Workpermit for Kenya - new rules?!

Is there any link where I can find current pre-requisites for Workpermit application, and which would be the right Class for me (eg. ClassD etc...), processing time like 2months?. I will have my company sponsor me but worried that i read somewhere there is new rule imposed on age>35 & engineering jobs wont get Work permit. Is this true? My offer is much higher than Salary floor of 25k though.

any help appriciated.

Hi theworm and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be advised.;)

Harmonie.

Hi,
Kindly take note of the information below; I retrieved it from an article within this site. However, also take note of information on the attached link as it classifies you as a CLASS D Applicant (http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php? … Itemid=127). I will try to find an answer concerning the "new rule". 

CLASS A WORK PERMIT
A foreigner may choose to apply for a Class A Work Permit where he expects to be employed by the company. This is a relatively more difficult permit to get especially if the work for which the applicant is employed is something that local expertise can meet. This stems from ministerial policy to prevent companies from giving foreigners work which Kenyans can do.

Procedure for Application
An applicant is required to have the following before applying for this class of work permit

1. Form 3 Application for an entry permit. This form is issued by the Ministry of Immigration and it must be completed and signed by the employer and is submitted in duplicate.
2. Two passport–size photographs of the applicant;
3. Copies of the applicant's educational and professional certificates;
4. Originals of the applicant's educational and professional certificates which the immigration office will verify and return;
5. The applicant's curriculum vitae signed and dated;
6. A letter from the employer explaining why the applicant is suitable for the position, why the
applicant was offered the job as opposed to a Kenyan citizen and setting out the applicant's
strengths e.g. experience, training ability, qualifications etc.

NOTIFICATION OF APPROVAL/REJECTION
Once the application is submitted at the Ministry of Immigration it shall be presented to a committee for
approval. This process may take between two and six months depending on how many times the
committee sits and the number of applications they must process.
The committee will usually consider the following things when deciding whether to approve or reject
the application:
1. The amount of investment and its impact on Kenya's economy, which is determined by the
auditors report or bank statement
2. The number of jobs that will be created for Kenyans, which is determined by the application
letter submitted by the applicant's agent
3. The nationality of the applicant. An applicant has a higher chance of approval of his application if his or her country of origin has a stronger economy's than that of Kenya and low criminal statistics and security threats
For both types of work permit applications where the application is approved a Notification of Approval
will be issued. If it is rejected, a Notification of Rejection will be issued. This Notification of Approval is
valid for ninety days pending payment of the government fees.

For a Class A permit if the application is approved a security bond of KES. 100,000/= from either a bank or insurance company should be furnished and a fee of KHz. 100,000/= per annum should be paid, although it is preferable to pay KES. 200,000 for two years. The entry permit is then endorsed on the applicant's passport.

Hi Anne, thanks a lot for your response.

I found some info, which I am still trying to verify from official published 2012 Kenya Gazette Supplement.

Some other website got me confused, which was claiming Age floor is 35 year & salary 25k, i found out that this is for Class K (not Class D, ie. employment VISA)

Old Class A, B, C, D is now New Class D (Employment permit)

a) Class K – Ordinary Resident
A Class K permit shall be issued to persons who are thirty five (35) years old and above. The permit shall not be issued unless the applicant has proved that he has funds or has at his disposition an assured annual income of at least twenty four thousand (US$ 24,000) US dollars ( approximately KShs 2 million).

I will be heading to the immigration offices on Thursday to follow up on a file and could get details that may answer your question. Did you already find an answer to your request?

for now, i presume - that floor set in 2012 of 35 year & 24k$ is for Class K permit not Sponsored Employment Class D VISA. Let us kno if u get confirmation from any sources.

thanks

Will do :)