Single Woman looking to "retire"

I am a single woman (not yet 40) looking to check out South and Central America, with the possibility of staying long-term.

I'm currently researching Panama, Ecuador and Nicaragua... but am having a difficult time in trying to determine which!

I'm hoping that some might be able to shed some light and advise as to why Nicaragua might be a better fit, as opposed to the other areas I am looking at.

I definitely want to go somewhere that has a active and welcoming expat community, preferably with some younger folk too!

And Coastal/beach area would be my desire.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated! :)

First, I envy anyone that is retiring at under 40. I would have to write a book to explain everything about Nicaragua and essentially did at nicaragua-guide.com.

Amy and I considered the same countries as you and almost moved to Panama. Nicaragua is certainly the least developed of the three though Ecuador appears rougher in other ways. We picked Nicaragua over Panama because the people were much friendlier and there seemed to be more opportunities. Though retired, we are more active in our lives than ever before. Of course, Panama and Nicaragua are both much closer to the states if that matters.

Nicaragua is certainly not for everyone but after seven years we still enjoy it.

Regards

Darrell

Thank you so very much, Darrell.  Proximity to the US is not of importance to me... and it would appear that Nicaragua is actually the least expensive in flight prices!  So that's a plus!

I have been planning the same thing. I am 10 years older than yourself and on a limited income. It is Nica that I am looking at and when I was there the last time there seemed to be a very active English speaking community. The tourism community is just waiting to explode so if your looking for some income opportunities Nica would be the place I would choose.

Keep in touch and let me know what you decide I would be interested.  I am a single woman as well and finding it a little scary to make the move. But that has never stopped me before!

Hola,
Im Came back to my mother land 14 years ago from Houston Texas and when I first arrived in the airport it was a big impact of difference of developing ,but after living here those 14 years I have met the most freindly people in here and I starte working as a tour Guide and I have grow economically like my country is growing so its a excellent country to grow and to own a great place,but you have to bring a bag full of patient becuase thing here run on island time.
Let me know if you make your trip down here.

saludes
Gerald Duran
[email protected]

Hi,
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are and would like some advance as well. But everything I've read points to Nicaragua. I still need input from those that have experienced the country.
Thanks

Yes, I'm with you.  I am also on a limited income and looking at places.

I have lived in Panama five years and now Nicaragua for two. I have a lot to say on both. write me at dale.pues yahoo

I am a single women (57 young)who is trying to get a taste of the simpler life.  I have decided to move to Nicaragua but don't have a clue on what i should be doing first.  I don't have a lot of money but figure after selling my home and possession i could live for a little bit until i found someway to support my life. Is there anyone out there that is living in Nicaraqua who could share how to start the adventure.

Have you decided to move to Nica. And what news have you learned that needs to be done.  I am so excited and scared but so ready to make the move. Please keep in contact.

Hey there Ladies!
I'm heading down in October and staying for 6 months to 'test drive' Nica and visit different areas of the country while volunteering for some of the time and not for the rest of my time there.

I half suspect I will end up staying, as in coming back to Canada to get documents in order and going back full time. Of course nothing is yet set in stone. I've never visited C.A. before and I'd love to meet up with you to explore some of it.

I'm from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and just about to turn 40! This isn't so much of a midlife crisis as it is a realization that I want to live a certain kind of life style that doesn't involve being over taxed, over burdened (though I'm a self employed hard working gal so I'm pretty much always over burdened but in a good way;) and struggling to save up so I don't have to eat cat food when I'm 60.

I'm ready to make this change. If any of you are interested in joining forces, as it were, a little girl power, I'd love to meet up/team up.

And for those of you living in Nica already, the same goes. It would be great to get together for a drink, a meal or a few days to learn from your experience and get a little tour of your area. Feel free to email me
kitty.howard[at]icloud com (does anyone know why everyone does this with their email addresses?

Hope to hear from you!
~Kitty

I am wanting to retire and Nicaragua Equador look like the best places to me. I am like mtoro as I want a simpler life that is affordable and safe. My biggest concern is my 88 yo mother who lives with me. She is in excellent health but know it would be a big adjustment for her.
Anxious to learn more. Plan on coming down after Christmas to look around and find a place.

