Fitting in

I want to go and explore possibly living in Panama, I have read a lot of good things and some not good,the not good I am wondering about is wether an expat can ever be fully accepted
by local peoples, I have read and seen video on this that says you will be wanted as long as you have money in your pockets and a Panamanian has something to sell you, when you don't they coul care less about you the gringo with money for me.
Is there truth to this?

thanks,

Johnny p

No, I don't think so. This has not been our experience at all.

Learn Spanish!! I cannot stress this enough. You cannot make friends with the locals if you cannot communicate with them. But, if you even know enough to get by, if you are friendly and respectful of the local people and their way of life, they are so very warm, friendly, and welcoming.

But, this is just us. Other people have had different experiences. I think it depends on where you live, how you live, and how you relate to people. If you are trying to do business here, it can be a lot more complicated and frustrating with different language, customs, laws, and expectations. If you just want to live here, you should be fine.

Of course there are people everywhere looking for opportunities, and if you look like an opportunity to make a buck, they will try. That is the same the world over. But, in our experience, in this country relationships are very important. If you have friendly relationships with local people, they will treat you very well and look out for you like family. I cannot say enough good things about the Panamanians who are our friends here.

http://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/2012 … strangers/  One of many blog posts where I have talked about how much I love these people.

Kris  (David, Chiriqui, Panama - been here only 6 months)

JOHNNYPANAMA wrote:

I want to go and explore possibly living in Panama, I have read a lot of good things and some not good,the not good I am wondering about is wether an expat can ever be fully accepted
by local peoples, I have read and seen video on this that says you will be wanted as long as you have money in your pockets and a Panamanian has something to sell you, when you don't they coul care less about you the gringo with money for me.
Is there truth to this?

thanks,

Johnny p