Safest areas

What are the safest places in Costa Rica?  Is it outside the Central Valley?  Are small towns safer than bigger towns?  What about some of the wealthier San Jose suburbs? 
I had been looking quite a bit at Heredia with interest, but then I read a lot about the crime there and got discouraged.  Please help.  Thanks.

Crime is certainly an issue here and it seems to be getting worse, with no real end in sight. A lot of the crime is targeted towards expats but it also has to do with the lifestyle you lead. There are two options: Sink tons of money into reliable security or live so simply that you are not seen as a target. The size of the town has less to do with crime and more to do with the population of expats. The judicial system is incompetent and will not be of any true assistance if you need them. It's not easy living here. Paradise has its price. You may want to look into Panama since they have a tendency to be more exigent with crime enforcement.
Good Luck!

Hi,
We have been living in the mountains south of the Central Valley, in Aserrí for almost two years now and we feel quite safe! My husband works his US job from home and runs our small farm, so he rarely leaves the property with me. I am the more interactive one, carting our two daughters all around the central valley for school and activities by my self, and I never worry. We love it here.
I believe ones safety is largely dependant on your life style. The news is filled with crime here as well as in the US, but if you are not involved in drugs, gangs or the sex trade, you are not making yourself a target.
I frequently shop in downtown San Jose with friends, the kids or alone. As I would in any city I dress modestly, have my purse strapped across my body and never pull out a map. People are friendly here and will help you find what you need.

I hope this helps!

Aserri is a lovely place and I agree with alot you have said, but the majority of crime I have seen happen to the people I know has nothing to do with drugs, gangs or sex. It is mainly fraud (land, business, even immigration), extortion (Ticos asking for money in return for them not suing you over CAJA or worker comp) and advantageous crime (car break ins, purse snatching, home break-ins while away). I fully agree about not making yourself a target, but these crimes have more to do with people's ignorance of the law and imposing expat standards on an immigrant lifestyle, than engaging in risky behavior. Unfortunately, I have known good people who have had violent encounters and they were very specifically targeted because of their (perceived) wealth, perpetrators were identified, and the OIJ did nothing. The fact of the matter is, if something does happen, there is very little recourse. Not to mention you will see the person who violated you to continue walking freely down the street.

I agree with much of what you said, too. I was answering from the point of view of personal safety and violent crimes. Con-artists and oportunists do abound and the ignorant expat is an easy target.