Looking for help finding a place to rent.

I travel down to Costa Rica very often and I am thinking about making a more permanent move. I would really aprreciate anyone that could give me any valuable knowledge that they might have. I currently work for a drilling company off the coast of Africa. I would love to find a place that I could either rent for a year or maybe just rent monthly since I will only be there every other month. Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh yea, I am looking for anything on the west coast. Preferably either something close to the beach or something where I can look out and see the monkey and birds. Thank you.

I live on the southern end of Nicoya peninsula. It is the dry season now and things are rather crispy but there is a lot of wildlife and many beautiful beaches. Further north it gets even drier this time of year but there are many places to fly in to. The Osa peninsula is much greener and has much more rain fall. It's rather remote but rumor has it, they are putting in a new airport soon. Between these places is Domincal, which is a nice balance of both. It is still pretty far from San Jose but it has everything you are looking for. Stay away from Jaco, unless you are into drugs and prostitution. I always warn people about water here. You either have too much or not enough. And that lovely casita on the hill top you rented for the year suddenly has the road wash out in the rainy season! Have a critical eye for what some intense rain can do to where you want to live. Since you will live here sporadically, keep an eye on how you will secure your property when you are away too.  There really is no comprehensive site that would allow you to view the various rental properties in these areas, but many friends I have talked to recommended Airbnb. You really just have to put in a lot of man-hours to find what you.
Good Luck!

thanks for the info. I have been to domincal and I liked it. I have spent some time in manual antonio also. These are really the only two spots that I have visited so far. I know I will need to put in some hours locally to find a decent place. Also, I am planning on looking during the rainy season so that I dont get any surprises. Thanks again for the help.

There is a lot round where I live worth a good look. The rainy season can be particularly tough here because few roads are paved. Right now many are battling dust, but if you come in the rainy season, many roads are impassable. Just keep that in mind if you want to explore this area more. Since you never mentioned a budget, I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but you can certainly go from simple Tico style homes, to lifestyles-of-the-rich-and-famous. If you are thinking more along the lines of spoiling yourself, check out Punta Islita, Playa Carrillo, and Samara areas. The road is paved from Nicoya, there is an airport in Islita and the beaches are stunning.

Hello Daniel, I have nice accomodations available in my home in Alajuela, close to airport SJO, private full bath/shower, hot water, furnished...if you are hungry can set extra plate. I am looking for healthy minded individual. Have lived here 6 years. Very convenient to most everything and nice quiet neighborhood, good reliable bus service. Email me for details and can send on photos, etc. thanks laura

Laura
Please send me any info and pictures that you have. I am very interested. My emaikl address is [email protected]. I would like to plan a trip to go down in June to go and start looking for places. This would be a great for me because I work on an oil drilling rig off the coast of Angola Africa. I work one month and then I get one month off. I am looking to relocate and this would be great because I would like to rent it long term and since it is your home, someone will be there when I am gone so this would be great. Please send me any info

My husband and I moved to Jaco last November and can report that the reputation for drugs and prostitution is very over rated.  From what we understand by talking to others who have been there several years, the problems did exist 5 or so years ago but has been cleaned up.  Of course, if you are looking, you could still find both ... but Jaco is a very safe city and we feel very safe walking at night to dinner or for drinks with friends.

[Moderated]

(Moderated: please post in the Housing section)

Looking for a place in jaco area.I'm single retired and just looking for a place to chill till I die.had enough of the hustle of america and want to break away. I have been to costa rica many times.moving in with a family would be fine.i'm quiet and honest. H.D. :)…i'm 65 and would consider sharing a condo watching an estate in a house keeper apartment.

I'd even share a condo.

May be best to book a few nights accommodation then look in person, for a rental.

Hi,

I know what you mean about working in Africa.  I had a very nice couple who rented one of my houses for a year.  They had to leave the Congo urgently.  They were working in the mining industry.

Montezuma is a very nice area.  We have lots of rivers, beautiful beaches, some mountains and everything you might need in the little village of Cobano.

When I came to Costa Rica in 1988, I traveled all over this beautiful country.  But every time I was taking the ferry and arriving in the peninsula, it just felt like home.  So I finally made the move and installed myself in Montezuma.  I`ve been here since then.

Someone mentioned about renting for a short period and decide after.  I think it`s a good idea to try it first. 

Good luck and have a great day!  Gini

l

I can vouch for the Montezuma area being nice. I lived there for about 5-6 months. It too at least used to have a reputation of being a "drug center" but the drugs were mostly marijuana from what I heard (thus the nickname "Monte-fuma" (weed smoke) ... But when I was there I saw little of it. It's like anything, it depends on the circles you run in. Here in the USA you can live in towns where meth and heroin etc are all the rage but you are largely not affected by it if you don't travel in those circles or frequent certain neighborhoods.

The one problem with Montezuma is that it's very far from any decent sized city so good veges and stuff is not always cheap or even available and you have few sources for any specialty items you want. If you can get them there you'll pay through the nose. I used to go back to San Jose once every month or two to buy some specialty items I wanted, and just for a change of scenery.

That said, Montezuma has great restaurants, a beautiful beach and is a great area to live if you enjoy the beach!

There are (or at least were when I was there) many monkeys and much wildlife there. The best way to find a good deal on a rental though is to go there and ask around. I found an excellent deal there by doing that. (This goes for any area in Costa Rica. You may get a deal by asking in forums this way but you may also find great deals by just spending a week or two in an area asking around, looking on bulletin boards in stores, etc.)

[Moderated: maybe do your recommendation in our business directory pls]

Hello, I am planning my 90 day trip to CR in march 2024. I am looking for a long term rental prefferably in a guest house. I am 50 years old I dont party but will have a couple glasses off wine. I will be traveling with my two dogs who are very well-behaved. Registered service dogs However, I do bring their crate (I crate them durning maid service now)as I am open to  sharing a condominium also. I prefer more of a jungle type of a location as to be immediately on the beach. I would like to be near the beach and close to trails if possible. I am a very sociable, considerate girl, who loves good restaurants, great food, and amazing people, if there is anyone that thinks their situation would mesh well with mine or know of someone please email me. ***I am just in the infancy of planning my move there. Thank you so much for your time in reading this post and I hope to hear from you soon!  ps. ideally someone who is a veteran ex Pat individual or couple would take me under their wing and show me the ropes providing me a beautiful guest house to stay in of theirs  My budget is up to 2000 a month.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Kimdhancock

Hello and welcome on board !

Please note that this an old outdated thread from 2013.

I would suggest that you have a look at the Guesthouse registered in the Business directory and feel free to send them a message : Guesthouses in Costa Rica

You may also create a "looking for" advert in the Housing in Costa Rica section of the website to receive some offers.

All the best

Bhavna

Thank you yes, I noticed the post were very old, but just kind of looking around and didn't know if anybody was still manning that thread or not thank you for your time. I appreciate your reply.