How Can You tell if you have an Ordinary visa or tourist Visa?

I just got a visa at the airport , however  i cant tell what would let me know if i did really get an Ordinary visa . could  any one let me know how to recognise if i did or did not get what i asked for ? Thanks

There is a letter E before the visa number i think and the price is written 25$. If 20 so tourism one.

Well i guess i got Screwed at customs . i paid 25 us and i put that i wanted a Ordinary visa and ended up with a tourist visa ! Oh well ! i should have known the difference  so i could have asked why i did Not get the ordinary visa!

Wich letter do you have before the visa number?

T is the letter !  Which i think stands for tourist  So i guess i am going to have to travel again ..... Even when you  get the right advice , doesnt guarentee  you get it ! He he

Yes.. T for. Tourism. ..
Sorry for that.
It's a big problem. ... ordinary. ..  business. ...
I think we should say E visa and T visa... but then, some will be confused with the e-visa and the E visa.
So now, you only can renew it for one more month before being obliged to pass the border.

Thank you Desolto for your info . maybe this is a lesson to check that  paperwork  is correct before i walk away from the visa place at the airport . yet still not easy if i di d know as i dont speak Kymer ...You nave. Been very helpfull thank you

Yoi are welcome

for the EI ( employment) visa they ask u for details of your job and stuff like that :D

No..
E is not an employment visa .
It's the ordinary one.
And they just ask for your picture and your money.
This is Cambodia.
E like Ordinary. .. :D

Only 2 kinds of visas at the airport  for foreigners:
T .... tourism 20 $
E  .... ordinary or sometimes called business 25 $

When you renew the tourist visa once is it the same price ? 20 us ........i gues i donated 5 dollars to a  customs official new year weekend !

Well... sorry to always be the one with bad news..  but NO... one month extension = 44 $
:(

e or business .. yeah .. same thing i guess lo, i thought the ordinary one is the tourist visa
N it can be extended yearly.. right?.. for about 280 $

No no no... :D
E=Ordinary=Business=25 $/1month=284 $/1year
T=Tourism=20 $/1month=44 $/1month extension=Useless :lol:

It's confusing.
Whatever. ..
Let's say Visa E and Visa T.
Easier to understand.
All this because the immigration doesn't speak english.
The fact is there is not such a "Business" visa in Cambodia as no justification is needed for that E visa.

just saying.. they asked me for justification so talking from my own experience ..

Where exactly did they asked for that ? The airport or an Embassy ?

airport phnom penh !!

What do you think is the most economical way to go out and return to get Ordinary visa???

Wimbleton... i would say Koh Kong.
But it is a long trip.
Maybe easier to go to Bangkok and coming back. ... AirAsia is the cheapest. ...

Aaliyah01...
Ok... I don't want to say anything that might  be misunderstood but.... people from the immigration sometimes do what they want.... One time, at  Koh Kong border, they refused yo let me pass the border. When i asked whey, they answered tht African people can cross the borders only at the airport.  They finally apologise when they saw my french passeport.

Now maybe rules changed for the visa E.
I will check. But i don't think so. Yesterday i called the travel agency where i usually extend my visa E with no justifications. They told me that nothing changed....
Very strange...
Have to investigate.
:D

Anybody can confirm is it possible to get Ordinary visa on the overland border crossing? If it's possible, on which one? And do I need some supporting documents?

I send a question about Ordinary visa to two travel agencies and I got different explains. It's seems that nobody know how and where to get ordinary visa if you don't fly.

Two months ago, I tried to get Ordinary visa on the Lao-Cambodian border crossing but they said there is only tourist visa. One month ago, I extended my visa and paid 60$ to travel agent who do it (because I am in Kep writing a book and have no time to go in PP or Sihanoukvil).
Next month I must do visa-run, probably to Thailand. I will take a bus to BKK and then fly back to PP. But it's not so cheep and also there is no garancy I will really get Ordinary visa. 

@Dosolto, do you have any advice? I just need information, where and how to get E visa.

Really very difficult to answer.
About the visa, there is on one hand what they are supposed to do and on the other hand what they really do.
You should be able to take visa "E" at some borders for around 30 $ as the price is little bit higher than at the airport.
Give me some time to try to find which borders exactly.
But the problem is that it will not be 100 % guaranty.
The flight back from BKK gives you more garanties to get your visa. Please... make sure they understand you... say visa E.... add NOT TOURISM. ....
Some have asked a Ordinary and get a visa T... so be careful.

