Single Woman looking to "retire"

I am a single woman (not yet 40) looking to check out South and Central America, with the possibility of staying long-term.

I'm currently researching Panama, Ecuador and Nicaragua... but am having a difficult time in trying to determine which!

I'm hoping that some might be able to shed some light and advise as to why Ecuador might be a better fit, as opposed to the other areas I am looking at.

I definitely want to go somewhere that has a active and welcoming expat community, preferably with some younger folk too!

And Coastal/beach area would be my desire.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated! :)

Hi carolinesqueaky. Ive been looking into some of the same places you have. I think that Ecuador may be the safest and most economicle for me. you might look into http://www.panamaforum.com/forum.php
After reading that panama forum I have seen a lot of rude expats that try to deter you from coming at all. You be the judge. I hope this helps a little. Just about everything Ive read here in the Ecuador forum seems to be helpful and there are a lot of nice people in Ecuador plus the locals seem to very happy people. I am hoping to find the place that is safe and with the least amount of prejudice...Good luck in your search..John

Thank you, John. 
I've also been reading at the other forums.  Why do you suppose it is, that some expats are doing this?  Is there not enough room for everyone?!

I have posed the same question in both of the other forums... Maybe a year out travelling to all three might be the way for me to go!

the negative posts seem to come from 3 guys in panama. I think they want to deter you from coming because americans came to costa rica from california of all places and drove the cost of everything out the roof. I dont think those guys have a pot or a window. I think they are fools to think thier posts can deter anyone. they dig up old crime reports that they copy and paste so you cant see the dates these things have actually happened.They post all day and night so they have nothing to do with thier pitiful lives. I am leaning towards ecuador myself for the prices and the coast.after I travel the country for a year or so I will have an idea where I want to settle after living for about 2 or 3 months at a time around the country.I would eventualy like to find a room mate to share expences and be an activaty friend. my 2 cents...John

I am here in Ecuador and I love it.  I really can't speak on the other two countries however because I haven't been there.

I am 32 years old and definitely not retired.

But you can feel free to email me any questions you have about Ecuador if you'd like.   I live in Quito so I am an Ecuadorian city slicker.

Mike
[email protected]
SITE: www.themiddleoftheworld.com
BLOG: www.themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com

have you looked at this. I think it gives you a good look at the countrys expats.
http://www.gringotree.com/cuenca/

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.  Have actually taken a gander at your blog, Mike!

HG, is that restricted to expats in the Cuenca region?  I really want to be on the Coast!

carolinesqueaky wrote:

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.  Have actually taken a gander at your blog, Mike!

HG, is that restricted to expats in the Cuenca region?  I really want to be on the Coast!

I'm a USCG LIC CAPTAIN where do you think i want to live?

email me  jpanos1948(at) yahoo.com

???

(moderated)

Glad to know you have read @Carolines.  My journey will be branching out of Quito soon.  I plan on hitting the coast either this weekend or next and I will be sure to write. 

I can't speak on the coast but Quito has a strong young Expat community.

As a single woman with three kids, I also considered different reasons when choosing Ecuador (instead of Nicaragua, Argentina, etc)than perhaps older retiree's do.  I also was lucky enough to have friends from Ecuador, Nicaragua, Argentina, Columbia, Venezuela, Chile, Peru, Panama, Honduras, Brasil and Mexico.  I weighed all their opinions as well as my own.  I have also traveled extensively and am multilingual so able to make

With three school age children, I looked at schools.  Check out the IB programs in the countries you are considering as these will allow them to go to any university when the time comes. 

I also looked at the ease of getting residency, as I want to live abroad for at least the next 15 years.  Cost of living was important to me as at my age, I have to make my savings last a lot LONGER than other EXPATS.

I considered the safety (individual cities vary) of where I was going. 

Another ntoe, although abortion is frowned upon in most latin american countries (as is divorce), it does happen.   Nicaragua is the most strict, not allowing for abortion even in the case of rape, incest or imminent/certain danger to life of mother.

Good Luck with your search!  I hope you find what you are looking for.

I live in Bahia and find this coastal city very friendly. There is quite a large expat community, mostly from the US and Canada.
we have expat dinners once a week and we go to different restaurants each time. It's a great way to meet the newcomers and experience the local quisine.
I would say that the majority are retirement age but there are younger singles and families with young children here as well.

I haven't checked out Panama or Nicaragua but am happy here and feel perfectly safe.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Hey John.. I just noticed your post from some time back. Are you traveling in Ecuador now?   There is certainly a lot of places to visit in Ecuador, but if you're coming to Cuenca, let me know.

Been here 6 months and I'm quite happy, although there are certainly pros and cons..  all depends on the person.

I had 8 months in Costa Rica years back, so I hit the ground running with Spanish.  This helps a lot.

Gary

What are the Pros n Cons u have experienced

We live in Cuenca.

My wife is from Panamá and just got back from here yearly visit to see her family in Puerto Armuelles.  She says that the cost of renting and food is more than here.  But the store are much better stocked.  Durable goods are cheaper - on par with the US.  Crime exists and she takes precautions but  like every place else.  Panamá is much smaller than Ecuador and really hot.  We too looked at Panamá and Argentina but finally decided on Cuenca as it best fit what we wanted.

Mike

i am from live inbarcelona spain now live in montañita ecuador with some expats from chicago, heard a lot of cuenca  will u guive me some tips of cuenca?
best regards