Surfeasy

Has anyone used this device,particularly to watch BBCiPlayer in Malta?
Apart from providing anonymity when browsing, apparently it allows any geoblocked sites to be viewed by changing one's IP address.

https://surfeasy.com/

Hi Redmik,

Just been looking at this, looks really good with good support and reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/SURFEASY-INC-1000 … ewpoints=1

The only "problem" of Surfeasy is that it works only with anonymous servers located mainly in the US and Canada so depending on how the web service check the location of the user you might find the web service still unavailable.

A different approach are services such as HMA (Hide My Ass!). You can choose your identity (IP) from a list of 53 countries. Note also that services which do a strong advanced check of GeoIP they might know that the IP belong to a specific VPN service and block it.

Hi Mick

it looks a fairly good piece of kit, however, I've just looked at the device on the UK Amazon site and notice it is limited to 2Gb per month ( See Here ) which may limit it to what you actually want it for.........£65 is a lot of money for it not to be suitable for your needs.

Mike

How do these differ to the likes of expat shield etc, don,t they do the same thing ie change your IP address?

Terry ( all replies in english please :/)

tearnet wrote:

How do these differ to the likes of expat shield etc, don,t they do the same thing ie change your IP address?

Terry ( all replies in english please :/)

Terry

I suppose this is white (from the pictures I've seen) and the others aren't............I think.

Mike

Again Lusco presents an opinion as a fact; which I know to be false. Now, this is not helpful and certainly doesn't help others when they ask specific questions regarding life on Malta/Gozo.
Anyone can research the internet, where all, of course, is tested fact :lol: but opinions presented as facts are misleading and do nothing to help.

Have you ever used one on Malta particularly to watch BBC iPlayer Lusco?
That was the question I asked.
I want to read the opinions of experience, not of speculation.

there are cheaper online options and fully operational and compatible with the uk i players.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

there are cheaper online options and fully operational and compatible with the uk i players.

Toon
      Does surfeasy plug in to your computer? or is it a bit of software you download?

Terry

It plugs in via USB port and yes there are others available online.
I just wanted to know about this if used on Malta as it is cheap and a one off payment.

Here's one recommended by my son in law who is a bit of a 'guru' in things like this. http://www.bolehvpn.net/

Tearnet - i suspect its a plug in usb unit with downloaded software including updates.. there are loads of vpn services available ive tried a good few over the last 5 years or so and they all mostly do what they say - some are with ads some arent. Must admit to not liking expat shield..too many ads and resource hungry. but it works for some.

with the impending demise of the uktv sat services here in malta within the next 3months....i am just wondering now about a cam module (maybe sky or soem other sat service) for my smart tv which has sat tv installed and internet too. so far the filmon side works fine as does stuffedcrust.

altho it has to be said that no one knows what sky are going to do with their platform, when the uktv FTA services drop out of the footprint

Surfeasy is here: https://surfeasy.com/

Cheapest price is from QVC: http://www.qvcuk.com/CatalogSearch?lang … 1319&y=-44

£49.56

Toon said =
"Tearnet - i suspect its a plug in usb unit with downloaded software including updates.. there are loads of vpn services available ive tried a good few over the last 5 years or so and they all mostly do what they say - some are with ads some arent. Must admit to not liking expat shield..too many ads and resource hungry. but it works for some."

OK, so you can take it with you and use it on any computer?
We use filmon and expatshield ( but a paid version) and have no adverts, so suits us fine.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

[i]
OK, so you can take it with you and use it on any computer?
Terry

Apparently so.

yep you got it.

Thanks guys

that appears to have cleared it all up for me also.

Like you said toon, about the demise of the FTA, a suitable alternative is out there - we just have to find it.  My nephew gets a 'service' that allows him to watch all the footy/sport he wants.....but I don't yet know what else he can get.  I will be fully investigating it when we next visit and if it's viable then I'll share the info (by PM would probably be better.....for discretion you understand).

Cheers

Mike

MikeInPoulton wrote:

I will be fully investigating it when we next visit and if it's viable then I'll share the info (by PM would probably be better.....for discretion you understand).
Cheers Mike

And to me too please :)

redmik wrote:

Again Lusco presents an opinion as a fact; which I know to be false. Now, this is not helpful and certainly doesn't help others when they ask specific questions regarding life on Malta/Gozo.
Anyone can research the internet, where all, of course, is tested fact :lol: but opinions presented as facts are misleading and do nothing to help.

Have you ever used one on Malta particularly to watch BBC iPlayer Lusco?
That was the question I asked.
I want to read the opinions of experience, not of speculation.

My comment some posts above had absolutely no opinion and it was not an answer to your specific question. Instead it was information absolutely related with the topic, which I do believe might be useful for other users (specially for those who want to watch contents geoblocked outside their countries -not necessarily only services targeting UK based users) and maybe (or maybe not) also for you.

MikeInPoulton wrote:

Thanks guys

Like you said toon, about the demise of the FTA, a suitable alternative is out there - we just have to find it.  My nephew gets a 'service' that allows him to watch all the footy/sport he wants.....but I don't yet know what else he can get.  I will be fully investigating it when we next visit and if it's viable then I'll share the info (by PM would probably be better.....for discretion you understand).

Cheers

Mike

i have that "service" already and have had it for 4 years

Lusco wrote:

My comment some posts above had absolutely no opinion and it was not an answer to your specific question. Instead it was information absolutely related with the topic, which I do believe might be useful for other users (specially for those who want to watch contents geoblocked outside their countries -not necessarily only services targeting UK based users) and maybe (or maybe not) also for you.

Well, I think you'll find you are wrong about that.

Lusco wrote: The only "problem" of Surfeasy is that it works only with anonymous servers located mainly in the US and Canada

I do not believe that to be the case.

Where do you believe are their VPN servers mainly located and/or why do you think they are not anonymous?

Lusco wrote:

Where do you believe are their VPN servers mainly located and/or why do you think they are not anonymous?

Of course they are anonymous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are more than just US & Canada.

For what it's worth, I did a little bit of research and came up with this:

https://support.surfeasy.com/entries/23 … s-located-

"Where are the SurfEasy IP addresses located?

The SurfEasy IP addresses are located in the United States, United Kingdom, Singapore and Brazil and are optimized to ensure the best possible Internet browsing experience. We will be expanding the SurfEasy Private Network to include IP addresses in other countries around the world."

redmik wrote:
Lusco wrote:

Of course they are anonymous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are more than just US & Canada.

I have not said that there are no more than just US and Canada, I just said that their servers are MAINLY in the US and Canada.

Looks like you can actually select which location you want to appear to come from:

https://support.surfeasy.com/entries/23 … m-SurfEasy

toonarmy9752 wrote:
MikeInPoulton wrote:

Thanks guys

Cheers

Mike

i have that "service" already and have had it for 4 years

:D

No (ahem) surprises there toon ;) ........I think Redmik may have an interest for when he returns in June.

Mike

absolutely Mike -

pgl wrote:

Looks like you can actually select which location you want to appear to come from:

https://support.surfeasy.com/entries/23 … m-SurfEasy

Yes pgl, thank you.
Lusco: Sorry, got lost in the interpretation. :sleep:sleep

OMGoddess!!!  THANK YOU SOOO MUCH tearnet for turning me onto http://FilmOn.com  I LOVE IT!!!  Though it does not have the main U.S. network like USTVNow.com does - it's SOOOOO MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!

So far it's working well for me in Costa Rica!!!

Vicki Skinner (aka - the Sarong Goddess!!)

whoops!