According to the PP airport's website [1] "supporting documents" are required for "Bussiness & Official" visas. I'm assuming by that they mean the "E-Visa"?

Anyone arrived recently enough or knows if they accept a freelancer who makes money from abroad and spends it locally to stay on a E-Visa? Or if they require anything at all?

This is all very confusing as the embassies' websites don't give any definite information on this and everyone here seems to not know 100% either?

Just trying to make sure I don't get stuck at PP airport and fly back to somewhere 30 days later. :D

[1] cambodia-airports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=20&lang=en

Ok...
NO...
E-VISA is electronic visa. You can get it on internet. . It's a tourism visa.
Business visa is a visa E instead of T for tourism.
On the embassies website and on officials documents it is said that you need an employment proof to get the business visa....
However this proof is NEVER asked at the airport to get this visa.
Also, 8f that rule changes during YOUR trip (you are not a lucky man) you can not be stuck. You can ask for a tourism one the time to figure out what's going on.

Thanks dosolto!

I consulted with the embassy here in the Phils (under a fictional name) just now and see what comes off it. :)

I'm not too worried if I can't stay for a long period at a time. Since I'm planning to stay in Sihanoukville at first I can pretty easily just go to Thailand and come back a few times until I figure things out. Just flying back isn't really an option as I do have a bit more baggage than the usual traveler. :P

I'll keep this thread posted on the proceedings on my side in hope it'll help future readers.

Any embassy will tells you that you DO NEED a proof of employment for a business visa.... It's the official procedure.
But again I insist. ... If you take your business visa at your arrival at the airport you will only need 2 pictures and 25$ ... that's all.

I understand there is a difference between a business visa and a work-permit (aka employment visa according to Aaliyah01) though. As far as I was able to gather, the business visa does not allow you to be employed by a company but rather run your own business - as the name already suggests - only.

Either way, thanks for the input so far and yes, I'll probably just take the risk and go for a tourist visa should the business visa not work out, then go from there.

For now though, I'm still waiting for a response from Cambodia's embassy here in Manila and will post the results. :)

Until then, all the best to everyone trying this!

No...
Business visa = employment visa = visa E (E for Employment)
You can run your own business.
You can also work for a company. .. you will just have to ask for a work permit in addition.

I did the run to the airport after initially coming here and it posted in the airport ordinary visa 25 us plus 2us if you do not have photos with you . just make sure you say when asked on your flight form how long you want tostay 6 months or longer and you MAKE SURE  you mark ordinary visa . both these two details are important . If you answer only 1 month instead of say 6 or more months , they may still give you a tourist visa . so both details are important ... Also dont part with the cash until you see your visa with the E and numbers .   Also use your phone to take apicture of you form you fill out on the airplane to verify you have chosen  the ORDINARY VISA

dosolto wrote:

No...

For a long time it called the ordinary visa, no business. But letters are still same:

EI = ordinary visa
TI = tourist visa

snezana011 wrote:
dosolto wrote:

No...

For a long time it called the ordinary visa, no business. But letters are still same:

EI = ordinary visa
TI = tourist visa

Come on... we are not going to talk 100 times again about that.
in all countries of the world you have tourism visa and employment visa.
In Cambodia the visa E is employment visa E for Employment. . You know?
BUT because they want to make it easy for foreigners, they don't ask any proof at the airport.
If you want you can check with any Cambodian embassy abroad. They will answer you that for a visa E you need a letter from your employer.
But again, this is the rule.
In facts this letter is not required at the airport.

dosolto wrote:
snezana011 wrote:
dosolto wrote:

No...

EI = ordinary visa
TI = tourist visa

Come on... we are not going to talk 100 times again about that.
in all countries of the world you have tourism visa and employment visa.
In Cambodia the visa E is employment visa E for Employment. . You know?
BUT because they want to make it easy for foreigners, they don't ask any proof at the airport.
If you want you can check with any Cambodian embassy abroad. They will answer you that for a visa E you need a letter from your employer.
But again, this is the rule.
In facts this letter is not required at the airport.

