Cost of living in Rio de Janeiro

Hey guys!

I am keen to move to Rio in just less than a year and was wondering what the cost of living was?

How much is a normal rental of a two bedroom apartment?

How much does public transport cost and how extensive is it?

What is an average salary for a person with a university degree?

How much does a loaf of bread cost? How much is a liter of milk?

Read my posting "The High Cost of Living in SP - how to economize" while it was written with São Paulo in mind it still applies to any other major city in Brazil.

Two BR apt. should start around R$2500 / mo or more plus utilities, condominium fees and property tax (IPTU).

Bus fare R$3.00 system extensive but overburdened

Salaries are about R$7-8 thousand per mo. starters

Loaf of bread (not what most buy) R$2,85 French rolls depending on where you buy them you can find 7 for R$1 Liter of UHT milk R$2,35.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi, I'm currently working as a teacher in HCMC Vietnam and am thinking of continuing my journeys to Brazil. Can anyone help me with the average rates of pay for an English tutor both with and without a degree? Also the above post said that an 2 bed apartment is 1250$ p.m. ! is that really the cheapest you can expect to live on your own and cook and be reasonably secure?
Basically any info on teaching English and living in Rio or any other relevant data , i.e. visa situation would be very much appreciated, also feel free to ask about some of the places I have recent experience of.
Thanks in advance
John

No John you misread... a 2 br. is going to cost you around 2500 per month. Regarding teaching you will earn at a school around R$25 per hour of class given if in the school, around R$30 if "in-company" depending on the school. Better income can be earned by recruiting private students, but this takes a lot of time to do. Schools here couldn't care less about experience or certification, they can pay less that way.

Employees in large companies who have some (useful) university degree such as engineering, business administration, electronics, computer science earn salaries starting around R$7000 and up per month.

Believe me, you're not going to be able to rent a 2 br and live well all on your own here as a teacher, impossible! You're going to need to share accommodations and keep costs to the minimum.

Cheers,

Hi William,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have been trawling the forum since I last posted and saw your most excellent guide entitled "A Gringo's Survival Guide".

It definitely seems that Asia, allows a teacher to save quite a lot of money ($1000 US p.m.). I have heard that Brazil / S.A. is a teaching destination only for life choice. I have been wandering the world looking for that special place to settle down in, and Brazil I'm hoping might be it.

However, it does seem like I might have to marry someone! to get the feel of the place (2 years)?

I noticed in your guide you mentioned it possible to get a one bedroom apartment for R$1000, is this still the case?

Or, have you heard of any studios i.e. one large room with bed and kitchen plus bathroom and a balcony for rent for a cheaper price?

It looks like the wages would allow me to earn R$2000-2400 take home for an 80 hour month?

If I could find a place for R$1000 (plus bills?) and use your other tips and advice I'm guessing I could live OK?

I'm also at the age where I don't party very much, so I can cut that out of the budget.

I have also read your language post and was very impressed with your presentation. I'm thinking maybe you are a teacher or have been? and so, would ask your advice on the possibility of getting 20 hours a week, either in one school? or more than one?(if necessary)

Is English language learning booming there in Brazil as it is here in Asia?

Thankyou in advance for your previous and future posts

Kind Regards

John

Hi John,

Yes, I've been an ESL teacher for twenty-five years now. Fourteen years teaching in an English Immersion High School in Canada and eleven years now teaching both English and Portuguese for foreigners here in Brazil.

I started out teaching in established schools here and almost starved to death. Now I teach private students, in São Paulo I taught top executives in the financial sector, bank and insurance company presidents, information technology executives, etc. Since moving to Macaé, Rio de Janeiro a year ago I've been teaching executives in the petroleum industry because Macaé is Brazil's petroleum capital.

Recruiting private students is the way to go, much better incomes can be earned, but it is a long and time consuming process. It's been a long time coming, but now after a year in this city I am earning a comfortable living.

Depending on where one chooses to live in Brazil in larger cities a one bedroom apartment will go for around 1000 or 1500 a month depending on the neighborhood. Obviously the farther you live from the downtown area the lower the rents will be. Kitchenettes are slightly less expensive if you can find one. The rents do not include utilities.

