A DAY IN THE LIFE

I wish you a speedy recovery and take care planner :)

Thanks Hasnaa!!!

Had a successful day in Santo Domingo getting started on residency renewal.
And a great evening with Planner.
Just got home and will write more tomorrow on both subjects.

Bob K

First off thank you Planner for meeting us for dinner the other night.  Sorry about the first restaurant (I picked and was closed) but knowing about another to help our Chinese fix.  It was great putting a face to a name of someone I have "known" for the last 10 years. We actually started communicating on another forum 10 years ago when we were first planning our great adventure and move.

We will see you again soon I hope when you are here in PP next month.

Bob K

It was a pleasure to meet you too Bob and your very lovely wife!!!!  And wow, ten years, who would have thought it...... I will see you again in May when I am on the north coast.  Lets look to do a meet up with others while I am there!!!!!

Works for me

Bob K

Who would have thought.  We have a Cusinart blender that has needed a part for months.  My wife was just back in the states and looked high and low for it.  Only on line and then you had to buy an entire assembly not just the small part that was broken.
So today I was at one of the local hardware stores here in Sosua getting replacement switches for a couple of lamps and asked about the part.  Two minutes later I had the part.  Cost 35 pesos.  Who would have thought......

BObK

HAHAHA I have experienced similar Bob!!! It is amazing!

Roof update: they showed up yesterday to work on the roof. They did not bring a ladder so left again and never came back. This morning I got a message asking if I would be home......

It never seems to end.....

And one other thing: anyone else see the announcement that the drought is over???? That was Friday!!!

Anyone seen any rain???? Nothing here in the capital!!!

They wanted to know if you were home just incase they got around to coming back today. Heavens knows they don't waste a trip if they decide to come.  Does NOT mean they will be there.

it will take days of soaking rain to ease the drought to any extent. Here on the north coast we have has some good soaking rains in the late evening the last two days but not for very long. However it was a help and the grass is greener today but still along way to go.

Bob K

Yes I agree, I am not holding my breath waiting for anyone....OR waiting for rain....

We need rain and for someone to say the drought is over is irresponsible at best....

In fact it is looking like some showers may be in our near future...

Bob K

I wish, nothing but blue skies and 93F here right now! Damn hot....

Spoke too soon, Sun is back and low 90s as well

Bob K

And, drumroll please.............. no one showed up to do the roof!!!! ahahahahahahah

No roof workers....I am flabbergasted :D:D

Bob K

I spoke to soon before.  We had about 2 hours of very heavy, very loud, lots of lightening thunderstorms at 7pm or so.

Probably had an inch of rain or more....yippeeee!

Bob K

Yayyyyy we had none!

Well we still have no rain!  4 full days after the declaration the drought is over and we still have no rain.... hmmmmmm.  News today was about the fact that people need to stop wasting water.  Ok,  now about that drought.............

This morning I received an email with a long detailed explanation as to why the  guys could not come back and finish the roof over the weekend. they were responding to my short, very curt email asking what the heck happened.

So this guy writes this long involved email telling me why he could not come back. My response was simple - clearly your fingers on both your hands were broken such that you could neither text me nor dial me!!!! 

Ahhhhh yes the end of the month -  time to stay home, avoid the roads, the banks, the supermarkets etc.  People get paid today and tomorrow - so you know what it will be like out there.............

Yes that is why I pay all my bills before the 20th of the month.

No rain here now for 48 hours and two glorious days for the beach

Bob K

We had a red letter day here in the Sosua area.  For years we have been ripped off by the only major food store in town.  Higher prices, total lack of customer service, total disregard to sound business practices but for many years the only game in town.  Well today we say "Adios Playero and hola Super Pola"   Super Pola built and opened a major grocery store here in less than 6 months.  They are part of the Ramos group (of la Sirena fame) and what a beautiful store they built.  Friendly people, good prices (Playero was always at least 10% higher across the board or more), real sale items, smiling faces. people that actually seemed like they wanted to help you.  Such a refreshing change.

If Playero does not fix it's problems, and soon, it will adios for good.  I personally would not miss the place after 8 years of being ripped off every time I shopped there. In fact for the last 3 years I have been going to Puerto Plata 3 times a month to do our shopping.   So we are smiling today here in the Sosua area.

Bob K

So, Super Polo (La Sierena) is open already Bob?
Wasn't supposed to be till Sept.
Do you have to buy a membership there?
You are right, Playero has ONLY tourista prices!
I've shopped there over 5 years, till I moved to Cabrera.

