Thinking of moving to Budapest

Hi Guys,

Literally just joined this forum minutes ago as I want to move to Budapest in September.

I'm a 21 year old Englishman from Sheffield who is currently teaching English as a foreign language in Szczecin, Poland. But life here is getting rather dull and I need a change of scenery, and I've heard so many great things about Budapest which has given me the motivation to give it a try.

My main ambition would be to teach English as a foreign language like I do in Poland, so I was just wondering if there is anyone firstly who else who knows anything about the job market for English teachers, and the best way to go about getting one, and secondly, how to adjust to life in Budapest as an individual, including finding accommodation and stuff like that.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much guys and look forward to hearing from you all.

Emrys

emrys14 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Literally just joined this forum minutes ago as I want to move to Budapest in September.

I'm a 21 year old Englishman from Sheffield who is currently teaching English as a foreign language in Szczecin, Poland. But life here is getting rather dull and I need a change of scenery, and I've heard so many great things about Budapest which has given me the motivation to give it a try.

My main ambition would be to teach English as a foreign language like I do in Poland, so I was just wondering if there is anyone firstly who else who knows anything about the job market for English teachers, and the best way to go about getting one, and secondly, how to adjust to life in Budapest as an individual, including finding accommodation and stuff like that.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much guys and look forward to hearing from you all.

Emrys

Hi Emrys,

I'm an English teacher from Doncaster currently teaching in Budapest. There are plenty of schools here you can apply to. You should find it relatively easy to get freelance work, especially having experience already. Just send your CV and cover letter to some language schools outlining your availability and see what comes back. There's a useful list of contacts here...http://www.eslbase.com/schools/hungary...but this list is not exclusive Do you mind me asking what qualifications you have?

I found it very easy to settle in here. There are a few listing websites that you can google and prices are quite reasonable for a furnished flat in the centre.

Let me know if you have any questions, or feel free to pm me. I would be happy to help :)

Y

Btw., there are a lot of threads like "what are living costs in Bp." or "can I live on that salary?" etc.

Even though I do not know Poland well enough, I find it likely that you will like Budapest after Szczecin - provided, you do not dislike big cites; of course small places have their upsides, too. But cosmopolitanship is seldom one of them. (I just moved to Debrecen, so I am speaking of experience ;)
I wonder more about the comparison Warsaw vs. Bp.
However, please note, as a native, I am heavily biased towards Budapest ;) Also I am all for luring more foreigners into moving here, to make it a 'better' place (more to my liking that is). So, just come...!

Thanks a lot for your post mate! Yeah I'm from a big-ish city in England, and yeh I would love to try Budapest or indeed a bigger city than Szczecin, as there is with all due respect, not a lot to do, and the population is about 70!
What is life like in Debrecen may I ask? Are there many things to do? What's the population like?
Anyway thanks a lot for your help,
Emrys