Paraguayan Internet, Use, Structure, Growth, ,I-Commerce, etc.

A few days ago I read an article, I think by Mabel Renhardt?, lamenting the sad state of Paraguayan internet usage,... less than Haiti.  It was an old article, before the Haitian earthquake, looong before.

But here are some new numbers:
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats15.htm#south
Paraguay's internet penetration, at 12.8% is above Bolivia (10.2%), & Ecuador (12.1%).

Recently, but before their earthquake, Haiti's internet penetration was 11.1%.

Most interesting is Paraguay's growth in internet penetration.  From 2000-2099 growth was 4,371%, second only to Guyana's 6,733%.

A weakness in the growth numbers is that high growths now, suggest low absolute levels in 1999.  Proof of this is the fact that these countries' absolute penetrations are still low. 

Internet penetration growth, it is not unlimited.  It is limited to 100%.  Paraguay and these countries have a lot of room for growth.

Paraguay is in an extremely unusual situation in comparison to similar low-penetration states: Guarani is an official language and is actually spoken by a lot of people.  Will it make a difference in regards to adopting the internet?  My guess is that it will be similar to Tagalog, the language of the Philippines.  Guarani will have staying power and the internet will help it stay.

It is not about the language but the official monopoly until 2008.  Now things are far better, but in the past conexions were 64 Kbps in speed at the price of 25 USD.

Now you can get cheaper and faster like 256 kbps for 20 USD.

Things here are slow in terms of internet because of the government.  Since 2009 there is a new policy allowing any registered company to bring internet conexion from Argentina or Brazil. Before it was only COPACO the state owned company who brought intenet in and many private distribuited to their customers.

Now any private can bring internet AND distribuite to their private customers.  So it is becaming cheaper and faster slowly.

As of recent times, Tigo (the cell phone company) has bought a primary internet provider and offers fairly nice speeds. Claro (another cell co.) has the plug in for pc's/laptops that works ok in a pinch. Copaco still has the speed benefit over Tigo at this time.

Having internet in the Asuncion area is rather easy and not difficult at all. The cost for a basic package is about like in the states with faster speed, you pay a little more...maybe about the same as $50-$60 usd for the fastest speeds.

One important note concerning your gear associated with using computers and the internet such as routers, modems and cables. They are way expensive at places like Radio Shack and others. Best bet is El Centro Asuncion in downtown....loaded with electronics, cameras and clothing for far less than at those others. The center itself is the oldest of the shopping center models, but the hassle of finding a parking spot and the searching inside with give you what you need at a big savings...maybe 40%-50% or more!

If you need more info I can pass the contact information to interested parties. Happy internet surfing.

I get GREAT internet where I live (just outside of Asuncion in Fernando). My speeds are pretty much exactly what I pay for, especially since it appears that none of my neighbours are using wifi in their homes. I can hog all the download speed I want. The only problem is when there's a power outage, and the light on the modem goes off. :P

still, a young kid build his online media empire back in the days - chena.com/ - and have a TV station now ?

impresive

1 Mbit, in the middle of nowhere, not bad....
If enough subscribers, the provider is even willing to install fiber for us....