Visting(and will be living) Brazil soon!!!!

I have finally found an occupation that will allow me to visit and live in Brazil as often as I can AND I CAN"T WAIT.  I am too excited that my dream will come true!!!  The only thing is.....I do not know enough portuguese to find a bathroom lol! But I am willing to learn from someone.  I also need to spend some time in the country to get an Idea of where I would like to stay. Most likely I will stay in Rio because of the amount of expats there.

Hi Vlad,

Glad to hear your good news. Now that your dream is in sight you have to make sure it doesn't slip away.

I can't stress to you enough the absolute need to learn Portuguese. I know money is always an issue, but you have to think of what a Portuguese language course costs you as an investment; an investment in your future and an investment in you dream. Make it your priority - so if you go out with the guys for drinks a couple of times a week, cut back to once a week. If you eat out at restraunts often, cut that back to just now and then. You need to do whatever it takes to get enough to pay for a course or you're going to fall flat when you arrive here.

Vlad, you have to trust me on this on OK. I've been here for over eleven years now. I've lived in several cities in that time and I've seen foreigners come and go, because they had difficulty with the language. You just can't get by without it. English isn't going to get you anywhere here. The transition and adaptation here was difficult enough for me, and I had learned to speak the language fluently by the time I arrived.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks alot. I was really into learning the language while I was in the military but It is hard for me, I may need a tutor.

I have a couple language programs such as Rosetta Stone, but is that enough?  How do I go about finding a tutor?  I live in Bakersfield, CA and we mainly speak English,Spanish, and Punjab haha. 

I trust your experience and advice. I have read a many of blogs where the expat struggle to get by because of the language barrier and I want my transition to be a smooth one.

There should be several language schools in the Bakersfield area, phone around and see if any offer a Portuguese course.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team