Where to get a teaching degree (CELTA, EFL, TEFL) in Riyadh?

For anyone considering doing the CELTA; do bear in mind some schools (and countries) require at least 120 hours in the academy, the training to be certified by Cambridge, and will not accept online courses. Some do accept online courses but those that do are very much fewer.

There are many places in Europe where you can do the complete course and have a good holiday after. The course itself is extremely intensive and requires a lot of participation, studying and energy.

@ Full Monty, you are absolutely right.

Full Monty wrote:

For anyone considering doing the CELTA; do bear in mind some schools (and countries) require at least 120 hours in the academy, the training to be certified by Cambridge, and will not accept online courses. Some do accept online courses but those that do are very much fewer.

Your post is confusing; you mention CELTA but then go on about online certificates.  If you're referring to CELTA Course Online, it seems you're unaware this hybrid course is still through Cambridge and leads to the exact same certificate as the face-to-face CELTA course (see http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/).  I seriously doubt employers are going to start questioning whether an applicant completed his/her CELTA online or in person.  To do so would be an insult to Cambridge's long-standing reputation as well as potentially strained relations with the British Council.  Frankly, I don't see any employer going down that route.  Nor do they probably care about how the course was completed as long as the certificate bears the CELTA name.

Hi Rowa

Im looking into doing an online TEFL course.  Im a South African female and residing in Riyadh for 2yrs.  I have no teaching experience.  On completion of my course I wish to teach English to students in Riyadh.  I have never done an online course before so don't know the first thing about it.  Ive done a little research & with doing so came across 2 institutions and still deciding which one to do the online course with.  Also...have you heard of them, i-to-i and ITTT?  perhaps you can confirm whether they are recognised in the middle east and accredited.

onlinetefl.com/tefl-course/

teflcourse.net/

Any advices herein will be greatly appreciated.

hello friends, am from India living in Saudi Arabia (Jeddah).am doing my BA(english literature) final year by next month i will finish my exams so that i will be a graduate. i am interested in teaching field,could anyone tell which course i have to choose for teacher training? i am thinking to do B.ED but now i saw many course like CELTA , EFL , TEFL.... am confused which course to choose and in which university. i wanted to work in Jeddah as a teacher  ANYONE HELP ME,,any good advice about teaching course tell me here.....

As a teacher with almost 4 years experience, I've been considering taking a CELTA course to add on to my credentials. However, with such an expensive tag price 14,700SAR (13000 British Council + 1,700 Dar al Hikma fees (Jeddah)) I'm not sure if getting this degree will just over qualify me in a field that doesn't employ based on what you have (not all the time of course) but many schools only look at nationality and how well a person's English accent is. With average salaries for most English teachers ranging from 6,000-7,000 SAR, I'm wondering, is CELTA worth getting while living and teaching in Saudi Arabia? How important is this degree in this country? and will it really benefit me work wise? 14,700 is a big number and although I know this is an investment for me personally speaking, I don't want to be placed in a financial loss in the end. Can anyone advise please?

nosaf wrote:

As a teacher with almost 4 years experience, I've been considering taking a CELTA course to add on to my credentials. However, with such an expensive tag price 14,700SAR (13000 British Council + 1,700 Dar al Hikma fees (Jeddah)) I'm not sure if getting this degree will just over qualify me in a field that doesn't employ based on what you have (not all the time of course) but many schools only look at nationality and how well a person's English accent is. With average salaries for most English teachers ranging from 6,000-7,000 SAR, I'm wondering, is CELTA worth getting while living and teaching in Saudi Arabia? How important is this degree in this country? and will it really benefit me work wise? 14,700 is a big number and although I know this is an investment for me personally speaking, I don't want to be placed in a financial loss in the end. Can anyone advise please?

First things first.. A CELTA isn't a degree.

It's a teaching qualification, endorsed by Cambridge University.

I am aware of that. However I wasn't aware that I wrote degree until you mentioned it. So, thank you for pointing that out.  :)

hi,, currently am doing BA (english literature), by next month i will be a graduate, next am planning to do bachelor of education ie B.ED, but i have no experience in teaching, can i do B.ED  teaching experience will this help me to get a teaching job easily??

I was wondering if you had any idea if there was a place here in Riyadh that offers the TESOL course for women?!

Hello Tashriqah,

Sorry for this belated reply; the fact is that I just saw your message by pure coincidence. Let me tell you something,  here is Saudi Arabia are against online teaching certificates, however, online degrees are fully accredited in Europe and many other parts of the world. Here, in KSA, they ask for the Cambridge CELTA which the most reputable teacher qualification -according to employers-. I did two online courses through the ITTT, the one you mentioned, their courses are hard and demanding, but very useful , gripping and riveting at the same time. Also, they have what is called blended learning, i.e, you do some chapters or units online and then followed by on-site TP Teaching Practice in Phuket, Thailand.  I don't guarantee doing only the online phase of the course can secure employment. I suggest you do the Cambridge TKT (Teaching Knowledge Test) through the British Council school in Riyadh; this would boost your CV since you are considered a native English speaker for South Africa. Contact me for details.

I hope I helped a bit.

Rowa Douglas

HOW I CONTACT THIS CLASS

thank you soo much sir,,,,,

I am teacher n want career enhancement n want to migrate Australia....for that shall I go for Esl course...in Riyadh where it is available....n let me know all worth ful it is.

Sameena mubarak wrote:

I am teacher n want career enhancement n want to migrate Australia....for that shall I go for Esl course...in Riyadh where it is available....n let me know all worth ful it is.

Have you tried contacting this guy: https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php?id=525343

HI

I just came across your comments and I wanna now more about the CELTA course
Thanks

I want to enhance my qualification by getting CELTA course in Riyadh.

Please i want to attend the celta course as soon as posssible , i live in riyadh . Any recommendations please and if u can mention the fees and the starting dates i will be grateful:))

Hi nada

It's available at the British council, this link will give you all the details you need.

Cheers

https://www.britishcouncil.sa/en/teach/courses/celta

Rowa will there be a 4-week CELTA course in the summer.  I am trying to complete it to maybe get a better position.

may I know when ?? I have been trying to find TEFL or CELTA but they are not offered in the British council in Riadh *sigh*