A DAY IN THE LIFE

you guys are making me laugh as I am reading your latest posts !  ok, I agree that what's happening to Planner is not funny at all but I see SHE sees the humor side of it ! Way to go Gemini !  and over all, DR work ethics , heat ,humidity and sun trump SNOW ! I concur !
Good luck Planner in your house search !!

Thanks honey!!!!   IF I did not have my sense of humor I am not sure I could survive here...........LOL  You might as well laugh and look on the positive for everything.........  ok, almost everything!!!!

you have a great attitude ! Kudos to you !

Here when things don't go "right" or "according to plan" it will serve you well to accept, change what you can, and move on.  A good attitude and the ability to smile goes a long way on adapting to the Dominican life.

Bob K

Add in adapting to the words: manana, ahora,  ahorita, si pronto......  none of which mean now or soon necessarily....

Nope they all just mean what ever it is it is not going to happen today.

Bob K

House hunting over for today.  I set off earlier this week to get an apartment. I knew what i wanted.....what I found is a house.  Slightly more then I want to pay but really nice.  They are doing some upgrades now and it will be ready next week.  Then if all goes to plan will sign a contract. 

What I love is the neighborhood, everything I need is really close including new places to dance!!!!

I will keep you updated with the stories, process and challenges....lol... you know there will be all of the above.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Any problems with breaking the old lease?

Bob K

Lease is expired continued month to month as the lawyer didnt get around to writing the renewal!!!!   :)

See some good luck for you.  That is very good luck

Bob K

Lets hope so Bob, good  luck is always always needed and wanted here.....LOL

I alluded to "play day" in another thread. So here you go - today is Play Day.

First coffee.  Check.

Second news:   Check - watched local and international news.

Third - laundry - I really like doing it on Sunday.... I am nuts.  Most use an old fashioned washer, with a spinner attached to it.  Wash,  spin, change water, rinse, spin.  Hand on line to dry.  Most are dry quickly.....

Now chilling,  writing, relaxing.

At 2pm will go pick up some American girls (you know who you are) and they will come over to visit, will make some late lunch early dinner.

we are going to Las Ruinas (weather permitting)  this is my favorite thing to do here. Grupo Bonje plays from about 6 to 10 pm, location is Las Ruinas de san Francisco, the old monestary.  It is just on the north end of the Colonial Zone.  You arrive, rent a chair for 30RD (less then a dollar)   or bring your own.. Buy drinks at the colmado, onsite,  or bring your own. You will find a huge variety of people -  large groups of neighbors, old friends, new friends,  singles, couples, families,  the very old too the quite young!!!!

Music is about a 20 piece orchestra with  4 or 5 singers, guests arrive and depart and join in. It  is an amazing time.  Music is Son, Salsa, Merengue,  a bit of bachata and the occasional ballad.  I love love love this place.  There is a dance floor they put in - made of wood,  a bit slanted downhill so  challenging to dance on. Doesn't stop me.....LOL

It is outdoors under the stars and a magical experience!!!!  If in the area on a Sunday make a point to come see this!

Sounds terrific!
Similar to last night at one of the local restaurants here.  They set up a stage, multiple tents and food stands and had 8 hours of music with bands from all over the world.  Last night was DR, USA, Switzerland, Canada, and I think the last one was from  Puerto RIco.   Great night with locals, and expats enjoying the evening. Even the rain shower could not dampen the event. 

Best part they are doing it all over again this after noon and evening.

Bob K

NICE!!!!

Hi Planner.
Great news on your apartment hunting!  Hope that works out for you, u deserve it. Hope all the trials n tribulations work out in your favor. In terms of it being a bit more than what you wanted to pay, just keep in mind that one usually gets what they pay for. At one point I used to always look for the 'cheapest' price.  Until I became enlightened, now I look for quality, even if I have to pay a little higher price. Good luck on your endeavour!

Again dear, Las Ruinas sounds like a fantastic place! The mix of people sounds really interesting. So you "KNOW" whatsup LOL

Las ruinas was awesome just very very hot and humid tonight....