I really don't understand what is the problem. Why you insist to explain why and how happened that business visa change the name to ordinary? Do you think that is important? I didn't get ordinary visa first time because i asked for business visa in embassy and they said I need a papers of my employer.
Then I tried at the border. They said there is no more business visas and gave me tourist visa. I didn't know for name ordinary in that point. Second time I asked only for ordinary and I got it in a few minutes on airport, without any questions or papers.
I am a long-time traveller and for me it's the most important how to get what you need, not to read long explains how some name changed and why. That can confuse people, you know?
People here asked how to be sure they will get visa they need. That is only way: ask for ordinary, and don't mention business. Correct?

Yes you really don't understand.
I am not confusing anyone.
I never said that the name changed.
At the embassies they are telling you that you need papers from you work because you DO need them officially to get the visa E (for EMPLOYMENT)
BUT THIS RULE IS NOT APPLIED AT THE BORDERS to ease things for foreigners.
Ask to mr Wimbleyon who asked for an Ordinary visa and get the Tourism one.
Ordinary means "as usual" ... or I maybe wrong....
In which country did you see that it was "usual" to travel for a year?
If I am confusing people it's maybe because english is not my mother's tongue.
So thousands apologies for that.

dosolto wrote:

Yes you really don't understand.
I am not confusing anyone.
I never said that the name changed.
At the embassies they are telling you that you need papers from you work because you DO need them officially to get the visa E (for EMPLOYMENT)
BUT THIS RULE IS NOT APPLIED AT THE BORDERS to ease things for foreigners.
Ask to mr Wimbleyon who asked for an Ordinary visa and get the Tourism one.
Ordinary means "as usual" ... or I maybe wrong....
In which country did you see that it was "usual" to travel for a year?
If I am confusing people it's maybe because english is not my mother's tongue.
So thousands apologies for that.

I read before about that case, but when I was flying one months ago from BKK to PP, all passengers in the plane filled out applications for visas. That was a lot of papers to fill it. I'd bet that Mr Wimbelyon made mistake in some of them I'd do it if I didn't have in experience two wrong trying to get right visa and i filled out it very, very carefully.
In Georgia you can stay 360 days without visa. It's very similar.

Ok... you win :D
Oh... by the way. ..
Next time you could ask the embassies for an "ordinary visa"
After that come back here to talk about their answer :lol:
Or maybe all embassies get it wrong as well !

dosolto wrote:

It's nice, but i don't think it is game. We both wanna help other people to don't make mistake and we put big effort to explain what they should do.
I loose a lot of money and 3 pages in my passport (and now I need to renew it) because I didn't find on internet correct information. I tried a lot, trust me. You can find on the official website Ministry or Foreigner affairs that you can get you ordinary visa on the main border crossings or at the airport. But that's not true - you can do it only if you fly. And if you keep four eyes open when you fill out application form.
In Cambodia there is a lot of confusing things and one of them is about visa rules. You have right about it - they say one rule on their official website but in the praxis there is something else.

dosolto wrote:

Oh... by the way. ..
Next time you could ask the embassies for an "ordinary visa"
After that come back here to talk about their answer :lol:
Or maybe all embassies get it wrong as well !

Won't be next time for me. I leave Cambodia soon.:cool:

The e-type visa is easily obtained at major land border crossings -  Bavet, Koh Kong, Poipet and up at the lao border near stung treng.

All entry visas are valid for 1 month from the date of entry.

The online pre-purchased "e-visa" is only applicable to t-type visas.

You absolutely can get either t or e type visas at major land crossings.

The "e-type" entry visa allows for employment and can be renewed indefinitely. Some border officials will ask for a letter of intent of invitation.  Some won't. The official price is US $25 but at land borders it is likely the officials or the bus company will ask for $5 more.

The "t-type" visa allows 1 month stay and can only be renewed once, for one more month. Official price is US $20 and can be obtained at nearly every crossing. Officials or bus companies will ask for more.

To change a t-type to an e-type visa, jump on a bus to koh kong or poipet, cross over into Thailand,  then turn around and come back into Cambodia. Alternatively, many travel agents will do this for you for $80-100.

songha wrote:

The e-type visa is easily obtained at major land border crossings -  Bavet, Koh Kong, Poipet and up at the lao border near stung treng.

Simply it's not true. I couldn't get Ordinary visa when I crossed from Lao. They said that is only tourist visa available on that border crossing. I can take a photo of my first visa from that border crossing if you need a prove.
Did you check out all those border crossing or just share information you found somewhere? I know you didn't try to get an ordinary visa on Lao-Cambodia border crossing. For others, I am not sure because I didn't try. Did you?