Retiring

The winds finally picked up today on the mainland. Hope the islands are doing well. Was getting pretty hot lately

Actually bwood, this thread started out with people asking about places in Honduras that are recommended for retirement. I didn't even see your little comment about the weather. But thanks for chiming in anyway. There is no argument going on and I only wish Chris the best success on his development project. I was only showing another important side to conversation, that mainland Honduras is not Disneyland, it is a dangerous place. And I love it when you Canucks talk about us "Yanks" and then proceed to school us on world events, when you don't even know what your own governments policy is, take this headline from the news last month,
OTTAWA — Canada‘s steadily increasing role in the U.S.-led war on drugs is bumping up against calls for change in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Conservative government has made tackling drug trafficking in the Americas a key priority in recent years, deploying the military and doling out millions of dollars to help countries in the region take the fight to transnational crime groups.

Educate yourself first bwood, and then talk,,,,,eh?

You,re quite right. Canada,s Conservative government has been marching to the American tune from Iraq to Afghanistan. I,m not surprised that it,s attempting to curry votes and American approval in the so called war on drugs. Our government has also managed to sell itself to the American WAR ON TERROR. Thereby joining the only country in history to declare war on a noun.

And Disneyland had turned more minds to mush than all the drugs our fearless leaders pretend to fight. Prohibition creates organized crime and every one of them, no matter how far right they are, know it. But of course they need evil forces out there to stay in power and the Russians no longer fit the bill. Making war on nouns also helps to generate trillions in the brand new shiny business called Homeland Security. Or should that be Fatherland Security.

Oh and I apologize for using the word Yanks. In Canada, it,s more of a nickname than derogatory..like Canucks for example. One more point, a military superpower like America, which stumble towards bankruptcy, partly because of its endless and ruinous wars, needs enemies if the machine is going to continue to operate. Enemies also take the voters minds off things like a bankrupt economy, climate change, which will prove a billion times more deadly than all the narcos and fundamentalists put together, a health care system that fails half the population and an education system that pretty much ensures only the well off can go past high school. Which of course, further shrinks the middle class and widens the gulf between rich and poor. We have problems alright and they,re a hell of a lot more serious than well off people looking for safe hammocks in cheap countries.

All very true bwood, and you and yours are all part of it, so build a bridge and get over it,,,

Thanks Sandy... Maybe I went on a bit of a tirade, but Central America is dangerous not because they have more bad people, but because they have people living in bad circumstances. And our rich countries have been getting more rich at their expense for too long...b

We are seriously considering purchasing property and are visiting in Nov.  I would like to know more about these dangers  you guys are talking about.  I realize that "there" is not "here", for security reasons, is it better to be on Roatan than the mainland.  We are looking at property between Rio Estatan and Rio Coco on the north coast.  What can you tell me about this area.  I gather you are also in real estate.  All the property I saw in La Ceiba had barred windows and fences with barbed wire???

Talk about a "private little argument"? No need to rage against the Gigante de Norte!

Hello Hardystreet;
Roatan versus the mainland is like Montreal vs. Ontario, especially when it comes to cultures. Virtually everything is different.  I have people that say they should not be in country because of the 'crime'. I then ask if they would not then go to the U.S. because Chicago has a real crime issue now.

Bars on windows there on the mainland is to a degree an economic issue in many cases versus a criminal issue. If the home looks inviting people may invite themselves to what is inside because they, in many instances are very poor.  In some areas in & round LaCeiba there can be crime, in many places there is not.  Roatan has some crime also. It just does not have the quantity of people or gangs or involved with bad things that they have in the 'city' areas and or near that you have on the mainland, therefore far less crime. 

That said, I believe the Bay islands overall are far safer than many places on the mainland, just as a small farm town in the U.S. is probably safer than Chicago, (and I do not mean to knock Chicago, it is a great city just the facts are the facts).

Living on an island is more like living on a cul de sac.  Developers built those cul de sac type places for security.  I have been on Roatan coming up on 14 years.  There has been one bank robbery in that time and they caught them getting into a boat down the island headed for the mainland.  Many that come here to live or vacation seem to think it is ok for their brains to go on vacation also. It is not.

Hope that helps.      Larry

Larry nicely stated
Cheers