Hola,

There are two places where you will find expat and that is the colonial city just 40 min drive from the Capital which has a great Hospital call Vivian Pellas Granada and San Juan del Sur in the pacific coast.
But now I found out that the central region of Nicaragua is the future spot for the expat ,because the weather is cooler ,great humble people,abundant of fresh vegetables because that's where they grow most of them,and rent is very affordable.
Jinotega and Matagalpa is going to be like Monte Verde in Costa Rica where the Quaker settle down.
Ometepe Island is real beautiful but not much to do for your mom and in case of emergency is 3 hours before you hit the nearest hospital.
Leon is very hot.
I open to help you and look around if you come to Nicaragua.

saludes

Gerald Duran
Top guide REI ADventure 2010

Hi

I have a little money to invest and hopefully will find somewhere to live that will support a small Bed and Breakfast. My dream is to help kids learn to read and write that can't afford to go to school.

With luck I will make a scouting trip this fall to discover my options in Nica this October or November. You can contact me at heatherasargent at Hotmail dot com. Would love to hear from anyone with any suggestions about my dream.

All of those that wrote reply have good input...

Google the name ralph Hewitt Nicaragua and read all about what he and his wife have done.
10 years of enjoying the good life. Lots of single women live in San Juan del Sur.
[moderated: no free ads please]

[moderated: Expat.com is NOT a dating website]

Hello,

I just read your concerns and I totally understand. I am an American and I am also retired living in a small town called Pochomil (about 1 1/2 hrs from Managua). I believe I have some good news and perhaps some bad new. The bad news first, when I came to Nicaragua I had to sign a statement agreeing not to work while in Nicaragua. Just like most countries when you work you take a job away from a local.  You can apply for a different cedula (residency card ) that cost more but allows you to open a business. So that's the bad news and that is really not so bad because the wages here are really low. You basically work for nothing.  But to put it into perspective I am retired and live comfortable on my social security check. So its not as bad as you thing.

Some good news crime is very low, weather is perfect all year, people are friendly and the life style is very slow. But remember this is a 3rd. world country and its a poor country so you give up a lot of nice things to life a more simple life. 

My wife is from China and we live right on the beach. Frequently we get up early and walk up the beach about 10 min. to a town named Masachappa. Go early and meet the fishing boats returning with the catch of the day. Delicious and inexpensive. 

I am not pushing you or trying to sell you anything but I have a couple of cabanas in the back that I rent for $350 a month , You have the swimming pool and Jacuzzi and of course the ocean, Its quiet and safe.
If you just want to chat about Nicaragua or Pochomil please drop me an email at [email protected]

Best of luck in your Nicaraguan adventure,

Thanks,

Dan

Hi to all...

We have been in San Juan del Sur for 10 years... My wife Renda and her pack of Women (I call it) are something else. Always on the go and enjoying each others company. Some married but most single, they found a place to live on little (but very well) and enjoy life with others while doing it. From a growing group of young families to baby boomers this is where it is going on. email me off line if you want/need more info www.nicaralph@gmail.com
We would love to help others as many have helped us too.

Oh forgot to tell you what my good wife Renda always says... "YES it is dangerous here in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua, and that DANGER is you do NOT want to leave".

Hello to everyone in this blog!

I am also trying to decide if Nicaragua is my destination for retirement. I'm trying to decide between Nicaragua and Ecuador. I plan to visit each location at some point. Plus, I continue to seek out information via Expat.coms and reading, in general.

Then after that, it's time for me to go visit the location. Money is a huge factor of my worries, as I've been caregiving for my father for the past 6 years. He will be with me no matter where I decide to live.

Is there such a thing as an assisted living help in Nicaragua?

Many thanks to all of you! Take care during your travels......... LAN

Hi, just read your post from 2013.  How did your move work out?  I am 61 and a nurse, and my son and his family live in Managua.. I have realized that I simply cannot afford to retire in the US, as I have no savings and cannot  live on social security alone. My son says I can live nicely in Managua on ss and have some left over, plus would be near him and his famiiy..