Ok there should be a limit to how much luck one can have.  Yesterday at about 4PM we had a horrific thunderstorm. One of the strongest of the year and for the 4th time in the last 3 years our house was hit by lightening (actually the large telephone pole at the corner of the yard). We were on generator at the time as ede Norte as the case in most bad weather situations had there "service" interrupted.  The Generator transfer box is right next to the pole.  So one loud crash later we had no power at all.   So a call to our electrician and unlike most situations he was here in 20 min (on a late Sunday afternoon) and  had us back on line in 10 more minutes.  The timer for the generator was blown, he replaced it with a "spare" part and will be back this morning with a new correct part.  His total costs will probably be about $1500 RD for his time and trips up plus the cost of the part.  Not bad and great service by DR standards!

Bob K

Wow Bob! Unbelievable both getting hit for the 3rd time AND getting someone thete on a Sunday who could get you up and running.

I would not question your luck honey......  no one hurt is too amazing!!!!

Seems the telephone pole at the corner is like a lightening rod.  The transfer box is too close maybe but even though it is my box I have to get ede norte to move it and no way in hell they are going to touch anything.

Bob K

That would be a disaster in the making Bob............for sure!!!!

wow.. sorry to hear about it Bob k. .. glad no one is hurt . I can't believe you got the electrician to come so quickly on a Sunday !

Yep he had no problem coming out.  Now granted he is not Dominican but most of our better tradesmen are not Dominican.  And usually we get things one right, on time and on budget with out having to go and get materials or pay him for gas to get them or loan our tools out. We pay a bit more but not too much more and so worth it.

Bob K

Bob K

A beautiful day on the beach yesterday. Lots of sun, hot temps, warm clear water, cold beer, good food, great book and a great cigar.   Followed by a great BBQ of  charasco steak. garlic mashed potatoes and salad.   It does not get any better than this.

Just a recap of my typical Dominican day yesterday.

I am so coming to your house on my next visit to the north coast!!!!!   My day -  work, more work, some more work. (good thing I like to work)

Then a visit to Tricom - pending  gringa meltdown on this one. I will write the whole story later today -  suffice to say I am PROMISED a visit by a technical supervisor today at about  1pm!!!  Lets see!!!

Ok I am holding my breath for  you, but starting to turn blue!

And you are always welcome to visit, but if on a Tuesday you will have to go to the beach with me :D

Bob K

Tuesday = beach day -  ok planning for a tuesday now. then do I go for a massage too???? LOL

oh Bob K.. you are making me so jealous  ! I wish I could have the same kind of day !
soon... well.. not that soon.. but we hope to be there full time in 5 years.. in the meantime.. lots of visits are planned.. we were going to come late winter but I have to go to France a couple of times in the next few months because my mother is very sick  and as far as I know, money does not grow on trees yet !  I wish you many more days like the one you just had !

did he really say 1 Pm or manana ? I am asking cause Bob K warned me about the fact that Dominicans are time -challenged  ! LOL

Very time challenged. Manana only means not today. So if some one says he will be there manana it just means I can't be there today.

Bob K

I was told 1pm  today or after as I was not going to  be home until 1pm  SO in fact they have until the close of business today to get this DONE or tomorrow you may see me on the news!!!!!

HERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY

I have been a huge huge fan of Tricom for years.. Their service has been exceptional for me.  My experience has been great.  I have a bundled service -  internet,  cable and home telephone. I am a great customer rave about them all the time.

So, about 2 months or so ago my router started acting up. they reprogrammed it, sent tech support out, reprogrammed it,  changed the power source etc etc.  LAST visit the technician said - last try  - if this does not work - new router.  OK. and he put is in the file.

16 days ago I called and filed my report!  YUP 16 days ago, but who is counting?? ME ME ME I AM COUNTING. The conversation jumped between 3 people until finally they agreed with me, new router, send out the technician.

Service standard is 3 to 5 working days. No problem, it is working but just not well.

Now at day 3 I call. And Day 5. And day 6 etc. etc. etc.  And then I am on social media messaging, and calling and calling and getting horribly PISSED THE HELL OFF.

Last Friday i was  PROMISED a technician before close of business  - stayed home for it - yup- no call no visit.
Saturday - more of the same.
Monday - more of the same. NOW I have started a new contract which requires me to be ONLINE  4 hours a day. Can't do that when my internet is on and off.