If you choose to live in a smaller city you will find lower rents than this, but the trade off is that you'll find it more difficult to recruit students and traditionally people are more resistant to learning English since they don't understand its commercial value and effects, in terms of increased income.

Cheers,

wjwoodward, I am trying come to Rio for the world cup in june 2014 and trying to find a cheap place to rent for the whole month. What would you recommend or suggest? I probably will try to get a group of guys together to see if we could pitch in and save some money. If you don't mind can you tell me what the estimate will be in u.s dollars? I looked at the hostels and if it's for me only i probably will go only with that but if there is a house for reasonable price with a group of ppl i will go with that as well.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Regards,

-aK>

Hi AK,

First of all there is no such thing as a "short-term" rental in Brazil. Rental contracts are, by law, of 30 months in length.

Looking for accommodations for short periods in Brazil is restricted to hotels, pousadas (guest houses), and private residences (usually furnished apartments) people rent out for the season "temporada". Generally speaking for a person (solo/couple/couple & child) the pousada is most economical way to go. anywhere in Brazil. For a group, 6 or more individuals the rental for the temporada often makes great financial sense.

Having said that, Brazilians are notorious for charging astronomically high prices for anything foreigners want, including accommodations. Prices are going to skyrocket for events like the 2014 World Cup and Olympic Games in 2016. I'm sure you're probably going to have to find something outside of Rio, in some other city altogether and bus back and forth to events. Where I live is about 4 hours by bus from Rio, and I almost guarantee that when the time comes you're going to have a hard time finding accommodations even here.

Cheers,

Thank you wjwoodward, i figure it's going to be very pricey considering the World Cup is the biggest events of all. I guess there won't be any estimate that I could prepare for right? Just crash where ever we found I guess. I am thinking to gather at least 10 people willing to spent a $1000 each minimum for one month only for a place to crash but from the way u sound even a couple of G won't be enough.

Let me know if you could give me more insight on this. Thanks for your time and help again. This is really very helpful information.

Regards,

-aK>

Hi DougH!

Being objective, and remember prices may vary by neighborhood:

1) rental of a two bedroom apartment (monthly):

Attention: Rent value in Brazil does not include manutance fees.

- Barra da tijuca : + urbanized beach / Senambetiba av. –> R$3-5k + R$1k fee
                                      + preservation area beach / Americas av nº5000+  -> R$2-4k + R$1-2k fee (huge complex with pools, parks and courts)
                                      + Rio 2 / Autodromo area -> R$1.5-2k + R$1k fee
         - Botafogo/humaitá: R$2-3k + R$.5-1k fee
         - Copacabana: R$2-5k + R$.5-1k fee (not ocean front)
         - Ipanema/Arpoador: R$4-8k + R$1-2k fee (not ocean front)
         - Gávea: R$2-4k + R$.5-1k fee
         - Lagoa: R$3-5k + R$1-2k fee
         - Leblon: R$3-7k + R$1-2k fees (not ocean front)
         - Recreio: R$1-3k + R$.5-1k

2) How much does public transport cost and how extensive is it?
           - Bus: R$2.75 (up to 2 buses within 2h): covers all the city, average velocity of 10km/h during traffic, 30km/h without. Need to change buses to reach other regions out of South Zone.
           - Metro: R$3.50 (one ticket, no discount pass available): covers only geographic east of the city, from Ipanema until city center and Tijuca. Only "2" lines (i would say 1, as the continue in the same line)
          - Trains: for the suburbs, probably you won't use it.
          - Taxis: cheapest fare of Brazil, you will expand R$70 (~35km) in your longest ride, normally about R$20 (~10km).

3) What is an average salary for a person with a university degree?
           - Depends on which kind of degree (brazilian degrees take longer than US ones, min 4 years to be considered BA, min 6 years Me/Ms), experience and profession. For up to 5y experience (longer experience may double or even triple these salaries):
                      + economist, design, IT, arquitect ...: R$5k
                      + engineers, lawyers, geologist: R$6k
                      + doctor (medical): R$8k
                      + professor (uni., w/ master): R$6k           

4) How much does a loaf of bread cost? How much is a liter of milk?
           - To fill in your fridge you should expect to expand at least R$400/person/month
           - tap water is not drinkable, so: R$1.2/1.5l
           - milk: R$3/1l
           - coke: R$5/3l
           - bread: R$10/1kg
           - vegetables (if you like to save money): most of them will be R$1/kg.
           - McDonalds BigMac and etc in combos: ~R$20.

