Moving to Erbil (Urgent help needed)

Dear All,

I am considering a job offer in Erbil and I wanted some information about:

1- Cost of living in general (Daily life expenses) Transportation,Food , hanging out !

2-how much will it cost me to rent a furnished flat in a nice neighborhood .

3- safety ( although i got some information that it is a safe place)

really appreciate quick replies!

thank you guys

Hello Mahmoud_.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, do not hesitate to read the other threads on Cost of living in Iraq.

Thank you,
Aurélie

hi all i will leave to erbil soon i would like to know is it safe for female are they treat females good
also i would like to know how much does it cost to live there if my job offers me residence

Hi Egydoctor ,

well , I have received couple of answers from friends about safety , and yes it is considered safe compared to other parts in Iraq,

Regarding cost of living , I guess you have to earn more than $4000

to live in a good standard of living and have some savings (I guess) I am Moving from Egypt to Erbil So soon Incha2 Allah , and these are the answers i got from couple of friends there ! , contact me if you need any other info ,

and i will need some one to provide us with some extra info lol!

thank u so much mahmoud

thx mahmoud my offer is 4000 and they will give me an apartment also car to go from and to work me too i will leave to there soon but i want to know is this offer good?

If they offer Accomodation and transportation , then go for it :) , bas this is if you are travelling without family !

best of luck :)

look at me! , I am the one who was asking for help in this post! now I am giving advices lol!

many thx

You're welcome , I guess you will land there before me , will be waiting for your feedback!

HI,

I have been living and working in Erbil for almost 3 years. Hope this info is useful.

Erbil is a safe place, although, women should be more careful. Never get in a cab by yourself, find someone whom you trust and always use that person as your taxi driver.

I have 2 names I can give you, one speaks great English, the other only Arabic/Kurdish. There have been so many cases of women being touched or hassled by taxi drivers.

Erbil is a bit low key, there are more restaurants, coffee shops, and bars with expats and locals (some locals) popping up more and more but still not a huge social place. Lots of people end up having gatherings at their homes or on the compound or in one of the expat communities. The Royal Mall now has a movie theater.

The Carrefour and City Center at Majidi mall have basically everything you need. There is a grocery at Royal Mall now too. Lots of western food. So many amazing veggies and fruits sold along the street in all the neighborhoods.

-Girls bring tampons. I always stock up when I am in a country that sells them. Some times you can find them, most times you cannot.

Many expats live in Ankawa, the Christian area, so many places to eat, drink coffee, hang out e at different bars, etc. I dont know the rent but i am sure you can find sharing  for 500-600 and single for 1000$ or so.

W,I,N,E on FB is a women of Erbil page but if you ahve any questions, even men... such as housing someone may be able to help you. If you are woman and moving to Erbil, join this site, very helpful.

I hope i answered some of the questions that the men and women on this blog posted. feel free to email and ask me some more.

Enjoy your stay in Erbil.
Lili

Hello everyone
am considering moving to erbil, i will need any help honestly.

will be there to research the market. i need to know where is the best city to start with, rent a medium appartment and a car for several monthes, anybody knows the cost ??

ur help is much appreciated!

[Moderated: send details via a pm pls]