American restaurant in London

Hi all!

As my username suggests, I am a UK foodie and chef. I am opening an American restaurant in London this summer. None of the poor excuse for steak joints and TGI Fridays chain rubbish.. good honest American home cooked food.

I would greatly appreciate your input to your favorite foods. Food that reminds you of home that you just wish you could get hold of in the UK. The kind of home cooked food your Mom used to make.. good old Sweet Potato pie etc.

What would you like to see on the menu?

Thanks!

Hello UKFoodie.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

keeping with sweet potatoes - I once had really good sweet potato chips in New York. But I have no idea how they are made. But maybe you do.

Corned Beef Hash
(nice quality, crispy on the outside with and egg poached in the middle)
Pastrami sandwich
(like Canters Deli on Fairfax in LA or Katz Deli on E.Houston St. New York)

But the top of my list would be Grits like my mom made.
30minute Grits (NOT the instant rubbish)
Topped with butter, crumbled crispy (streaky) bacon, salt & pepper, cayenne pepper, Cumin (generously), cheddar cheese, and one or two Over-easy fried eggs & bacon and toast on the side. (Tabasco optional)
She used to also put a piece of fried salt pork on the side, but I've never seen it in the UK.

Most Brits I know hate the idea of grits, but usually it's because they've had them served runny with milk and sugar. Definitely not American style. You've got to go to the deep south to find them done right.

If you put that on your menu, I'll be a regular. Thanks