Permesso di sogiorno

Hi everyone,

I am a second year phd student in Italy and I am going to the US as a visiting scholar from 1st september 2013 to 1st June 2014. My permesso di sogiorno will expire in January 2014 and I wonder what  I can do inorder not to be in trouble for entering Italy in June 2014. Does anyone know if it is possible that I apply for renewing my permesso di sogiorno before leaving Italy although it is about 6 months before the expiration? Or, is it possible that I apply for a multiple entry visa in italy before leaving? Or, I must apply for a visa for italy from the US?!Please let me know if you've had any experience of this kind.

Thank you.

The renewal of a permesso di soggiorno for study purposes should be done as final deadline within 30 days of expiration.
The law, however, does not prescribe any initial deadline, so I suggest you do so before your departure for the USA.
In any case, you can ask to the questura in rome.

ciao

Marco

Ciao Marco and thank you for the explanation. I'll ask the questura and it is a good news that there is no initial deadline!

I have A-4 size carta (permanent), which was issued 6 yrs 3 months ago.
Is it compulsory to surrender this permanent carta before 5 years from the date of its issue and get new ATM card size, which is valid for 5 years?