Motorbike licence

As of 2013 the license is issued for the length of your visa or if you are married you can get a 1 year license. That is he in Vung Tau, as usual it could be different in each province. Its a real pain in the bum, they used to issue the license for at least 5 years, looks like the license department is after more money,how unusual.

They are interested to make money anyway :D
Whether you are qualified to drive or not!

My point is, I used to get a license for 5 years, now I can only get a year. So thats 5 license renewals over the same time I usually just do it once.Its the same as visas, Viet Nam has the most expensive visa costs and thats another reason people are leaving and also not coming here.

I had check with them about it, they told me to go back renew it.
I will be going to renew it next month.

Unless necessity, I never wish to see that 'creatures' faces!
That's why still driving(better to be unsafe than sorry!) without that laminated card!

Thx for the info.
I was told by Vietnamese department of transport if I should extend my car drivers license next time I would be in Vietnam it would become a lifetime drivers license. You all have a different experience. I need a new copy anyhow because the paperwork kind off got smashed during the last trip and will have to suffer on the next one too.

My drivers livence are like 4 A4 format pages with stamps and signatures. Seemed impressive because a HCM cop first neglected the papers as they were not valid, but kind off shrank into a littele boy when he took a closer look.
Are yours also in A4 format?

You posted that you got a 5 year license, is that correct, then you edited it.

Yes that is correct, I thought I posted in the wrong topic. For the car that is. My motor driver license has a life time validation.

Sorry, just awake. It is not correct. It only states the validation date of my Dutch liicense. There are no other dates.

Ok, I went to check my renewal for next year and they said they wont give a VN license that expires the same time my Australian one does. But thats here in Vung Tau, Im sure I could go to Dalat and get a totally different story.

If you pass a theory test and a practice test for Vietnamese Driving Licence (Motorbike only) in Vietnam, you will hold a Motorbike licence for your lifetime.

If you pass a theory test and a practice test for Vietnamese Driving Licence (car only or car&motorbike) in Vietnam, you will hold a driving licence for 10 years.

If you convert your national driving licence to a Vietnamese one, the expired date of VN driving licence will follow the expired date of your national driving licence.

After 1/1/2013:

If you pass a theory test and a practice test for Vietnamese Driving Licence (Motorbike only) in Vietnam, you will hold a Motorbike licence for your lifetime.

If you pass a theory test and a practice test for Vietnamese Driving Licence (car only or car&motorbike) in Vietnam, you will hold a driving licence for 10 years.

If you convert your national driving licence to a Vietnamese one, the expired date of VN driving licence will follow the expired date of your Vietnamese visa or a Temporary Residence Card. Of course it follows the expired date of your national driving licence too.

Thx Louis, in that case it's better for me to keep my vn license as it is.

Any comments on this?

I read the govt link provided earlier in the thread which is this:

http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/huong … T15:05:00Z

google translation provides this:

Expected to learn and implement new levels of driving licenses
I / - Condition:
1      For Vietnam:
a          must have identity cards or passports are still valid. There are enough age prescribed for each class GPLX:
+                    Class A1: 18.
+                    Class B1, B2: 18.
+                    Grade C: 21 years.
b          Sufficient health as prescribed.
c          Submit all procedures prescribed records.
d          pay fees for examinations and granting GPLX classes are defined for each class GPLX.
2      For foreigners:
In addition to the points a, b, c, d in Section 1 require additional conditions:
-           Is it time resident or are working, studying in Vietnam for 03 months and is confirmed by the competent authority.
-           Must read, understand and write in Vietnamese.
II/- Hồ sơ :
1      An application for a school project, testing for levels GPLX (prescribed form). 
2      medical certificate issued by a competent medical facility granted under (a period not exceeding 01 years).
3      Copy of ID card or valid passport.
When you take the exam must bring original ID card (or passport) to examine and compare).
4 04 color photos (3x4) style identity card.
III / - Recipients profile : At the base of driver training HCM City Department of Transportation (list attached).

Did you get that? Must speak, read, write the Viet language.
1) does it mean everyone loses their licences on renewal?
2) does it create a new class of walkers around Vietnam?
3) is it misunderstood or not true?
4) does it kill peoples hopes of living in VN?

I can understand the need for language, its not VNs fault or problem and in fact the lack of language on a foreigners part is contributing to visa backlash going on around ASEAN. Fine, people should know the language of the place they are living. But that said, its a long road to learn even basic Viet. Personally im not sure I can but regardless, that news is a blow because i'd have a dire need for a licence long before I could pass a Viet language proficiency test. Ohhhh boy.....

