Does anyone here live in Cali?

Hi,

I just joined the community. I notice that the majority of expats in Colombia live in Medellin or Bogota.

Does anyone here live in Cali? If so, introduce yourself! :D

I'm Steph, from Ireland, currently living in Cali, Colombia with my Colombian boyfriend. I left Ireland over a year ago for a 'six month backpacking trip around South America'...that turned out to be 4 months backpacking around Colombia, then 6 months in Mexico and then back to Colombia where I have been ever since!

:)

Hello Steph.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hi Steph!

I live in Cali!

Good to know you are here too.

LetŽs keep in touch.

Carolina.

Hi! I will be moving to Cali in May to be with my bofriend and would love to meet friends! :)

Hi Carolina and Lucia! Thanks for responding everyone!

Yay! I am also here because of my Caleño boyfriend! jaja

I'll be in Cali until August or later! :)

Hi Carolina,

My name is Sallie.

My hubby is Caleno! I am Australian and we live in Australia at the moment. However, we are thinking of a move to Colombia at some point during the year. I am unsure whether or not we will live in Barranquilla or Bogota yet, but would love to stay in touch nevertheless....we will be visiting Cali often.

My email is [email protected] if you would like to stay in touch.

Cheers,
Sal :)

Hello Sallie,

This very cool!! Well, Barranquilla and Bogotá are really different, just the weather is exactly the opposite!

Of course IŽd love to keep in touch with you. If you need any help, let me know.

Speak soon ;)

Hi Steph from Ireland. I'm from the U.S. and moved to Cali in September 2008.

Hi Steph,

New here on the site as well but living in Cali and have lived in other parts of Colombia as well.

I am from Los Angeles California. I speak English and Spanish.  Feel free to say hello!

Hi, do you still live in Cali?
I'm Mexican, and I have been here for 4 months working, but I haven't had the opportunity to make many friends and I would to meet people outside of work.

Cheers

hi wiilern im robert ,i live in houston tx.do you plan on staying in cali?  i teach english to a student there, a very nice young lady from a good family. platonic not romantic! i am also learning spanish from her,she is 28,if you plan to live in cali she may be a nice friend for you there. if not well this is irrelevant!! i would also like to be able to email you thru this site from time to time with some questions i may have about cali,i semi retired an amatuer lyricist still trying to write my one hit wonder!! among other things i am also interested in international affairs and economics. so hope to hear from you take care gringo lol

Hi : ) I just joined the site and am looking to meet new people here in Cali. I moved here with my husband in July and I am having a hard time meeting new people because my spanish isn't that great. Are you still living here in cali?

Hi @TanseyE you definitely want to get your Spanish lessons on here. I am from the USA as well but I speak both languages and I see it is necessary here as it isn't a city full of tourism like Bogota or Medellin.

Hi. I just moved here with my husband. Are you enjoying living in Cali

Im an Aussie living in Cali with my Colombian Girlfriend

Hi all! Brand new to the forum and to Cali, I moved here last week from Huntington Beach, California. Would love to meet some new friends in my new home!

Great! that you are  in Cali now tel us more about it please, by the way...  I think will be easy to make new friends people are wonderfull there

Best regards

Hi to everyone reading this thread. I'm from Houston, TX, retired and living in the south of Cali in Barrio Prados del Limonar. Been here just over eight years. I met one American just after my arrival when I rented a temporary place to live and I bumped into a man from Germany about two years ago at the Burger King in Jardin Plaza. Other than that I never met a single person who was not Colombian. I don't know where the expats hang out but it's not in the few places I go. I've thought about moving to Medellin primarily because there seems to be a large, thriving, friendly bunch of expats and working foreign nationals living there.

Cali I think there seems to be quite a few of us, but just spread out across the city. Perhaps we can organize a meet-up or something!

A meetup would be fine. I don't drink and avoid bars due to smoking. I'm not a prude it's just that after 40+ years of smoking, bars, etc. and a heart attack I gave all that up. Regardless I would welcome a chance to meet fellow travelers.

Hello
I am visiting Cali and would like to meet other Americans here.
Thanks ahead,
Susie

Hi Susie. I'm American from near Houston, TX. You can see from the conversation dates that this forum is not very active. Disappointing. I'd be happy to chat with you and if you wish to meet in person. I miss having someone to talk to who speaks American.  :)
Feel free to email me at ***

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

It's unfortunate that the forum isn't that active.  I drop in every few days to see what is new and read what is happening.

