Looking for a sharing flat in Hamilton

Hi!

I am gonna move to Hamilton around August.
I am looking for a sharing accommodation.

Please send me a message if you have a room available or if you know someone looking for a roommate.

Thx in advance.

Colin

Hi Colin,

You'll love my hometown, I'm sure.

Follow the link below to the online version of the Hamilton Spectator newspaper and check their classified ads for shared accommodations.

http://www.thespec.com/

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi William,

Thank you very much for your link.
I am sure I will love your town.

Regards,

Colin

Hi, will be renting in hamilton near Columbia International college or about 5 or 10 mins walk from the school or 2-stops bus ride, which location/streets is safe? Most probably December 2013/January 2014. I am not familiar with hamilton at all -quite difficult to see from google map.Looking for a studio or one-bedroom.

thank you.

The area around Main St West and Westdale village is very safe, its a university location so there are many students about. Buses are frequent and convenient. The suburbs to the west of downtown is quite affluent and family-friendly. Hess Village in downtown is safe too. There is a good asian market at Dundern/Queen. The industrial neighbourhoods to the east is more grungy and it will take time to get used to it to feel safe. Hamilton extends to suburbs on the Mountain, Ancaster, Dundas and Waterdown. Its like what PJ is in relation to KL. You take the same safety precautions just as you would in KL.

About your question in the other thread, most applicants apply online on their own if they qualify clearly. And no, its not a good idea to travel to Canada as a tourist and try looking for a qualifying job to get PR. Most bona-fide newcomers with PR find it hard getting jobs without the Canadian-experience.

Hi Trubluns,

Thank you very much for the information especially about the safer hamilton areas. It is certainly very helpful.

Went to CE website- easiest way of course is to take up a degree and work after graduation- I already have 2 degrees in accounting and information systems, seriously, I am not keen to take up a PHD. Another way is to gain work experience there-are canadian employers willing to issue work permits? My degrees are from US universities and I mostly work in MNCs.
Its like chicken and egg situation, isnt it?

Anyone out there can help?

Again, trubluns, tq very much for info.

Hi Colin,

I have a room that I will be renting out. My apartment is located at Upper Gage & Fennell Ave on Hamilton's East Mountain. The mountain (which isn't a mountain at all but an escarpment) is filled with lovely neighbourhoods, shopping areas, families and singles.

One block from my location are bus stops, grocery stores, pharmacies, health food, fast food, banks, UPS, salons, hardware and beer stores. Hamilton's transit is very good.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

~Kitty

Hello Kitty, (no pun intended)

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team it's my extreme pleasure to welcome a fellow Hamiltonian on board. I hope your experience on the blog will be both enjoyable and informative.

Yep, I was born and raised in Hamilton (on the mountain), I lived on East 31st Street between Fennel and Brucedale. In my late 20s moved to Vancouver BC where I lived for 28 years until I came to Brazil over eleven years ago now, but I still haven't forgotten the brutally cold Hamilton winters. I don't even think the fact that I still have a great many relatives who live in the city could give me the courage to ever visit in the winter.  hehehehe

Interesting to see on Google Steetview that the house I was raised in is still there although it has been remodelled and the maple tree that I planted in the front yard as a small child has been cut down. I was also sad to see that my old school, Peace Memorial Elementary School, no longer exists - gads, from what I can see on Streetview it looks like it's now a cemetery (spooky thought).

Cheers,

Hello William,

Thank you for such a warm welcome. Although the last two winters have been relatively free of snow and much warmer than others, I still want to move somewhere warmer. Yes, much has changed here. I went to live in Mississauga/Toronto for 17 years and in that time, the elementary school my brother attended has been replaced by town homes. The woods where I used to collect empties from on Sunday afternoons after the high school kids had bush parties is now a highway and development has surpassed Rymal Rd now.

It's still a beautiful city in my eyes. The paths are lovely, the water front and Bay Street park have been "revitalized" and the contrast of the green space and the hard working citizens makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Despite all of that, I am bored and finding myself bordering on complacent. I feel if I do not make a move soon, I may never do it at all. I've spent much of my reading hours investigating different locations in Central & South America and working on a rough game plan. I feel much closer to my goal (of leaving). I can't say I'll want to stay in the first place I decide on but it's time for a change and I feel like turning 40 is a new beginning for me.

Again thank you for your words and kindness. I think this will be a good resource for me and I look forward to contributing in any way I can.

~Kitty Howard

Hi Kitty,

When you're actually getting down to the wire and start planning your move please feel free to PM me and I will give you a lot of tips and insights on moving to and living in Central or South American countries. It's not easy and one needs all the amo he or she can get to do it successfully.

Cheers,