Hi Luiza,

Thanks for contributing this very useful information.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you! Information is everything and it helps in all kind of ways.... I am curious about rental car and driving a car to Rio, do you recommend that? Because if my only choice is staying 4 hrs out of Rio Bus probably won't be a convenient way to do it.

It seem pretty hopeless from what I have gathered so far, I want to be there for two reasons. One for the love of soccer two an opportunity to see one of my dream places in the right circumstance.

You would be lucky to get a R$1'000 monthly salary, for 54 hours a week...
Brazilian small entrepreneurs are basically fraudsters and so it is easy they do not pay or pay you less than previously promised.
And you have no legal protection against Brazilians because, if you go to court, they buy false witnesses against you for R$50, and the judge will be against you.
However the cost of life is at North-American and European levels, even more for technological items. 
This is my direct experience in Rio de Janeiro.
[email protected]

Hello rscaru,

If you are working at a job with "Carteira Assinada", this is clearly not the case. All Brazilian employers are legally obligated to give exactly the same benefits and working conditions to ALL of their employees, be they Brazilians or foreigners. That includes, transportation, meals, holidays, work hours per week, etc., which are set out in labor law or specified in a work contract. Should they fail to do so then there are special courts just for work related issues. In all the years I've been living in Brazil I certainly have not heard of any employers that pay less to foreigners than to Brazilians, while I'm sure some try, I don't know of any specific cases. Generally speaking the Tribunal Regional do Trabalho rules in favor of agrieved workers more often than they do in favor of employers that they complain about.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi all...
regarding the cost of living in Rio de Janeiro.  Do you know if it's true that to rent an apartment could cost about usd 2000 (in a good place but not such expensive as Ipanema or Leblon)?  what about the condominium fees? do you know how much you pay for it?

About the health insurance, some friends told me it's is better to have a private health insurance, any idea about how much it cost?

Thanks in advance for your time and reply

Yes

Many rentals in decent neighborhoods can be $2000 (USD) or even more. Not at all surprising and they are getting higher all the time.

You can add on top of that Condominium fees (internal & external) and in most cases Residential Property Tax (IPTU).

Most rentals require that you either have a guarantor (fiador) who is Brazilian and owns property or rent insurance that will cover your rent payments should you default. A two month deposit is commonplace as well.

Rental contracts are fixed by law at 30 months, with a contractual fine for breaking the lease in the first 12 months. The fine is equal to the remaining balance of the twelve months. After the 12th month there is no longer a fine.

You can check out rentals at the following websites:

www.lugarcerto.comwww.bomnegocio.com

You can search by state, city, type of property, price, number of bedrooms and even number of parking stalls.

Private health insurance if you are working in Brazil usually makes up part of the salary package. If you aren't working then private health insurance is advisable, but it is quite expensive and the companies are always in trouble with the government because they don't cover treatments that they're supposed to. The public health system (SUS - Sistema Única da Saúde) covers everyone (even foreigners) but it's in chaos. I've used it for emergency medical care and have had absolutely no problems with it.

William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert - Expat-blog Team

thank you very much William... do you have know how much the condominium fee is? i understand it depends on the services the building has but....any idea about the minimum fee i should consider to pay? As you can see i'm trying to check what s the cost of living in Rio...and i want to be realistic about it...
regards

Yes

There is no "minimum" fee, but it can sometimes be so high as to appear a second rent payment. In many buildings R$600 is not uncommon.

William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert - Expat-blog Team

Condominio in bairros like Flamengo & Catete starts around R$ 500. The highes I've heard of is somewhere in Leblon, R$ 65K. (MONTH!!!)

thanks for the information, any idea if there is any outdoor gym or sports to practice in Rio? i mean, something like the boot camp training?

I had to pay two months security deposit, property tax (R$100,00/mo), and condominium/association fee (R$600,00/mo). This is in Manaus.

It isn't cheap - I would like to know where my association fee is going as nothing ever seems to get fixed in the building and the new building that it is now will soon become a slum. 

Perhaps looking at a non-managed property would be better.