Looking for English Books

I'm looking for any stores that might sell English books, preferably second hand since I like the old stuff mostly and don't want to spend much. Otherwise, any of you have any old Sci Fi books you want to swop maybe? Or that I can buy off you? I'm looking for the classics - Isaac Asimov, Ursula K Le Guin, Robert Heinlein, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark

Unlike some other places it's probably easier to find new books rather than second hand ones on Réunion.
The only second hand bookshop I know personally is La Bouquinerie, 5 rue Laferriere, St Denis (although I think there are two others in St Pierre and perhaps another one rue Felix Guyon in St Denis). It has a small selection of books in English, but you'd have to see for yourself if they have any sci-fi books - and be warned, prices there are not much cheaper than new. The other solution would be 'brocantes' (jumble sales/car boot sales) but you're unlikely to find books in English IMO. Most of the bigger bookshops (Agora, L'Entrepot, Librarie Gerard) have a very limited choice of books in English - again you'd have to see for yourself if they have anything that would interest you.

You have two other possibilities:
- a book swap website for used books like www.bookmooch.com (I use it often to get hold of books I can't find elsewhere or that I don't want to buy new);
- if you want to buy new books use the website bookdepository.co.uk as it doesn't charge for delivery to Réunion.

HTH.

There is at least one second hand bookshop in Saint Pierre that has a small selection of English second hand books in Terre Sainte.  I can't recall the name but if you are down in Saint Pierre let me know I'll give you directions.  I don't have many hard copy books here I'm afraid, I went digital for the move here.

Regards

Stephen

All Right! Thanks guys. I'm going to go to La Bouquinerie this afternoon. I saw a bookstore actually on the road that runs past the beach of St Pierre when I was last there, just to the left of the harbor after the bridge at that little circle. I think the storefront was blue? Dont know when I'll next head through there but I'll ask you for directions then Stephen.

I'll also check out book mooch but I don't have many books to swop and they are all in terrible, terrible, terrible condition. Most are taped together at this point.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone else finds stores or has some Asimov or Sci Fi to trade please let me know.

What about an iPad ? you can find lots of free books and it' s lighter ! :P
I have 300 ( french) books on mine and still the same weight

regards

Thierry

you can also spend a week end in Mauritius and buy books there ...