Travelling to Ecuador mid April 2013 looking for advice.

My Name is Lori. 

My husband and I will be travelling to Ecuador in April and we are looking for some advice on places to visit.  Our trip involves a stop in Quito for 3 days and then we plan to head to the coast.  Monticristi, Canoa, Bahia Caraquez then down the coast to Salinas stopping at various towns along the beach.  From there we will go inland to Guayaquil and Cuenca before heading back to Quito to fly home.  We are on a scouting mission. We want to get an overview of the area, speak to some locals and get a feel for the safety and costs associated with mid length stays in some of the communities. The ultimate future plan is 1-6 month vacation to start and maybe Expat relocation if we find the place of our dreams.

Any suggestions you can offer on our travel to the various cities, hotel recomendations, or sites to see, safety issues, would be helpful. 

We are unsure as to whether we should rent a vehicle or travel by bus/taxi.  Is it safe to do a road trip as I have described above or should we just head to one or two locations within the country?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Best Regards
Lori

Hi Lori!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Lori,

Welcome to the blog. I am new as well.

I am currently living in Bahia and feel perfectly safe to be here on my own as my huband has had to return to Canada for a few months.I haven't done much travelling around Ecuador so can't give you much advice there, but we went to Mitad del Mundo Middle of the world ) and it was great. We took a city bus from down town Quito and found the locals to be very helpful with directions and bus transfer info.We didn't want to pay the taxi fare and found it a wonderful experience to take the bus.

The advice I would give you is to try not to look too much like a tourist.A bit of suntan ahead of time is a great idea so you don't burn and also so you won't look like a total gringo. Travel light. You don't need a lot of clothes, bring things that can be easily washed.Cuenca and Quito are cooler than the coast so a few long sleeved things will be handy there.

I've been here for eight months and haven't needed a sweater at all.

What would the place of your dreams look like? I've heard of a few places, perhaps I can make some suggestions.

Wishing you great trip.

Hi Lori,

If you stop by Cuenca I will be glad to meet you and talk about the city.

Let me know when you come or  if you need any help/advise before you get here.

Vinny

Hi Lori,

I live in Quito and would be happy to tell you all the sites I recommend seeing. 

*Teleferico
*Mitad del Mundo
*Centro Historico (this is a day in itself with all the sites)
*La Ronda (nighttime stroll through here is amazing followed by typical food dinner)
*The Haciendas
*La Mariscal Artesan Market and Plaza Foch
*Parque Metropolitano

Email me if you want to learn more I even know the perfect peaceful Hacienda you can stay in while you are here, they will take you wherever you need to go. 

Driving here can be stressful about 5 times scarier than Los Angeles.   

Email me Mike Bruner [email protected]

The Middle of the World Ecuador Travel and Living
www.themiddleoftheworld.com

Mermaid 57
Thanks for the advice.  We will be in Bahia April 22-24.  Can you recommend a Hotel, Beaches or Restaurants.  Are there specific sites we should see when we are there. Any Advice from a resident Gringo would be helpful. Do you have a contact email?

Thanks Viny,
I appreciate the offer.  do you havesome local contact information for me?
Best Regards
Lori

Thanks Mike,
Thanks for the Quito recommendations.  I will get in touch with you via your website.
Best Regards
Lori

Think you should visit Otavalo while staying in Quito. Also Mital de Mindo is worth the trip.  Once you leave you should head for Mindo a great place to stay then head to the coast.  The northern coast is great to explore then head south.  Traveling by bus is safe as long as you dont have to many bags. Here is my blog that should help you out. http://www.atruetalltale.wordpress.com

Thanks Luna2
Thanks for the advice.  I checked out your website - you have a knack with words and your true tales are very insightful.   Thanks
Lori

Lori,

Anytime.  I agree that Octavalo is worth a look(especially on Saturdays for the market)along with Ibarra.  I know a beautiful place to stay there and the town has a few great restaurants. 

mike
themiddleoftheworld.com

Thanks Mike,
I tried to email you but the message came back to me. Not sure of your email configuration.
Best Regards
Lori

Hello Lori,

Sorry, I don't understand your question. What kind of local contacts you need?

Vinny

Lori,

the website replaces the "@" with [at] which may be why you had problems. 

i sent you a private message with my email to avoid this.

Mike

Hi Lori,

My email: [email protected]

I'd be happy to get you the website for the hotel on the beach and restaurants, etc.There aren't many hotels here. A few hostals but I wouldn't recommend any of them.

Also, I am starting a walking tour of Bahia for absolute gringos.
It would be great if we could meet.

Hi Vinny,
If you are okay with us contacting you when we are on our trip your Phone, email would be helpful. Thanks again Vinnny
Best Regards
Lori

Lori,

I realized that putting my email on these forums is pointless.  I can help you get around Quito for the time you are here.
(moderated: no free ads please)

And fill out the contact info so I can reach out.  I have a hard time talking through Forums because I am usually on my phone not a computer.

Mike

Hi Vinny
We will be in Cuenca May 6 to May 8.
Is there a phone number or direct email I can reach you at.
Please let me know
Best Regards
Lori

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hello Lori,

I send you the info by private message.

Vinny

hello
     glad to hear that you thinking of ecuador as
as your destination would be glad to answer all
your questions feel free to email me at
[email protected] or you can call or text
me at 1347-520-3707 well have great day and hope
to hear or read from soon have a great day .sorry for the late
introductions my name is albert just short for al

Hi Lori,

Let me know if your still heading to Bahia de Caraquez. My wife runs a B&B here and I would be happy to show you around town.

Take care,

David

Hi David,  Sorry I did not get this before we left.  We had a great time in Bahia. It is a lovely town and the fact you can walk pretty much anywhere you want makes it all the better.
Thanks for offering to connect with us.
Best Regards
lori

Hi Al thanks for the offer.  Unfortunately I did not get this post before we left.  We had a great time in Ecuador.  Saw lots, did lots and met a lot of locals and expats from the coast and the mountains...it was a great trip.  I appreciate your offer to help...perhaps we can connect, when we go back.
Best Regards
Lori