Would sure appreciate any advice/help/etc you can provide. How did it work out for you? Where did you move to? Granada sounds awfully tempting, but the kids live in M.

Suzanne

Did you make the move to Nica? I'm 61 and want to move to Managua to be near my son and his family and mainly because I cannot afford to reitre in the US. I have no savings and would have to work till they cart me away to the old folks home if I stay here.  My son says I can live well in Nica for less than $1200 a month, what I will get from ss if I take it at 62.  My email addy is [email protected] and I sure do hope to hear from you. Would like all the advice and new friends I can find. Also I will have to move my dogs and cats there, any advice?

Suzanne

Hi Kitty: I am just a neighbour to you - I live in Burlington Ontario!!! currently getting house ready to sell in a few months and hoping to come down Jan/Feb/Mar 2015 to tour Nicaragua, hoping to find the spot that touches my heart. I am 59, retired and on a fixed income also. My son and his girlfriend is planning on moving with me if we can get this off the ground. They are hoping to open an B&B? I have just started surfing these sites looking for peoples input. Since your last blog July 2013 what has happened? How do you recommend a Canadian obtains a residency card? Once a resident can you come and go between countries freely? I would love to hear anything (all) that you have to give on this adventure. I am just not sure if leaving Canada 365 days a yr is right or just seasonal visitor would be best?
excited to hear from you, Deanna,

Hi Deana! Suzanne here in Austin Tx. Did you read my post? If you will email me, I will send you Linda's - 2Bears - email. She and her friend are in their 60's and just up and moved and she is very happy. She is a wealth of info and has been a huge help and sent me tons of info about costs, shipping possessions, bringiing pets, phones, navigating the buracrasy etc. also someone gave me the name of a woman who will Skype you for $25 and answer all your questions. Email me at [email protected] and don't give up the dream!   Suz

Hi!  Just found your post. Where did you decide to move to? I'm planning to move to Granada and would love to email and find out how you like it. I'm a bit older than you , 61, but have met a lot of single women either moved already or planning to and no one is regretting it. [email protected].   Suzanne

Another single older woman looking for semi-retirement but I have a 5 1/2 year old to join in the adventure. How is the village for the little princess?
If any one has any comments/observations on Nica being a good place for a child along with private school options, I'd Love to hear them!

I'm open to other places and finalizing research on the places to check out this week. So far, I've added Nicaragua and an area not far from Colombia to my list. Other Central/South American options would be great.

Near or on the beach, safety, internet availability and the English language being somewhat acceptable until I get Spanish down are all a must. 

Thanks for all of your posts! I might be flying out in a couple of days!

Hi. I live in Austin, and plan to move to Managua in the fall, my son and his family live there. He has lived in Nica for 6 years now and says he will never return to the states. He doesn't like Managua though. He loves the Carribean coast. His website about that part of the country is rightsideguide.com if that helps any.

My kids are grown so don' know about bringing a kid but I expect she would be fine. My stepgrandson goes to public school in Managua and his parents are happy with his education. His mother has a master's degree so she is not going to accept some half assed schooling. I know the kids go year round but have 2-3 week breaks every so often.  They recently had the schools closed for a month when they were having a lot of earthquakes in Managua. Kind of scary.

Feel free to keep in touch, my son says there are a lot nicer and cheaper places to live there than Managua. Most of the expats go to Granada or San Juan del Sur. Check out Expats of Granada on  facebook. Its a great, very helpful and friendly site. It has helped me a lot.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks so much for that information! Very helpful. I got excited to find a place that seems to have met most of my conditions. Still not sure about internet availability. However, I'm booking a flight out tomorrow to go check it out! If you are as ready as I am for a reprieve from the new Austin, you should join us!