Nice! I have a Supe Pola 10 minute walk from my place, I go there often.

If you have the la sirena card it works at super pola!!!! 

And we had rain!!!! 5 whole minutes of rain!  Only enough to raise the smell of wet dirt!

OK, great! I understood it was to be
kind of a wholesale store, case lots only.
Oh well.
Gracias!

not at all!  They are owned by same people as La Sirena,  great store.

Planner congrats on the rain!

Bob K

Tomas,  I too was surprised on how fast it went up.  I

It is a regular super market owned by the same people (Ramos group) that own la sirena, so the products are similar and pricing is set neation wide.  Probably an instant 10% savings at least over the overpriced Palyero before taking into account the sales that are going on.

I probably only in a blue moon set food in Playero again.   Adios Playero and hola Super Pola.

Bob K

Yes, sucks to be the owners now, after spending millions
on their expansion. Oh well, we paid for it.

Now you have options which is always good for the consumers!!!!  Super Plola has their vegetable sale day today - some veggies 50% off and the rest 20% off. Nice.....

rain Bob!!!  rain.... it was a tease and nothing more......LOL

So Wednesday is "veggie" day at super Pola?  If that is true that is good as Wednesdays are my shopping days and no need to drive to PP anymore for la Sirena which has veggie day on Wednesday as well.

Bob K

Tomas, I don't feel bad for the owners. They have known for months that Pola was coming and they did nothing, that is NOTHING, to prepare for it.  Nothing to make the customer feel any loyalty and only in the last month or so did they start with daily "superficial" specials. 
Not one price has been lowered on a regular basis in the last few months.  They will reap what they sow.

Bob K

So Bob that project you told me about last year when we met turned out to be a Super Pola and not a La Sirena? Where exactly is it in Sosua? Will be there in a few weeks, maybe I will stop in and buy some groceries on my way in from the airport. Thanks.  Do I need a membership card to shop there like pricemart or is it a regular supermarket like playero? How are their liquor prices? Are they cheapen than Super Super on Clisante in Sosua and Janet's in Cabarete?  :-)

Massagewiz,
Super Pola is basically a grocery store on a smaller scale than and owned by the same company as la Sirena.  It carries the same products as la Sirena and at the same prices which on non sale items generally will be 8%-10% less than Playero and sale items make it MUCH cheaper.  Palyero does have some more imported stuff but for the most part I don't buy import other than beef and they carry imported angus beef.  You do not need a membership it is just a regular grocery store.  They do have a points card (actually it is the same card as la Sirena and you earn points in either store) just as Playero has one.
Liquior is probably the same price or pretty close to Super Super and every week they have liquor, wine that is on sale which makes those items much cheaper. Got some Vodka that normally is $4.40 a bottle at $3.19 yesterday so quite a difference.
Interestingly you will find many more Dominicans shopping here (same for La Sirena, Jose, Luis, Tropical an such) than gringos.  Seems the Dominicans do not like shopping at Playero where you will find many more gringos. That is up to this week.  I do not see good things on the horizon for Playero.
Do stop by and shop there and see for yourself.

Bob K

Thanks Bob I will stop by on my way in from the airport.  I need to stock up on groceries when I get there in a few weeks.  Good to see there is another option besides playero, I like the fact that it is clean and well maintained, plus the meat always looks fresh, but I guess the nice look comes with a higher price tag.  Enjoy the weather Bob. New York is cloudy today :-( at least the snow has left, now we have rain. Jeeezzz can't catch a break.

Sorry about the weather. Here we are suffering with 88F, sunny skies, nice breeze and off to the beach!!

Bob K

Yes super Pola is a great option for your shopping. I remember when Puerto Plata got La Sirena, suddenly there was real competition!  Same now for Sosua and I assume Cabarete.......

Today in the capital it is already 94F and HOT.... we have had  5 minutes of rain in the last 6 days, but damn the drought is over.  Our water company is supplying only about  60% of the water needed to the city and you can imagine people's reactions.....

My health is on the mend - we finally have results and now know what to do about it. YAYYYYYY  So look out I will be back to  SuperWoman status soon!!!!!

On that note I will be on the north coast in late May - I think a get together is in order.....

Suffering...ha ha!  I'm still wearing my winter coat when I walk my dog in the morning and it's May!!!!!  But my plans to get to DR are in motion.  I've also taken your advice and am going to rent first.
Planner I'm so glad you're on the mend!  I hope to meet you and Bob one day!

Glad you have a plan.  Just let me know when you are here and where.
Good luck and don't forget to ask away!

Bob K