Possible move to Enugu

Hi all, I am considering a move to Enugu for work. I am British and have worked before in Egypt, can anyone advise on what  Enugu is like. How safe it is, what there is to do, can you move round the city ok etc etc. I am over 50 and will be living there on my own.
Any comments would be welcome.

I registered on this site just to answer your question (I come from Enugu):)

Enugu is a quaint, sleepy city with less hustle and bustle than the more cosmopolitan Lagos or the more bureaucratic Abuja; it's also much safer than either Lagos or the Niger-Delta, though you'd still have to be extremely cautious while moving around. I don't have any stats for crime rates, but I've heard stories of crime in Enugu. It's best to be careful who you interact with and to not go out alone or at night (until you've settled in fairly well, at least).

I think you can move around alone once you've acclimatized to the city and know your way around quite well.

As for things to do in Enugu, there aren't as many options as there would be in a bigger city. I know an indoor mall just opened up in Enugu but it's still growing. The mall also features a Shoprite (South African chain grocery store) so comfort shopping is a lot easier now. I'm not an expat so I don't know where expats hang out but there may be sports clubs and other such places around.

Overall, if the job is a good one and you like a fairly relaxed and quiet place then Enugu might be good for you. Parts of the city can be dusty, but that's a hassle you may quickly overcome if you grow to love it.

I hope you get more responses. :)

Hi, thanks for your response and comments. It sounds as if it will be ok, but as you say it will take time to get used to.
Not sure  if I will be moving yet, but this information helps me build a picture of what life might be like.
Thanks again for answering.

My wife is from Enugu and I've visited many times.

As Madison tells, it's a bit of a dusty, sleepy, provincial city with not much to do in your free time. On the plus side, it's a lot safer (in terms of security) than Lagos.

Thanks for info.
Any good tennis clubs in the area?