I haven't explored the Caribbean side and will hope to in a moment. Any clues of areas there that is of interest? I looked at your brother's site and he and my 18 year old hostel staying, surfing son should meet up.
Thanks again. Look forward to talking further
Robin

Hi Robin,

Glad to hear from you and hope I helped a little. Be sure and google Nica Nuggets and that will be the weekly newsletter for Granada expats written by Darrell, and he has put together an incredible website of every single piece of information anyone could wonder about prior to moving to Nica, from the government, to bringing in pets, to working, to safety, where to shop, etc etc etc. Be sure and check it out or send me your email address and I will forward you this week's copy. Darrell Bushnell, that is the guy's name and he is kind of the major expat in Granada as far as keeping everyone in touch and active. I am wanting to move there myself, even though the kids live in Managua. I don't care about being in their backyard nor do I think a mother/mother in law should be and I think I would enjoy life in Granada, from everything I hear about it and talk to others that live there or plan to move there say about it. It is truly beautiful and not as large as Managua. The traffic in Managua is just awful and scary. Granada has about 100,000 people but it felt like a small town to me.

So you are booking a flight to Nica this week? Cool!!!!!  My son is at [email protected] if you need help while you are in Managua. I don't know his phone number.  He and I talked about my moving at length today via gmail videochat.  He was sitting in his hammock, at his desk, drinking a fresca and catching up with his mama.   His wife is a Nica native and has been an architect with the city for the past 10 years restoring and designing statues and buildings. Now they are working on starting a tour business so she can spend more time with the kids, they have a new baby and she has an older son too. Expats can't work legally there until they get their residency by the way. And it will take about 6 months of red tape and hassle to get it, but a residency is available. So Casey expects to have his residency in about another month then will resume building websites like his brother sometimes does here in Austin.

Living is crazy cheap there, even moreso out of Managua. Casey and his family don't have to pay rent but the living expenses for their family of 4 runs about $600 a month, plus the new cost of $20 a week for a 6 day a week housekeeper/cook. Most people don't have hot water or air conditioning, you don't really need it and I was there in July last summer. Electricity is cheap unless you run the ac, then I'm told it gets expensive. Taxis are $1-3.00 in Managua, $.50 in Bluefields.

So your son surfs? You be sure and tell him I'd love to get rid of my younger son's surfboard. Priced to sell! We lived across the bay from Galveston when they were growing up and Tanner surfed every afternoon after school.  Now I'm stuck with this surfboard. Guess I need to give it away on Craigslist. Casey doesn't surf but he sure loves the Caribbean coast and the Corn Islands. If you check out his website, do a little digging and go back into his archives from a year plus and that is when he was posting lots of funny and clever things. Be sure and look up The Barber of San Juan del Sur. That is his best yet and I think he should put all that stuff together and self publish it. But I'm just being a braggy mom so pay no attention to me.

Anyway do let me know when you plan to go, looks like it will be October for me, and get in touch with Darrell and/or Casey for better info.  And Expats of Granada, they won't let you down. I've made some super friends there.

Suzanne    [email protected]

PS   Just read your post again. Casey is my son, not my brother but I bet he and your son are a lot alike.  When Casey was 21, he dropped out of his 3rd year of college, packed up a backpack and took off to explore the world.  I kid you not, all he had was his backpack. It nearly killed me.  He lived in New Zealand for almost a year, somehow got some kind of student exchange thing even though he had left college, then lived in Australia for a year, then all over Europe, back to NZ, Cook Islands, just about everywhere. Came back to Texas for about 9 months but hated it, so he decided to go to Central America. Enrolled in a Spanish immersion school for 6 months in Guatemala then started doing volunteer work for BlueEnergy at Bluefields, Nicaragua and that lasted about 5 years. Finally met his wife via couchsurfing.com when he was looking for a place to spend the night in Managua on his way back from his brother's wedding here 2 years ago, Marcela offered her couch, they fell in love and a year later, they are married with a new baby and he has a 6 yr old stepson.  And, finally, after 15 years of my oldest son roaming the world and me never knowing where he was or how he was and only seeing him once every 2-3 years, he finally grew up, settled down, became a family man and now he and she want me to come and live either with them or nearby. Wow! What a long, strange trip it's been! (nods to Greatful Dead)

Anyway on the right side, check out the Corn Islands. Especially if you dive. San Juan del Sur is the 2nd largest expat community and it is a beach community on the Pacific side.

Enough for now. I expect you really didn't care about reading the history of my son anyway. But tell your kid about the surfboard..

