HOW TO TRAVEL FROM AMBATO TO CARCELEN?

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on how to travel from Ambato to Carcelén. I know that I need to take the bus from Ambato to Quito South Terminal, but what do I do from there? I think I have to take 2 buses or trolley's but not sure which one.

Thank you in advance!

Shannon

Hi sprsweets, where is Carcelén?

Carcelén is the main bus terminal in the north of Quito.  Quitumbe is the main terminal in the south of Quito. 

I've been on buses that while pulling into the south station, they will ask the passengers if anyone is going to Carcelén and the bus finishes its route at the north, Carcelén station.  That would be your best option.  Ask the driver or driver's helper if they are going to Carcelén when you get on. 

If they aren't going to Carcelén station then here's how I would get there.

Starting in Quitumbe, buy your $.25 bus ticket at the window next to the exit turnstile and then exit.  Find the Sur Oriental long, accordion type bus that says "De Las Universidades".  It is in the middle platform on the left side(with your back to the station). Get on and find a seat, because it's about a 45 minute ride.  You will pass the "Las Universidades" stop, and then make 2 left turns and the next stop is Galo Plaza.  Get off here.

From the Galo Plaza exit, take the first left onto Vincente Ramon Roca. Walk 2 blocks northwest (toward the tall mountains) passing Reina Victora, and stop when you get to Juan Leon Mera. There is a bus stop near the corner of Juan Leon and Ramon Roca.  On Juan Leon, you will catch a bus with a green plaque in the front that has many names, but you're looking for the two words Carcelén and Eloy Alfaro.  If it's a red plaque that only says Carcelén, do not get on.  It will take you to the town of Carcelén and not the terminal.
Once on the correct bus, try to find a seat because it's another 30 minute ride.  The Terminal will be on the left, so when you see something that looks like a station with a bunch of buses, get off. 

The combination of ways to get there are numerous, but this is the simplest way I could think of without just taking an expensive taxi.

Wow jm141302,

You couldnŽt have been more thorough and I couldnŽt be more appreciative. I have done this route before, but with a friend and I couldnŽt quite remember how since there are so many changes. I am going to be alone this time, in the evening, so I want to be confident of where I am going.

Really good idea about asking the driver if they will be stopping in Carcelen, never thought of doing something like that. Definitely will ask and hope it works out for me.

I will let you know how it goes, again, thank you very much. You are a good contact to have!

Shannon

Hi.  Glad to help.   I actually just ran down there to check to make sure I was accurate.  The people I work with probably wondering why I'm a sweaty mess.  I updated my first explanation slightly, so now you turn on Vincete Ramon Roca from Galo Plaza. It's a little bit easier that way.

Well ended up going to Floresta, so didn't take your route. Had to drop off a friend, but will be using it in the near future. Thanks again!