Tips to start a business in Bali !

I have plan to buy a land in bali and would like to build a bed and breakfast...but I heard if not a balinese it is hard to buy a land or to have a property in bali ...is it true?

what is the procedure?and where to start the business ( i mean where is the best area to do that )

Regards,

Hi Lina, welcome to Expat.com

regarding your post, it's depend on your nationality. as long as I know, if you hold Indonesian Nationality still, you would have problem to buy or rent or acquisition Land in Bali. otherwise, you have already being foreigners, you able to purchase property with your trusted family member ( sister, brother, parent and other) with your own strong power of attorney or notary deed. and if you would be comfort with no notary deed just with kinship wise, and the risk is in your hand. but it had better than using nominee. even with your best friend. we don't know what might happen in the future. right?

and about a location suitable to setup bed & breakfast, it depend on your market target. if for foreigners, it would be better in tourism area like Kuta, Seminyak, Jimbaran, Nusa Dua, Ubud or Sanur probalby. but if for local segment, Denpasar is reasonable choice i think.

Prosedure is simple, determine your plan first, take a survey, and due diligence of land or property you had chosen. and don't be easily trust any agent ( include me ) without facing frequently of negotiation to prevent any regret in the future.

"Just for sharing, and nothing to lose" I do also take Property brokerage in my side job. I will not be trust or serve any investor/buyer before I know about them much more. otherwise it will be just wasted my time.

well, that's the think I can share on this moment, hopefully it will be useful for you, and for everyone too who had the same case.

regards from Bali.

Komank Wirya

"...if you hold Indonesian Nationality still, you would have problem to buy or rent or acquisition Land in Bali. otherwise, you have already being foreigners,...."

I mean;  "You would have NO problem"

sorry for the mistyping which has high impact. :-)

best regards

Komank Wirya

Lina, according to your profile you are an Indonesian, and thus in Bali you have the legal right to own land (Hak Milik).  You do not need to be Balinese-Indonesian to buy land in Bali.

However, with that said, I know of several banjars in the Ubud area that try to encourage their locals to only sell their land whenever absolutely necessary, and if possible, only to Balinese within their banjar or regency.  The current movement here in Bali now is to lease only, even to other Indonesians. 

Rather than considering a brand new start up guest house or small hotel, you would be better off looking at available ones already built and for sale here on Bali.  Bali already has way more rooms than it needs, and many regencies are putting the breaks on new hotel, guest house, villas for rent development.

Hello, I am planning to visit Bali very soon, and would like to move there. Is it very hard to open a business, and what would be the start up capital required. I would like to open either a yoga studio, or a small retreat based hostel,or simply people trying to find themselves, and help them achieve their life purpose and success.

LinaTheHague wrote:

I have plan to buy a land in bali and would like to build a bed and breakfast...but I heard if not a balinese it is hard to buy a land or to have a property in bali ...is it true?

what is the procedure?and where to start the business ( i mean where is the best area to do that )

Regards,

As the foreigner, you can't buy land, instead just able to rent, and you can do it up to 25 years. But if you have an Indonesian family or friend, you can buy under their name, but for the future matter, you need to see a good notary for all the agreement between you and that person.

Bali is now crowded with business people. I had an acquaintance who bought land in Florest and build bed and breakfast there. From her explanation it works just fine, since not many people start business there yet, but now Flores has more accommodation requirement from divers, and i believe that place will have more people in future.