I am fairly recent in Cali...  I first came in October and November, returned in early January until almost the end of March.  I am currently in the process of applying for my TP-10 visa and hopefully will have that before I leave.

I will be returning to Cali in April or early May - permanently.  It would be great to hear from other Canadians (in particular) or anyone else who is currently in Cali.

KCM

Happy to meet a fellow traveler. I'm not Canadian but maybe a Texan will do. I've been in Cali since 2008. Almost a Colombian if only my Colombian Spanish weren't so bad. Actually all my Spanish is bad. So many words and when/how to use them in context. English seems so simple in comparison.

Man I know the forum isn't active, place is keeping me CRAZY busy but I am still here livin life in Cali!

I am Colombian born, but American raised. I see Americans every once in a while and enjoy having a good conversation. A meet up should be planned! I am from Washington State.

Did you say meetup, Gurrego?

Half a dozen different folks have posted on this thread since late 2016.  That could be a start.

Pick a time and place where Expats would feel comfortable going on a weekday evening or whenever .. and send out invites via PM messaging through this site.

cccmedia

Hello!  I just moved from Chicago to Cali three weeks ago and would love to meet up with anyone for a coffee or to explore the city.  I moved here with my husband who is Colombian for his job and while I love being at home with my baby, I need some adult time, too!  If anyone is interested in meeting up, please message me.  Hope everyone is having a great day!

Best,
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Welcome. I've been investigating setting up meetings for expats in Cali. I was going to create what expat.com calls an event so people get some sort of notice about these things. I will be happy to meet with you in such a setting or individually. I met last Saturday with a member in Unicentro and we had quite an enjoyable time being with another native English speaker. We could do the same if you wish. Meeting in a public place is best until people get to know each other.

Send me a message if you're interested.

Regards,
Raymond

Will do, thank you!  I, too, would love to setup a casual event for other Cali expats to meet 'n' greet.  I am checking out the museum tomorrow to see if they have any upcoming events we could all maybe attend.

I use What'sapp, how about you.  Facebook? Friend me there if you prefer. ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal details on a public forum for your own security
MissExpatCali wrote:

I, too, would love to setup a casual event for other Cali expats to meet 'n' greet.  I am checking out the museum tomorrow to see if they have any upcoming events we could all maybe attend.

The best location for a first meetup in Cali may not be a museum event which by its nature would dilute the participation of expat.com members.

Based on my experience with (now-defunct) South American Explorers and with the Inter------- group, I suggest a clubhouse or restaurant/cantina that is conducive to Expat shared interests, especially a venue where loud music is not present for the first two hours.

cccmedia

I agree. I met with one member from here last week in the food court in Unicentro. That worked out well.

Hi
I'm from the UK and live in Cali with my Colombian wife, so please include me in any invitation to meet up!
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark. In fact I'm trying to arrange a meetup most likely for a date around July 21st. Cali is such a large city and people are scattered all around so finding a convenient, centrally located place where people can sit down for an hour or two is guesswork. I live in south Cali near Unicentro. Unicentro has expanded their food court and last weekend (Sunday) there were a lot of empty tables available. Is that too far for you to go? Are weekends better for you?

Let me know and if you have any other friends here it would be helpful if you could pass this along to them too.

Hi CaliRay
I'm actually in the UK until the end of July and then in Medellin and Bogota until mid-August, sorry. But anytime after that would be great. I have a couple of friends that would definitely be interested in coming too.
Thanks
Mark

Forgot to say that we live in El Penon but Unicentro is fine for us as we have a car.

Hi Mark. Are your friends members of expat.com? If so maybe you could ask them to contact me about this so we might arrange meetings before you return to Cali. If not, I don't mind them contacting me via email. The sooner people commit to meeting the better. People get busy, distracted and forget. It's been not so easy finding those who are really interested.

Reporting back, didn't find any events around museum that would be appropriate for a meetup - was thinking of the offsite campus they have now that looked more intimate on the other side of the river (saw an event there recently).   I am open to any location/event as well.  I live near the zoo.  CaliRay, I think a meetup at a food court sounds perfect and simple for a first meetup.

OR any restaurant - my husband and I are foodies and love to try new places.