Mellieha Primary School main language?

Hi again,

Just a quick question in regards to Mellieha primary school.

I wonder if any of you guys know in what language do they teach in that school, just Maltese or both, Maltese and English?

My son is only 4 years old and of course sooner or later he will have to learn the Maltese but as he understands a little bit of English, it would be easier for him starting in English.

Hope some one can give me some advice!

Cheerio, ;)
Antonio

Try here: http://mrcmelliehaprimary.wordpress.com/

The school's website I think.

Thanks for the link redmik but I have seen it before. It seems that the website has not been updated since 2010.
But as the website is only in English, might mean something :)

Cheerio,
Antonio

mantonas wrote:

Thanks for the link redmik but I have seen it before. It seems that the website has not been updated since 2010.

Cheerio,
Antonio

As recently as that! I am surprised :)

redmik wrote:
mantonas wrote:

Cheerio,
Antonio

As recently as that! I am surprised :)

:lol:

I phoned about 4 months ago to ask them about this. Main langage is Maltese. Will teach in English, but with the idea of the child eventually learning Maltese. As such it sounds like it might be exactly what you are looking for.

Hi ukmac,

Yes, everything has been sorted now! My son has been at this school for about a month, more or less, and he's very happy. The teachers are really nice over there and they do teach in English as well. Yeah, eventually he will have to learn the Maltese too :D

Thanks,
Antonio

Hi,
Our family is thinking about moving to Melliha.  We are English but live in France with our 6 yr old.  She was thrown into school at about the same age as yours and is now almost fluent.
My concern is that we might be putting her into the deep end again.  Even though we would love her to pick up the local lingo we are hoping English is pretty widespread.  Are there a lot of English speaking kids at the school?
Really I'm just looking for an opinion and really hope you might be able to help.
Thanks

Hi Amongstitall,

To be honest with you, that should not be a problem. At Mellieha school, there arequite a lot of foreigner kids and English it's spoken at all times. Even though the Maltese is the main language, the English has more or less the same importance as the Maltese. At least on year 1 where my on is at the moment, he's learning Maltese and English at the same time. From what I have noticed from my son's interaction with the other kids, they all talk to each others in English as 99% of them, speak English, specially from kinder 2 onwards. So, if your main worry it's about the English, don't be, your daughter will be fine! Kids get along really well and they also pick up any language much easier than us adults :) Best of luck!