Robbed by the police

Just wanted to share my experience from a few weeks ago.

Went out with a few colleagues for a few drinks on Friday evening.

Was driving home and got pulled over by the police. 

They said "You've been drinking haven't you.  We are going to arrest you and lock up in the cell"

My reply "Well sure.  We had a few beers after work but that's it."

Their reply "  We will arrest you and lock you up."

My reply " But I haven't done anything wrong?  There's nothing wrong with a few beers after work."  (I wasn't drunk.)

Their reply "We will lock you up but we can fix this if you pay us 600 kina."

My reply "I don't have 600 kina"

Their reply " That's ok.  We'll take you to an ATM so you can withdraw it."

So one policeman hopped in the front, another in the back whilst the police troupie followed and they took me to an atm.

I tried withdrawing 300 kina and giving it to them and hoped they wouldn't notice.  But they counted it carefully and threatened me again unless I gave them 600.

So I withdrew another 300 and gave it to them.  They said thanks and drove off.

When I got home I went to get my bag from the floor in the back but it was gone.

That bag had my passport, ipad, internet dongles, phone and various other valuables.  Stolen by the policeman who hopped in the back.

I didn't bother reporting it to the police.  Hey.. You guys just robbed me!!  hahaahahah

When there are 6 policeman around you with shotguns etc. then I didn't really want to argue.

I have spoken to a few expats since and have heard of a few that have suffered a similar fate.

Unfortunately you are not the first and you will not be the last to have that happen to you.

The country was great before independence and has gone down hill since then.

I heard this story.....terrible

PNG is a lawless country so sorry to hear this..

Hi tom that was a terrible situation and I am ashamed as a National. But please advice other expats in POM to always take note of the plate number of the vehicle and report it to your embasy or the high commissioner.