Suzanne

Thanks again! I am now researching an off the beaten path cool place to stay on the beach near San Juan Del Sur. The surfer places look cool but I'm near 50 and won't likely fit in with the crowd. Need to get input. Eyes getting fogged over.

Just saw this post! Yes our sons should hook up! Sound a lot alike. He was off to back pack South America next but friend couldn't go, so he is willing to come along with me to explore a new place to call home. Hope to get some responses by email from these guys at Little Corn Island soon. Thanks for that recommendation! Suppose I should go to Bluefields or Pearl Lagoon during that 4 days as well? We want to dive a little and hang loose.
Appreciate you! Perhaps we should get together here in Austin if not in Nica.

Nica is the safest place in central America. After my first visit I knew I wanted to live there.

Hi all Nica lovers,

For anyone who is planning a longer stay in Nicaragua, and doesn't have much Spanish, I would strongly recommend hiring a local, English speaking guide/ companion/ helper, to travel with you and keep house for you. Doing so has taken such a load of anxiety off my shoulders, and now I can just relax and enjoy the ride.

I'm coming to Nicaragua on the 12th of Sep 2014 for a 6month stay, and will go first to Esteli where I'll meet my University educated guide. I'm paying her $200/ month (+ expenses) which is the equivalent of a public school teacher's salary and she's very happy with that.
Enjoy your trip!  :cheers:

kind regards
Goran Omar Bockman

Hi I am in the same boat. Not yet 40 , but need to change my life. I went last january to nicaragua an fell in love with the simplicity and realness of everything.  The people are wonderful and make you realize how we have lost sight of what is important in life.  Being Canadian, you do have to sacrifice a few luxuries, but after a few days you discover new luxuries.  Never been to Pnanama, but cost wise i think Nicaragua is very reasonable.  I am not going to go to february as i just sold my house so i have to tie loose ends up but then i am going to tour around and see where i want to settle.   good luck

OK so I was looking at relocating with my significant other but now looks as though I may be on my own.....is it doable and safe for a single, but worldly, female.

Speaking for the Granada area but seems true in all areas of Nicaragua, there is a significant number of single women in the expat community. Part of the reason is that a lot of former teachers and nurses seem to come down to push their pension further and to put their skills towards helping the community. For a while we sometimes would be the only couple at a dinner or function with the others being single women.

Yes! I am a Single woman that flew down last year with the intent of purchasing property and building a small hotel. I accomplished the purchase of the property and started a water tower. Selling my place here. I met many single women with the same intent safest country in Central America.

Hi
I'm not looking to retire merely relocate with 2 children to Nicuagua if it is suitable for my situation , I love nature and isolation , beach and animals i.e. Horses , I don't speak Spanish yet , should I learn ?
Please advise on good areas for schools yet close to rural envirement , I would like to purchase a 2 acre spot with a home with 3 bedrooms any suggestions and price guide lines ,I am not looking for a relationship just an amazing existence for me and my kids ?
Please help I don't know South America at all ,I just feel an urge for something interesting and friendly , with domestic help and horses , schools , I don't need to work but that would be nice as I am a top hair stylist .
Thanks

I think San Juan del Sur is your best bet.  Go their and rent for the first 6 months.  I liked it so much I built my condo and I am building 3 more to help me in my income. Look around and take your time.  If you see some place you like revisit it many times before you buy.  Nicaragua and San Juan will give you more value for your buck if you cut back on a/c and eat more native foods you will do well.  Good luck and keep us informed about your progress.

Terry

By all means, do not give a contractor money and leave. If you are going to build a home, be here when it is being built. GET A WRITTEN CONTRACT. Use your lawyer. One recommend by an expat that has used them. Don't buy the line I have a friend that can get it much cheaper. You will pay for this advice somewhere down the line.
There are many hair salons here and very cheap. There are private English speaking schools but they are not cheap. If you are looking for rural areas, the mountains in Nueva Segovia are nice and it is very inexpensive to live. The price of land  is much less. There are  many obstacles to overcome when you move here but if you have will power it can be done. Sometimes it will require a lot of compromise.