So if true, whats next, extend the language requirement to others, like work permit holders and long term residents? Who knows, maybe. Well, one step at a time....

@Cvco: the above link about getting new licence. Read this link, you can change your driver licence.

http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/huong … d51010c6da

piertje wrote:

Wish I ran into this forum 3 years ago lol!
I was in HCM and had no clue how to change my dutch drivers license into a vietnamese one. People were very friendly so it all worked out fine. Got 4 pages of A4 format filled with signatures :)
I was told my motor license was legal for lifetime, but my car license would expel in 5 years. Is this true?
Where can I extend my car drivers license? WIll go back to Vietnam later this year.

Thanks for the help

They use the expiry date on your Foreign licence, ( they have on my Aus car licence ), so really it's only a translated copy, but VN legal.
There was a  thread on here on licences a few months back, saying now they only give you a licence for the length of your Visa, maybe someone with a TRC can verify this.

ngattt wrote:

@Cvco: the above link about getting new licence. Read this link, you can change your driver licence.

http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/huong … d51010c6da

Bloody marvelous website, how about translating it for us?, ( Google Translate is hopeless ).

bluenz, actually my blue highlight above was the google translation and it reads ok.

In HER link, the law mentions the exchange licence following the term of the existing licence but doesnt refer to any foreigners, so it seems the beginning portion of the law (my blue above) applies to foreigners, hence the scare about language. (dont ask me im trying to learn these rules--and web presentation of Viet laws!)

So what qualifies as a NEW licence? If im exchanging, i dont need to be proficient in the Viet language but if i didnt have a motorbike licence before, thats a NEW licence and therefore i have to prove language proficiency?

Half the people in here didnt ride a bike before.....uh-oh......

Changing the driving license of a foreign country for foreigners

I / - Condition:
- Foreigners with residence time, work and study in Vietnam for 03 months or more;
- Foreign driver's license must have: still valid date, car's level (dont think it right, example: B1, B2, C1, C2...) is suitable, your license must be clear, they can identify you.
- Do not change a temporary foreign driver's license, international driver's license.

Note: still passport has expired date

cvco wrote:

bluenz, actually my blue highlight above was the google translation and it reads ok.

In HER link, the law mentions the exchange licence following the term of the existing licence but doesnt refer to any foreigners, so it seems the beginning portion of the law (my blue above) applies to foreigners, hence the scare about language. (dont ask me im trying to learn these rules--and web presentation of Viet laws!)

So what qualifies as a NEW licence? If im exchanging, i dont need to be proficient in the Viet language but if i didnt have a motorbike licence before, thats a NEW licence and therefore i have to prove language proficiency?

That's strange, because when i opened it , it was in VN???
When i sat my M\b licence here, ( I already had my VN car licence ), the testers told my wife to shout up, and all she was doing was telling me where to write my name and address on the form you have to fill in before the practical test , it was in Viet, I almost made a scene,  and they looked too scared to stop my wife the next time she talked to me.

giay phep lai oto co thoi han den tuoi nghi huu
If you have a motorcycle license, international or from your country you can ride big bikes in Vietnam.
Its official not.
no more bull s**t

jbay1943 wrote:

If you have a motorcycle license, international or from your country you can ride big bikes in Vietnam.
Its official not.
no more bull s**t

B1 driving license is valid until retirement
Instead of 10 years worth today, is from 1/12 this year, driving license B1 class cars will give drivers with a deadline approaching retirement age.

Driver license renewal period shortened to 5 days / Meet troublesome when the license change, people texting Minister

Transport Minister Dinh La Thang has signed, issued Circular 48, amending and supplementing some articles of Circular No. 46 on provisions for training, testing, driving license (GPLX) motor sets, which amended a series of articles relating to the grant deadline, GPLX foreigners, verify the information and renew the driver's license.
gt1-1348829814-480x0-4581-1414460850.jpg

Grade B1 driving license (passenger cars up to 9 seats, 3.5 ton trucks under the transportation business) will be valid until retirement age, with 60-year-old male and female is 55 years. Photo: NH

Specifically, under this revised circular is rated B1 driving license (passenger cars up to 9 seats, 3.5 ton trucks under the transportation business) for the motorists for up to 55 years old enough for women and to 60 years for men; in case the driver over 45 years for women and 50 years for men, the driver's license being granted have a term of 10 years from the grant date. As at present, this type of driving license only valid value 10 years from the date of issuance.

