins ). Happy about he dogs, like them, I'm drooling>    Never to be forgotten, that I'm besotten  .

Wow sounds awesome!!

It will be fun.  Gypsy will be there in spirit.

Bob you gonna make the trek???

Actually Sunday does not work for me as we already are committed to a "late" Christmas party.  :(

Bob K

Just to change the subject we just had the heaviest downpour I have seen in at least 6 years.  It was raining sideways with the wind.  No power, house got hit by lightening for the 4th time (thankfully our whole house circuit breaker worked once again...best $75 investment I have ever made) and we had almost 4 inches of rain in 45 minutes....wow

Bob K

WOW   we started getting rain at  4 am today. It is still raining heavily at the moment but no lightening thank goodness.

Here is a question  - the last 4 lightening strikes anywhere near us blew out our internet and fried  4 routers.   Claro says it happens all the time... bull dingle berries.  I've not had that happen in  12 years here.   What can I put on my lines to protect the internet line?  NO damage or issue with our electrical,  just the internet... Help.....

I am not sure protecting your electric line will help unless it takes the hit.  If the hit is to the internet cable I think you are out of luck.  It did happen to us once when just the internet was effected.

Besides most of their routers are use and repaired and re repaired and re repaired once again and are basically crap.  We replace two a year because of breakdown.

Bob K

Planner, how lucky we are to have lived in an age of knowledge of dingle berries and of eating bubbles. In this age of texting & non face to face communication, these poor twerps have lost the fine art of descriptive vocabulary in everyday conversations. Tis a strike at our very humanity, the fun of speech. Because we think in words, the loss of words diminishes our ability for rational thought.. If you think the decline & fall of the Roman empire was something, it is a picayune  collapse compared to the course the world has embarked upon. In the DR, personal contact is a normal facet of life. Raise dingle berries to the top of the mountain of verbiage where it & other words of its' ilk belong.  Thanks Darlene, thanks.

Bob I bought two brand new - non Claro routers and they were knocked out.  There must be a way to protect the line........

Visit this web site. You should find what you are looking for.
http://www.surge-arrester.com/3-Data-Si … ction.html

Thanks Stan,  going to look! You rock.

Stan thanks but could not connect to that site directly but it did lead to multiple sales sites and I will have to look at the various ones to see if they have anything specifically for internet line or router.

Bob K

I've been unable to get on the site since Saturday,  just fine......LOL    We are on  3rd day of rain, rain rain and I am cold people......   Wow.   

NO farm or processing work for  2 full days.  Today we harvested one truck before we had to stop due to rain.   Its on its way now to the processing center. I managed to work part of the weekend doing catch up stuff. 

And still it rains.....  my dogs both LOVE the rain and MUD.  Yuckkkkkkk

Week 5: I speak basic Spanish but i am proud to announce that i have learned a few more words these last few weeks: well, connector, inverter, filter, pump, pipes, cement, paint, leak, mud, sand, ladder, garden hose, iron work, drill, weld, repair, replace, robber, pressure washer,  lounge chairs,tarantula, toad, snake ,cows eating bushes and lizards!
yes, this list of words sums up what we have been doing lately or experiencing !
Happy week everyone !

OMG that is a funny funny  post.  I now can imagine what you have been doing!!!!

Yes that is funny and you have also learned who to shop at Super Pola on veggie day :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Ahhhh yes.  Well our exciting news -  Mega Plaza opened last weekend WOOO HOOOOO.  Yes yes yes we now have Pizza Hut and Payless shoes in the same place - oh be still my heart.....LOL

We now have La Sirena  competing head to head with Jumbo and Plaza Lama.   This morning we had the place to ourselves I swear.   Jumbo has their veggie sale on today but so does La Sirena.  THe people aren't used to that yet so are all at Jumbo. I was at La Sirena saving money.....   and nice selection too!   

We also have an Ikea outlet.  Go in, order what you want, pick it up a day or two later. Nice deal.  There are other stores in there but I barely noticed .....  my eyes glazed over walking past pizza hut.....

Too bad Ikea doesn't have solid wood products. Non water proof chip board disintegrates in high humidity environments as I learned with my computer desk several years ago.  I then built my own out of treated plywood & have had no comp;aints since.  Yes, it is too bad because thier designs & prices are so good. The trouble seems to arise mostly at the pocket screw connections.  Perhaps a dab or two of marine varnish or oil based paint on the offending parts would give a longer life.  Also treat the feet of the legs, especially if you have a Dominican cleaning your house. They have a true love affair with water..  Bless them all!

Oh yes I fired the first person who cleaned by throwing water everywhere. 

Ikea has lots of non furniture stuff too Gypsy!

Pizza Hut...Ugh!.  Using the word pizza with Pizza Hut is an oxymoron for sure.  I am so glad we do not have that "crap" here on the north coast.  They actually opened a Domino's Pizza (another oxymoron) here and it lasted about 4 months before it closed...thank God.

But the mega plaza sounds great.  They broke ground on a new JUMBO in Puerto Plata (on the round about) this week so we will have La Sirena, Jumbo, Super Pola and of course the king of rip off places...Playero.  I remember when Playero was the only game around.

Bob K

As to IKEA... great place for accessories ...Horrible place for furniture.  Our closest outlet is in Santiago.

And DO NOT eat the Swedish Meatballs there (Santo Domingo's major store).  It was the only time in nearly 10 years that I have gotten deathly sick from food here in the DR. :D

Bob K

Good to know Bob.....

and more Planner !! you have no idea but we are making it one day at a time ! One more funny note... we figured out today the difference between Caribe and Caribe Express .  The girl working at the customs kept telling me over the phone that I could pay our taxes  for our container via Caribe Express  and all could be done cash. So here I am arguing with her that there is no way in hell I putting all that cash on a bus and a messenger in SD will pick it up. !  Thanks to a little phone talk to Bob K last night and our banker this morning, I realized that Caribe Express is actually like Western Union and it has nothing to do with a freaking bus !!!!

Don't forget also institute Louisville that wife in spanish is esposa. Handcuffs are called esposas also. When talking with a native, tread carefully when mentioning esposas. Lol. It also means a restrant device. L O L L O L

Oh Gypsy I am not evening going to go there :D:D:D:D:D

Bob K