Monday evening I am on the phone and social media at the same time getting the same crap from both ends!! OH excuse us - I said no. NO NO NO. No more excuses.  Promised a technician before  noon Tuesday  - NO SHOW.

Tuesday I had an appointment  and then went to TRICOM's office.  I was ready to throw a hissy fit. I was fortunate to be assigned a smart, quiet  very very helpful woman.  I listened while she explained what had gone on in detail to the technical supervisor.

I AM PROMISED A VISIT TODAY AFTER 1PM.  (I had appointment this am so was not home)

Now lets see what happens!!! I have already got my "credit request" filed with them, just not end dated!!! IF they do not show today you know where you will find me tomorrow morning - you might want to send the news crews with a video camera. 

SERIOUS AMOUNTS OF STRESS ARE GOING TO BE UNLOADED!!!! I am now in jeopardy of losing a lucrative contract and you know i am gonna be pissed off.

stay tuned................... :dumbom::dumbom::dumbom:

You have the patience of a saint.  Me I would have thrown the f*cking modem at theme and signed with a new carrier.

I am probably the only person alive here on the north coast who actually returned the Orange flybox to them (took multiple trips to the office in Puerto Plata) for lack of promised service.  We actually broke a 2 year contract after 7 months with no fall out.  Breaking a contract with a phone/telecommunication company here is unheard of and takes an act of God.  But we did it.

Bob K

I have escalated via the vp of marketing.  I have a contract with 3 services and i can cancel 1 but not 3.

The only reason I have not brought all my equipment in - this is not normal.  The service used to be awesome. It is only the last month!  I would prefer to stay but will go if needed.

More soon, i am on the phone with them now.... again!!!

Why not cancel all.  Seems they no longer have a customer service department.

Bob K

Conractually i can only cancel the service not provided Bob. Sadly the other options are no better on a regular basis.

Last night I got some answers.  Seems THEY HAD NO ROUTERS to exchange mine with! Ok. So ehy not tell me that the last say 15 days? Why lie to me EVERY SINGLE DAY and leave me waiting at home for a promised technician????

This is just bad bad business.  Sadly it is not abnormal either.

As of last night at 6pm, they have a new stock of routers and I am to get one this morning! Please, no one hold their breath waiting!!!!

Typical as they don't want to admit they don't have a product.  Same happened to us with Claro many years ago and took three days to get our router. We actually stopped a repairman who was in the neighborhood and asked him.  He said they had no routers for the last week but go them this morning and he had two. So for an extra 200 pesos and a cold presidente  we had a new router.

Bob K

This morning I had 2 fine technicians come to my house!!!!  ITs alive my internet  lives again......    We swapped out the router which was both faulty and overheating!!!!   So now I have my speed etc back. they also made a point of checking every other Tricom installation I have, swapped out a plug or something on my cable and organized all the plugs and cables for me.  They were awesome.

I have now written a long email to several VP's and managers and outlined exactly what they did, how it effected me and what they should have done. THEN I asked how they were going to make me happy - that a credit for what I paid for and did not receive would not suffice!!!!!     How about my wasted time?  My lost productivity? My lost contract???

Lets see how they respond!

several times in the past I've had problems with various products   .  paint, cell phones, denture adhesive, avaiibility of my favorite coffee, ( french market w/ chicory ). also w/ poor service from wifi provider. in every case I received an upgrade, replacement or as in the case of the coffee, where II could buy it locally, plus coupons for 2 free cans. persistence  pays off. however, all of them were U.S. companys. hopefully it will pay off for you also. good luck to you ! still no response from Tony Cabrera or anyone else in Cabrera. thanks for your efforts.

I will keep everyone posted on their responses.  And I am tenacious......I will be on them like white on rice.....LOL

Looks like another brutal summer day here on the north coast for today.. Yesterday blazing sun, no clouds, almost no breeze and 35 C (95F).  No breeze last night either.

Today is shaping up the same and already 32 out.  You will have a hard time getting me out of the pool today :D

Bob K

Same here Bob, brutally hot and humid.  Hang on, packing my bikini, coming over.....lol....