Purchasing Furniture and Household Appliances

Morning all, if I relocate to Jakarta, should I bring my furniture or buy locally?

If i were you, i'd rather buy it in jakarta. it might cost you a lot, moreover the furniture might not be fit into the room. the furniture here is quite cheap :)

Bringing that lot over would cost you a fortune and create a thousand problems with customs.
Sort of depends on how long you're here for and who is with you.
If alone for a year, a bed settee and a table will be enough.
A microwave is really handy for rewarming pizza.

i think you better just buy a new one here. the shipping would cost more than just buy a new one. the furniture here, specially the wooden one, have its own beauty. try to find the one from Jepara.

hey Mike,

you can relocate your furniture, i am working in forwarding company handling export, import, cargo project and also relocation.
opem my company sites : iolgroup.com

we can help you, thank you :)

mas fred wrote:

Bringing that lot over would cost you a fortune and create a thousand problems with customs.

not all correct mas Fred :) we working with system now :) and all operational getting better.

princess sandra wrote:
mas fred wrote:

not all correct mas Fred :) we working with system now :) and all operational getting better.

Perhaps you now the deal with customs and how to import but I don't and I'm pretty sure most others would.
If your company can supply the service at reasonable cost, it may be worth it for a long term expat.

However, it sort of depends on the needs of the person in question.
I family with a lot of expensive stuff may wish to bring it but that single dude would be far better with the bed settee and something to nuke his pizza with.