Problem getting health care card for pensioner

I am a pensioner living in Spain.

I am really worried I may have to return to England.  I bought land outside a village and built a house.  I was living in England during this time but coming out regularly for several weeks at a time.

I came out a few years ago and found a letter from the adjuntament requesting I register for my Padron. It was three months late but apart from that I was not living here permanently at the time.  The previous mayor had been replaced by a new mayor and he sent them out.

When I came out permanently I went to the town hall to obtain a Padron and was refused on the grounds I lived outside the village.  Apparently I was not the only one, I have met a dozen others in the same situation.

The local people are really friendly but this has really changed my opinion about living here for the rest of my life.  I am very upset.  Ironically the neighboring village used to have a mayor who disliked the British and would do what ever he could to prevent them obtaining permissions/permits.  There is now a new mayor there and a friend obtained a Padron in about 15 minutes.  The previous mayor in our village liked the British but the new one does not.  It just seems wrong that one individual can have this power.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a Padron without going through my local adjuntament.  Can I get one from a regional office or any other way.  Without it I cannot get a medical card and as a pensioner I am entitled to free/assisted health care.  I have already had cancer and I cannot afford to risk having to pay for health care for the rest of my life.

thank you for your help.

Hello campogirl.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

That is not legal,
which part o Spain
I you own the property they can not refuse
if you rent and have a contract they can not refuse
if you work you are OK
pensioner cool
do not let bureaucracy take the high ground, we live n a country with a fight-able bullshit 

good vibes
give me a shout..ill try

Hi Scotishjohn

I live in the southern part of Catalonia.  The village is Ginestar, nearest town Mora D'Ebra.

We have a house but it is built on the Campo outside the built up village boundary, and that is his reason for refusing the Padron.  I did contact an online (Spanish) solicitor who said he had the right to refuse.  But as an EU citizen I can't see how.  As you say he is refusing a legal right just by refusing the padron.  They do however think it right to charge local rates! And they allow us to have a burning permit.

Would you know if I could use an EU registration in lieu of a padron?  I have read that I should apply for one but had not heard of it before.  Do you know if it is for non EU citizens>

Thanks a lot for your help.

Campogirl

Go to the town hall Ombudsman with your burning permit and
your nie number and passport make an official complaint,he has to take it up
Never heard of eu registration
Being a pensioner gives you automatic rights for all things medical
so do not let petty bureaucracy stop you
I done the padron when it was a form 6 Pages long in 87
and have refused to do another one
But i have a friend looking into if for you
be cool and never get stressed at the town hall i all-ways take a book and flask and sandwiches it soon gets attention

good luck

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/s … -card.html

Thanks for the info.

I will wait to hear if your friend can help.  My husband will soon be 65 so may as well take two flasks in to the adjuntament, as he will have the same problem.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Dorothy

Hi,
my friend has suggested you go to the main town Mora D'Ebra.
town hall and make inquires. As it is normally the main town you do the Padron good luck
john

Thanks John

I had wondered about that but will go there as your friend suggests. The office to get the health card is in Mora ayway.

Thanks again

Dorothy

Hi
Me again, I accidentally erased your number so my contact is a week late. Please ring me on 683615141. I am in the process of getting a medical card - I think without a problem - and I have my empadronamiento. Happy to link up and talk about it.  Sorry about the delay! Ros

Hi.   I've been asking around re your problem and understand its because Ginestar doesn't allow anyone to live on those plots on a permanant basis so they are trying to discourage you. It is actually illegal to refuse an empadronamiento to anyone - (even if they are illegal).  I spoke to someone else who also lives there in a mobile home and she told me that it was possible to do it in Tivissa Town Hall. I did mine in Tivissa but I live in the area of Tivissa. You need to take docs including escritura with you. It takes about a week.     For the medical card you have to go to Mora Social Security (having first made an appointment by speaking with a machine on the phone).  If you need help making the appointment or finding the SS office please ring me. I'm happy to take you.   I have actually called in to a mobile home where I thought you lived around 10 times but when I finally found someone in it was the wrong one so I don't know where you are!!
Ros

:unsure  The idea that one person can have the power over whether another can have free healthcare when living in Spain as a pensioner has alarmed me.  I wanted to retire permanently to Spain in stages and only have one home which I would have to sell to buy another in Spain.  I am going to raise the issue with a friend and some Spanish people who are living in my area.  They are lovely people and I think would be shocked to learn of your plight.  I hope you won't mind me alerting others to this issues.  Good luck, it just goes to show I need to take care to register in an area where I am accepted.

I should have updated sooner, so sorry. 

We eventually after several attempts at the town hall got our padrons.  I was speaking to the former mayor and he marched us down to the adjuntament, but the new mayor still refused.  The old mayor then signed to say we lived at his house and we got our padrons using his address.  If you rent apparently, the house owner has to sign to say you are the tenant.  We were very grateful to him.  The crazy thing was that the mayor knew we did not live in the old mayor's house but signed the padrons.

If anyone else has a problem, it may pay to find someone who is willing to sign to say you are renting part or all of  their property.

Fortunately he is due for election this year, and the rumour is, he is not standing.  Hopefully the new mayor will be more amenable to Brits.

I should have updated sooner, so sorry. 

We eventually after several attempts at the town hall got our padrons.  I was speaking to the former mayor and he marched us down to the adjuntament, but the new mayor still refused.  The old mayor then signed to say we lived at his house and we got our padrons using his address.  If you rent apparently, the house owner has to sign to say you are the tenant.  We were very grateful to him.  The crazy thing was that the mayor knew we did not live in the old mayor's house but signed the padrons.

If anyone else has a problem, it may pay to find someone who is willing to sign to say you are renting part or all of  their property.

Fortunately he is due for election this year, and the rumour is, he is not standing.  Hopefully the new mayor will be more amenable to Brits.