Also GPLX type A1, A2, A3 indefinite. GPLX Class A4, B2 has a term of 10 years from the date of issuance. GPLX grade of C, D, E, FB2, FC, FD, FE has a term of 5 years from the date of issuance (the same as the old circular).

Revised Circular also provides that foreigners or Vietnam who reside overseas demand to drive in Vietnam, n I f there GPLX national procedures must be changed to correspond GPLX of Vietnam; if international GPLX by the competent authorities of the States Parties to the Convention on Road Traffic 1968 level, and duration of use of the vehicles drove regulations stated in GPLX that are not translated into Vietnamese GPLX South.

In case of GPLX treaties to which Vietnam is a contracting party shall apply the provisions of that treaty.

Related to verify GPLX content, new circular issued regulations clearly verification GPLX must immediately via telephone or e-mail or fax and then send a written ... And not superficial change time GPLX no more than 5 working days after receiving complete and valid dossiers as prescribed. When changing GPLX, level agency cut corners GPLX GPLX old (except for the driving license issued abroad).

This Circular takes effect on 01/12/2014.

Why don't you guys just go and get that theory test practicing CD and book, memorize and take the test. Honestly not that hard.

Though I only have an A 1 license but on mine it says “Co gia tri den/expires: KHONG THOI HAN

I doubt many would be able to do that,I think trying to remember that many answers in VN is beyond most people.

bluenz wrote:
jbay1943 wrote:

Its official not.
no more bull s**t

B1 driving license is valid until retirement
Instead of 10 years worth today, is from 1/12 this year, driving license B1 class cars will give drivers with a deadline approaching retirement age.

Driver license renewal period shortened to 5 days / Meet troublesome when the license change, people texting Minister

Transport Minister Dinh La Thang has signed, issued Circular 48, amending and supplementing some articles of Circular No. 46 on provisions for training, testing, driving license (GPLX) motor sets, which amended a series of articles relating to the grant deadline, GPLX foreigners, verify the information and renew the driver's license.
gt1-1348829814-480x0-4581-1414460850.jpg

Grade B1 driving license (passenger cars up to 9 seats, 3.5 ton trucks under the transportation business) will be valid until retirement age, with 60-year-old male and female is 55 years. Photo: NH

Specifically, under this revised circular is rated B1 driving license (passenger cars up to 9 seats, 3.5 ton trucks under the transportation business) for the motorists for up to 55 years old enough for women and to 60 years for men; in case the driver over 45 years for women and 50 years for men, the driver's license being granted have a term of 10 years from the grant date. As at present, this type of driving license only valid value 10 years from the date of issuance.

Also GPLX type A1, A2, A3 indefinite. GPLX Class A4, B2 has a term of 10 years from the date of issuance. GPLX grade of C, D, E, FB2, FC, FD, FE has a term of 5 years from the date of issuance (the same as the old circular).

Revised Circular also provides that foreigners or Vietnam who reside overseas demand to drive in Vietnam, n I f there GPLX national procedures must be changed to correspond GPLX of Vietnam; if international GPLX by the competent authorities of the States Parties to the Convention on Road Traffic 1968 level, and duration of use of the vehicles drove regulations stated in GPLX that are not translated into Vietnamese GPLX South.

In case of GPLX treaties to which Vietnam is a contracting party shall apply the provisions of that treaty.

Related to verify GPLX content, new circular issued regulations clearly verification GPLX must immediately via telephone or e-mail or fax and then send a written ... And not superficial change time GPLX no more than 5 working days after receiving complete and valid dossiers as prescribed. When changing GPLX, level agency cut corners GPLX GPLX old (except for the driving license issued abroad).

This Circular takes effect on 01/12/2014.

I'd love/hate to drive a four wheeled vehicle in VN.
Except in a beast.Had one exactly the same like this many moons ago. A tank.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4934/2541/24833770003_large.jpg

cvco wrote:

Many have said they were able to get the VN license without doing the theory test (just the driving test) because they had a regular driver's license (no motorcycle endorsement) from their own country.

What's this stuff about 'exchanging'? Do they actually take your original license? Because I kinda need mine. Plus I don't want to think about where it and the info it contains could potentially end up if surrendered...

You don't surrender your home country license, you just get it translated and apply for a VN license. The original license is returned to you after it's been translated.

Have I read this right? 60 years old is the limit for a licence starting 1 December?

Thats bad for me, i just spent a month in VN to explore opening a company and if I knew i couldnt drive in the country in the future that would ruin all chances of staying here. Wow.